Streaming Bitrate for high action games @ 720p 48 fps?

So I just got into streaming, but I noticed the other day that @ 2500 kbs my streams with a lot of action but are not demanding on my computer (2d platformers for example) look blurry as hell when going fast on YouTube live. What should be my Bitrate be of considering I get about 12 Mbps upload? 

I also have an RX 470 and an i7 4790 with 8 gigs of RAM. I currently have obs on the "faster" CPU preset.

I'll drop the framerate if need be, but I'd really prefer to stay at 48 if I can. My main concern is can my internet handle a higher bitrate. For more demanding games I'm going to drop it down to 30 fps, but I'd like to be able to run at 48 for certain games if possible

Capture.JPG

isnt 2500kbs 2.5mbs, while 12mbps is only 1.5 mbs? So isnt your connection already bottlenecking you?

Your  RX 470 has a hardware encoder, which should be capable of up to 1080p @ 60 fps and even higher. This will reduce the cpu usage to a minimum, leaving your cpu free for the games.

Use OBS with AMF support ( AMD Advanced Media Framework) and your card will do the encoding.  For your internet connection, I'd try around 6-8 mbps, should be fairly safe to stream at those speeds.

If you want to use cpu to encode, then you can do better than "faster" preset, tweak that... you can create a custom "preset" for x264, and optionally even use some of the x264 parameters that optimize it for pixel games, anime etc

2.5 mbps is simply too little for lots of instant motion when you have 48fps, even at just 720p.

You should be careful about using such custom refresh rates, Youtube may be re-encoding your videos to 30fps or 60fps on the fly. Right click on stream and check stats and all that (hit the "stats for nerds" menu option). 

1 minute ago, Almostbauws said:

isnt 2500kbs 2.5mbs, while 12mbps is only 1.5 mbs?

2500 kbps is 2.5 megabits per second  , 12 mbps is 12 megabits per second

There's 8 megabits in a MB so 12 MB is 1.5 MB/s.

7 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Your  RX 470 has a hardware encoder, which should be capable of up to 1080p @ 60 fps and even higher. This will reduce the cpu usage to a minimum, leaving your cpu free for the games.

Use OBS with AMF support ( AMD Advanced Media Framework) and your card will do the encoding.  For your internet connection, I'd try around 6-8 mbps, should be fairly safe to stream at those speeds.

If you want to use cpu to encode, then you can do better than "faster" preset, tweak that... you can create a custom "preset" for x264, and optionally even use some of the x264 parameters that optimize it for pixel games, anime etc

2.5 mbps is simply too little for lots of instant motion when you have 48fps, even at just 720p.

You should be careful about using such custom refresh rates, Youtube may be re-encoding your videos to 30fps or 60fps on the fly. Right click on stream and check stats and all that (hit the "stats for nerds" menu option). 

Wouldn't I be better off using a lower Bitrate using just my CPU? Like doing 3.5 Mbps no graphics card encoding 

19 minutes ago, mariushm said:

2500 kbps is 2.5 megabits per second  , 12 mbps is 12 megabits per second

There's 8 megabits in a MB so 12 MB is 1.5 MB/s.

Read his statement again. He says 2500kbs not KBPS. So 2500 KBS is 2.5 MBS which is 20 MBPS.

Not really. At that low bitrate combined with that fast preset, you'd probably get higher quality using the hardware encoder set on "slowest / highest quality" settings. With the hardware encoder, adjusting the quality settings doesn't affect the cpu, so you can do hardware encoding on "highest quality" at 60fps easily.

x264 compresses so well when it can remove the duplicate information from consecutive frames and when it can sort of "blur" out edges and shapes in order to compress better - think of it like the jpeg compression where detail is lost the more you drop the percentage of quality.

The more you change that quality preset from medium to fast or ultrafast, the you're reducing the amount of cpu time x264 has to make such decisions, so it will not do a lot of analyzing frames, won't look up in consecutive frames to only encode data once for several frames, and then you're further restricting it by setting a low bitrate.

When it has only 2500 kbps to encode your video, that's 52 kbps or around 6 KB of data for every 1280x720 frame in your video, it's quite small, so because the codec has very little cpu time, it basically chops quality using some very quick and basic determinations.

You can increase the bitrate and let it keep more detail in each image.

The fast preset is also probably not optimum for your needs. If you have pixel games or games with very artsy graphics or cell shaded or cartoony games it may be worth to enable "animation" tweaks like changing the deblock settings, increasing bframes, reference frames 

And for example you could disable CABAC (less cpu usage for 10-30% more bitrate used) and use that cpu saved to increase the encoding quality... 

Lots of other things.

2 minutes ago, Almostbauws said:

Read his statement again. He says 2500kbs not KBPS. So 2500 KBS is 2.5 MBS which is 20 MBPS.

No, dude.

2500 kbps  is 2500 thousands of bits per second. That's 2.5 megabits per second.

There's 8 bits in a byte, so 2500 kbps is 2,500,000 bits per second is equal to 312,500 bytes per second, and from here you can either divide by 1000 or 1024 ... so you have either 312.5 KB/s and 0.3125 MB/s , or you have 305.17 KiB.s or 0.298 MiB/s

His upload speed is 12.22 Mbps or megabits per second.  That's 12,220,000 bits per second or 1,527,500  bytes per second.

37 minutes ago, mariushm said:

No, dude.

2500 kbps  is 2500 thousands of bits per second. That's 2.5 megabits per second.

There's 8 bits in a byte, so 2500 kbps is 2,500,000 bits per second is equal to 312,500 bytes per second, and from here you can either divide by 1000 or 1024 ... so you have either 312.5 KB/s and 0.3125 MB/s , or you have 305.17 KiB.s or 0.298 MiB/s

His upload speed is 12.22 Mbps or megabits per second.  That's 12,220,000 bits per second or 1,527,500  bytes per second.

"So I just got into streaming, but I noticed the other day that @ 2500 KBS my streams with a lot of action but are not demanding on my computer."

KBS =/= KBPS