IKEA Linnmon for dual monitor arm?

ldmendes7

I have a 24” and a 27” monitor that I want to put on a Dual monitor mount  and the desk I want to get is the IKEA Linnmon. I am just wondering beacuse that style of desk is quite cheap, will it be sturdy enough to hold the dual monitor mount?

Probably, but if you are buying from IKEA I guess you are close to one of their warehouses? if so you could go look on the table and shake it and see if it moves a lot.

Tho most IKEA products are great quality so there should not be any issues with this.

Back-end developer, electronics "hacker"

Ok, I might get two single monitor arms because I will have more maneuverability and it will put a smaller amount of pressure on two point shots instead of just the one pressure point with the load of two monitors. 

IKEA products are quite good, even at the low-range (price-wise, and I'm talking about anything other than their hand/power tools, which are cheap and fairly crap unless you want to use them more than twice a month).

If you're going with a single arm, make sure the table top is not hollow, or else it'll just break.

If you're going with two arms and the monitors aren't excessively heavy, you should be fine even with a hollow table top.

I reinforced my mounting point with 2 strips of metal since my setup is a bit awkward.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

By itself the linnmon might not hold for too long. It held up an ~13-14 pound 24 inch monitor for over a year reinforced with like a 1x1x8 inch piece of wood and a folded washcloth. In the end it was left with a pretty significant indent when the mount was when I swapped for a more proper desk. Personally I wouldn't recommend more than a single 24 inch or less, and even then I would exactly recommend the linnmon for mounting, though it can work its far from an permanent solution.

There are solid wood table tops form ikea aswell, i would definately look at those.

I doubt it will be sturdy enough to hold a dual monitor arm.  I purchased a cheap desk off ebay once for a similar purpose and luckily I was able to catch the monitors in time when the table top broke.  Don't cheap out on good furniture.

While the Linnmon is serviceable, I don't think it would do too well in your desired setup unless you did some modifications. You're better off with something like one of their kitchen countertops if you're wanting to keep the price somewhat reasonable.

I just want to warn you. the legs in the picture are crap. I have a desk with those and no matter how tightly I screw them in, no matter how flat the floor is the result is the same. The desk wobbles a bit.

I have a few LINNMON desks in one of our offices and while they are quite strong, after a year or two with a 20" HP monitor in the centre they are starting to sag. 

I would say if you are going to get them, get an extra leg to put directly under the monitors and you should be fine

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

As the above warnings tell you about the Linmon it can work but itll be stressing the table... If you have the money I suggest getting the upgrade to the IKEA Godavari? Sorry I suck with IKEA names and am on mobile ATM...

A youtuber I watch sometimes has it and swears by it... And he has dual ultrawides... If you want an example of it in use YouTube Swashin setup tour 2018 or something along those lines. Unlike Linmon its solid wood its meant to be a countertop not a small table

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas