4K or Ultra Wide help!!!

Cheex18

Hi guys/gals

I am in the midst of an upgrade and i am considering changing monitors and resolutions. Currently i use a TN 4K panel but i've been tempted to change over to a Acer predator x34 (1440p) monitor. I current have 2x980TI in SLI but given that SLI support limited i'm selling one and will sell the other when new cards come out. Here is my question should i keep the TN 4K or change over to the Ultra Wide? Has anyone need in this situation? what you would guys do? Will single cards be able to push 4K on all AAA titles or should i go with the immersive feel ultra wide gives?  HELP!!  

1 minute ago, Cheex18 said:

Hi guys/gals

I am in the midst of an upgrade and i am considering changing monitors and resolutions. Currently i use a TN 4K panel but i've been tempted to change over to a Acer predator x34 (1440p) monitor. I current have 2x980TI in SLI but given that SLI support limited i'm selling one and will sell the other when new cards come out. Here is my question should i keep the TN 4K or change over to the Ultra Wide? Has anyone need in this situation? what you would guys do? Will single cards be able to push 4K on all AAA titles or should i go with the immersive feel ultra wide gives?  HELP!!  

depending on how powerful new gen cards will be, it might only need one card and depending on which card of the new gen you get....

if i was in the situation (me liking two monitors over one)

i'd get two 1440p ultra wides instead of a singular 4k

but if you were only to get one monitor i would keep the 4k you got.

MF UH BEANS

Thank for the feedback Aries,

you would go with 2 Predator x34 monitors? 34"x2? what would that even look like lol... i guess the thing i hate most about my panel is that its TN with poor color reproduction.  

4 minutes ago, Cheex18 said:

you would go with 2 Predator x34 monitors? 34"x2? what would that even look like lol... i guess the thing i hate most about my panel is that its TN with poor color reproduction.  

I'd get one not gaming one and one x34, since it would be cheaper and you wouldn't want to game on both of them

4 minutes ago, Cheex18 said:

I personally can't wait to replace my TN panel with an IPS one. Although I won't go that high-end :)

I considered a 21:9 monitor but I don't think I'd take advantage of it. I don't like playing in windowed mode so I couldn't use it to have Youtube on the side and not all games support ultra-wide aspect ratios.

I'll probably just keep my old monitor on the side, maybe replace it with an even smaller one.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

Hi DJ,

you bring up a good point. but dont MOST AAA titles support ultrawide?

Thanks for the help I went with the X34 but I still have my 4K so I’ll be testing and chose one. The X34 was used at a decent price (650 CAD) so I won’t lost money when I sell. 

having had the x34 I would keep the x34 and get say a 27inch 1440p 144hz gaming moniter, what annoyed me was just some games not supporting UW monitors

I7 7700K @5.0ghz, Asus Z270-P, Corsair H115i, hyperX 16gb, Asus duel 1070, Nzxt H440

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZTsYD8

Hi Brett what games if you don’t mind me asking. I see myself buying some new games in my future and I’ll avoid the ones you list. Thanks