GPU boost question

rfcokilljoy

okay so i know gpu boost in nvidia cards changes the frequency by temperature, but is this technically necessary? i know it keeps temperatures within a more desirable range, but would a card still work if gpu boost just let the card go to its max and stay there?

as an example - my card boosts to around 2170mhz when temps are good, but drops to 2075 when in the 80's, if the card stayed at 2170 the entire time and say hit 90 degrees, would everything crash?

what im asking really i guess is - does gpu boost throttle down to stop crashes and errors AS WELL AS keeping thermals down? 

i5 7600k @5.2ghz 1.39v i7 7700k @5.1ghz 1.39v / Strix z270h / 16gb Trident z RGB 3200mhz CL16 1.35v (2400mhz CL15 kit overclocked) / GTX 1070ti sli both with Arctic Accelero Xtreme iv coolers / EVGA 750w Gold PSU

Samsung cf791 3440x1440 100hz Quantum Dot

Haven't broken something with an OC yet... YET.

yes, if the temperature gets too high, it will crash. also it needs to stay within its power limit 

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

17 minutes ago, rfcokilljoy said:

okay so i know gpu boost in nvidia cards changes the frequency by temperature, but is this technically necessary? i know it keeps temperatures within a more desirable range, but would a card still work if gpu boost just let the card go to its max and stay there?

as an example - my card boosts to around 2170mhz when temps are good, but drops to 2075 when in the 80's, if the card stayed at 2170 the entire time and say hit 90 degrees, would everything crash?

what im asking really i guess is - does gpu boost throttle down to stop crashes and errors AS WELL AS keeping thermals down? 

If gpu is throttling, it will reach very low mhz's to cool down the card and prevent damage.

The clock is dependent on temperatures and thermals. Setting fans to 100% and maxing out the power slider will allow it to sustain higher clocks.

While lower temperatures can allow the core to be more stable, I believe that GPU boost decreases the frequency (and decreases the voltage) because it does not want to cause more heat than the cooling solution can dissipate.

GPU Boost 3.0 is very sensitive to both power and thermals. Generally just keeping the temps in the 60s and maxing your power limit will give you the highest sustained clocks.

Card only boosts to high anyway. Could have the card at 30c and still wont go high. 

I wouldn't worry about it, the few hz it goes go up aren't doing anything but no reason a card should be at 80 or 90c.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz