Looking for a semi-portable/portable gaming laptop for school with a budget of around 2k+ USD

J_Mango

Initially, I was hardset on getting a Razer blade 14 due to it's sexy build quality and it being my dream laptop but after digging around forums here and there I discovered that previous blade owners have had many complaints about their devices from it straight up breaking down to bad customer support from razer. So I've resulted to asking strangers on the LTT forum for advice on choosing a laptop for school. 

The things I'm looking for in a laptop would be:

~Decent battery life (above 5h the more the better) 

~It being able to run pubg at competitive setting(is a gtx 1060 just or more than enough? I haven't seen any topics on laptops and if they can run pubg (please comment on this too :D)) 

~portable/semi-portable (i was looking at msi's gs series, the alienware 13,razer blade aero 15(more suggestions would be nice)) 

~and would be able to last me at least 3 years (more preferably as I'm destroying my savings with this purchase) (So far I've heard complaints about msi, gigabyte and razer having poor reliability) 

Ps: I already have a desktop that I game on when I'm at home and I'm looking for a laptop then i can use as a daily driver and still occasionally game on so please don't comment saying I can build a better desktop with that amount of money :)

A thank you in advance to everyone who replies. 

Yeah don't get a Blade. Try some MSI Stealth or Gigabyte Aero

41 minutes ago, J_Mango said:

PUBG will run like crap on anything? And a gaming laptop isn't really going to have the battery life you want.

Would possibly suggest a Ryzen APU laptop, as it'll be alright at gaming while maintaining pretty good battery life.

41 minutes ago, J_Mango said:

(more preferably as I'm destroying my savings with this purchase)

And that is exactly why you should just get a reasonable laptop at $1000 or less, or build a $500-600 Ryzen APU desktop and carry a cheap netbook or used laptop with you if needed, do you absolutely need your gaming machine to be portable? As you could build a Vesa Mountable ITX rig and haul a monitor + PC with you whenever there's a lan party? Just a crazy thought.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

5 hours ago, Streetguru said:

PUBG will run like crap on anything? And a gaming laptop isn't really going to have the battery life you want.

Would possibly suggest a Ryzen APU laptop, as it'll be alright at gaming while maintaining pretty good battery life.

And that is exactly why you should just get a reasonable laptop at $1000 or less, or build a $500-600 Ryzen APU desktop and carry a cheap netbook or used laptop with you if needed, do you absolutely need your gaming machine to be portable? As you could build a Vesa Mountable ITX rig and haul a monitor + PC with you whenever there's a lan party? Just a crazy thought.

Im kinda prepared to destroy my savings as I am on holiday and have been working haha

5 hours ago, Generallee said:

Yeah don't get a Blade. Try some MSI Stealth or Gigabyte Aero

I've heard that both gigabyte and msi laptops don't last really long though. From personal experience my parents both have gigabyte laptops and both of them are experiencing issues. 

Just now, J_Mango said:

I've heard that both gigabyte and msi laptops don't last really long though. From personal experience my parents both have gigabyte laptops and both of them are experiencing issues. 

Well my not so thin and light GT62vr is going pretty well with no apparent issues so i'm speaking from experience, if you don't feel confident enough with an MSI maybe you should check Clevo, I believe they make some pretty nice models

Just don't ever get a blade, or god forbid an HP Omen

3 minutes ago, Generallee said:

Well my not so thin and light GT62vr is going pretty well with no apparent issues so i'm speaking from experience, if you don't feel confident enough with an MSI maybe you should check Clevo, I believe they make some pretty nice models

Just don't ever get a blade, or god forbid an HP Omen

Thought on the alienware 13 and is its battery life decent? Also have you heard of any rma issues about the aero 15 (the aero 14 is sold out everywhere in my country) 

Just now, J_Mango said:

Thought on the alienware 13 and is its battery life decent? Also have you heard of any rma issues about the aero 15 (the aero 14 is sold out everywhere in my country) 

I can't say mate, they never sold these in my country so I have yet to see one in front of me

1 hour ago, J_Mango said:

Thought on the alienware 13 and is its battery life decent?

Yes, the non gsync and non OLED model

If you need portability, 1060 and good battery life, Gigabyte Aero 15 or Alienware 13 (a bit bulky)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128