Graphics card may have died!

My system:

i7 3770K

16GB Corasir Vengeance RAM (1600Mhz)

Sapphire AMD 7950 OC Edition

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H

Kingwin Lazer 1000 Watt PSU

Windows 7 Pro

OK, so my system is a little over 5 years old now and I've just replaced the hard drive and SSD a few months back as one was crapping out on me. I had my system on and I had just paused a YouTube video (funny enough, I think it was a Linus video) I came back from getting some water and I had a black screen and I couldn't do anything with my system. I powered down the system and tried to boot up, I see various colored lines over the motherboard splash screen and then I see the Windows loading screen, then it goes black. I left it for 15 minutes and still nothing. I pressed (I didn't have to hold) the power button and it turned off. I tried this a few time and once I got into windows with all of the colored lines on the screen, but in the 5 times or so I've tried to boot with it since then, it hasn't gotten past the black screen after the Windows loading screen.

Since then I've tried booting without the card in there and it boots fine and the system has been usable for a few days since this happened. Today I was able to get my hands on another graphics card I'm borrowing from a friend and with that one it boots just fine, no lines or any other issues. So my card is likely toast, but my question is this, what kind of options do I have for repairing the card? Is there a good thread for this already or a good site that could help me along with it?

I just want to keep it going for a few months until (hopefully) the mining craze dies down and prices relax a bit.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

YouTube channel for Let's Plays = EvilCronos13 - Games: Final Fantasy X HD - Grandia II - Xenogears - Star Ocean: Till the End of Time - Final Fantasy X-2 HD - Legend of Dragoon - Xenosaga III

Intel 3770K - Gigabyte z77x-ud3h - 16GB Corsair Vengence LP - GTX 1060 6GB - Corsair Obsidian 650D - OCZ Agility 3 240GB SSD - Seagate Barracuda 2TB - Kingwin Lazer lz-1000 - Dell U2410 UltraSharp - Cooler Master 212+ - Razer Black Widow Ultimate - Razer Imperator - Logitech Z2300 - Sennheiser HD 598SE

Have you tried running DDU? It *might* just be faulty driver.

*That would be the best situation at least

you can also try reflash the vBIOS, but this is the last resort solution

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Sounds like a fried card. Maybe just solder points under the GPU/vRAM got disconnected, you can fix it with a bit of luck by reflowing in the oven.

19 hours ago, haifisch said:

Sounds like a fried card. Maybe just solder points under the GPU/vRAM got disconnected, you can fix it with a bit of luck by reflowing in the oven.

Now that's even more of a last resort option :P It's rare that this works.

I wouldn't recommend it but if it actually does come down to that...

follow linus's advice on this.

Use a toaster oven you're going to throw away.

Do NOT cook food in it after doing this.

There are poisonous gasses inside electronic components that can be released.

On 2/15/2018 at 11:22 PM, Evil_Cronos said:

My system:

i7 3770K

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H

Windows 7 Pro

OK, so my system is a little over 5 years old now and I've just replaced the hard drive and SSD a few months back as one was crapping out on me. I had my system on and I had just paused a YouTube video (funny enough, I think it was a Linus video) I came back from getting some water and I had a black screen and I couldn't do anything with my system. I powered down the system and tried to boot up, I see various colored lines over the motherboard splash screen and then I see the Windows loading screen, then it goes black. I left it for 15 minutes and still nothing. I pressed (I didn't have to hold) the power button and it turned off. I tried this a few time and once I got into windows with all of the colored lines on the screen, but in the 5 times or so I've tried to boot with it since then, it hasn't gotten past the black screen after the Windows loading screen.

Since then I've tried booting without the card in there and it boots fine and the system has been usable for a few days since this happened. Today I was able to get my hands on another graphics card I'm borrowing from a friend and with that one it boots just fine, no lines or any other issues. So my card is likely toast, but my question is this, what kind of options do I have for repairing the card? Is there a good thread for this already or a good site that could help me along with it?

I just want to keep it going for a few months until (hopefully) the mining craze dies down and prices relax a bit.

Yea, it sounds like a dying card to me.

Purple or green lines right?

I've seen that before in a laptop with a dying graphics card.

I'd try the suggestions about DDU then flashing the bios like others have said here.

If that doesn't work, it's toast.

You can try the oven method like haifisch suggested, but don't take it lightly.

The oven you use with be garbage after you're done unless you want to poison yourself.

You can't use it to cook food again so make sure it's a toaster oven you don't care about.

You also have to do it at the right temps, prop the card up with tinfoil balls so conductive stuff isn't making contact and time it exactly right. Linus did a video on it that you should watch first if you're going to do this, 

but really... it's a batshit crazy thing to try that's probably not going to work so I wouldn't bother.

On 2/15/2018 at 11:22 PM, Evil_Cronos said:

My system:

i7 3770K

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H

Windows 7 Pro

Actually, your CPU has integrated graphics, so just remove the graphics card all together and install the VGA driver for the intel HD graphics to get you by for now. Oh and of course switch your HDMI over to your mobo HDMI port.

26 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Now that's even more of a last resort option :P It's rare that this works.

I wouldn't recommend it but if it actually does come down to that...

follow linus's advice on this.

Use a toaster oven you're going to throw away.

Do NOT cook food in it after doing this.

There are poisonous gasses inside electronic components that can be released.

Very true! Never cook electronics in the same oven you cook food. I feel bad for not mentioning this, it's very important.

But I disagree about the rarity of this working. I did many GPU and laptop reflows in the oven, even smartphones, and the success rate was surprisingly high, from my own experience about 80%. But it really comes down to if the problem really was with the solder joints or not, and how bad it was. Longevity of the repair however is another question... Sometimes it lasts only a few hours, days or weeks, but I've had a few examples when it lasted a couple years even. But this should not be an issue for you as you are going to buy a new card a few months later anyway :)

So if nothing else helps, and you think the cuplrit might be solder joints, then throw that card into the oven as a last resort. The cooler will still look good on the shelf after baking even if it's not repaired :D

2 minutes ago, haifisch said:

Very true! Never cook electronics in the same oven you cook food. I feel bad for not mentioning this, it's very important.

But I disagree about the rarity of this working. I did many GPU and laptop reflows in the oven, even smartphones, and the success rate was surprisingly high, from my own experience about 80%. But it really comes down to if the problem really was with the solder joints or not, and how bad it was. Longevity of the repair however is another question... Sometimes it lasts only a few hours, days or weeks, but I've had a few examples when it lasted a couple years even. But this should not be an issue for you as you are going to buy a new card a few months later anyway :)

So if nothing else helps, and you think the cuplrit might be solder joints, then throw that card into the oven as a last resort. The cooler will still look good on the shelf after baking even if it's not repaired :D

As long as you have a toaster oven you don't care about and watch it carefully, sure go for it :)

I think that how well it works will depend a lot on the user doing it just right too. From what I saw from Linus's video, if you cook it too long and don't use the right temps, it's toast... literally :P 

I remember watching Linus's video about cooking the GPU in the oven, but I had forgotten about the gasses from the chip. I'm glad I didn't just go and do it in my oven, since I only have one, no toaster oven, and I kind of need the one I have to cook food with. Gaming is important, but food is a little more important!

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'm pretty sure the card is dead after trying a few of those, but I'm still waiting to hear back from Sapphire on warranty, which I don't think will go anywhere considering the age of the card. But it looks like I'm stuck buying a new card for now. I wish this had happened 6 months ago when cards were cheaper though!

YouTube channel for Let's Plays = EvilCronos13 - Games: Final Fantasy X HD - Grandia II - Xenogears - Star Ocean: Till the End of Time - Final Fantasy X-2 HD - Legend of Dragoon - Xenosaga III

Intel 3770K - Gigabyte z77x-ud3h - 16GB Corsair Vengence LP - GTX 1060 6GB - Corsair Obsidian 650D - OCZ Agility 3 240GB SSD - Seagate Barracuda 2TB - Kingwin Lazer lz-1000 - Dell U2410 UltraSharp - Cooler Master 212+ - Razer Black Widow Ultimate - Razer Imperator - Logitech Z2300 - Sennheiser HD 598SE