SOLVED-6 sticks of ram run in dual channel but not in tripple

Go to solution Solved by leodiavata,
21 minutes ago, emosun said:

so are you not running identical ram then but two different sets of 3?

Apparently that is what was happening. I bought the pc recently and did not check. They are all corsair dominator platinums but one is rated for 1600 MHz and the other 2000 MHz I just noticed after removing them. It went to triple channel after I left the 1600 kit inside. Is there a way to make it work though ? I set all the ram to run at 1600 with the same timings.

So I bought an x58 system recently . What I noticed today in cpuz is that my 12 gb of ram (6 sticks of 2gb) run at dual channel . Are they not supposed to run in triple channel since all the right slots are populated?

Also I have a weird problem , my mouse jumps around if I plug it in the back of the motherboard.

This is the motherboard I have

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-EX58-EXTREME-rev-10#ov

It should indeed run in triple channel, but x58 is also known for being very picky when it comes to memory. The fact it runs at all is a small miracle.

I wouldn't worry about it and just be happy with the fact it works.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

what processor are you using? triple channel is only supported by a handful of them

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

what processor are you using? triple channel is only supported by a handful of them

Every x58 CPU supports triple channel...

As for the OP... Take out the RAM and reinstall it; preferably 1 module at a time and check every time you change something. I've ran into this problem many times while using x58 with 6 DIMMs and reseating the memory usually fixes it.

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

2 minutes ago, leodiavata said:

i7 920 . Planning to get xeon x5650

that board doesn't support the x5650 , it barely supports 2 cpu's from the 5600 series at all

you be better off getting a higher end i7 that it supported in it's last bios update or just going with a newer platform.

are all the sticks you have matching? have you enabled triple channel in the bios? have you tried to enable it with 6gb of ram?

1 minute ago, Ground said:

Every x58 CPU supports triple channel...

dellsarmyducks.png

Yes they are 2 sets of triple channel memory kit. Well I looked around in bios , did not find anything that "Enables" triple channel.

1 minute ago, leodiavata said:

Yes they are 2 sets of triple channel memory kit. Well I looked around in bios , did not find anything that "Enables" triple channel.

It might be a faulty board or ram it is hard to say, I would recommend what @Ground suggested

Also don't forget to quote or tag people so they see that you replied

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

2 minutes ago, leodiavata said:

Yes they are 2 sets

so all 6 sticks aren't the same then?

you have one set of 3 and a different set of 3?

Just now, emosun said:

dellsarmyducks.png

What are your trying to say there? All x58 CPUs are listed there...

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

that board doesn't support the x5650 , it barely supports 2 cpu's from the 5600 series at all

you be better off getting a higher end i7 that it supported in it's last bios update or just going with a newer platform.

are all the sticks you have matching? have you enabled triple channel in the bios? have you tried to enable it with 6gb of ram?

Well, Gigabyte lists the x5650 on basically none of their boards and yet it works on basically all of them. And its not like it could be sent back if it doesn't... Spending 150$+ on a 6 core i7 for x58 is certainly a complete waste.

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

8 minutes ago, Ground said:

Well, Gigabyte lists the x5650 on basically none of their boards and yet it works on basically all of them. And its not like it could be sent back if it doesn't... Spending 150$+ on a 6 core i7 for x58 is certainly a complete waste.

The x5650 costs 40-60 euro in Greece so even if it does not work I can resell it.

21 minutes ago, emosun said:

Apparently that is what was happening. I bought the pc recently and did not check. They are all corsair dominator platinums but one is rated for 1600 MHz and the other 2000 MHz I just noticed after removing them. It went to triple channel after I left the 1600 kit inside. Is there a way to make it work though ? I set all the ram to run at 1600 with the same timings.

Also the 1600 kit has suggested timings (7-7-7-20) while the 2000 kit (8-8-8-20)

nope , the ram has to match. some exact sticks and part numbers

my main rig also uses 6 sticks running in triple channel , when i wanted 12 more gigs I had to buy the exact same dimms. only way to do it

Never mind made it work. Just set the higher timings of the 2000 kit and it registers as triple channel now

Since manually adding timings seemed unstable , enabling the xmp profile did the trick too.
With xmp it seems to run stable .
Didn't do a full prime 95 test but ran Aida64 (CPU cache ram) for 20 mins no crash no bsod.
While with manual timings it crashed within 7-10 mins