Router-Modem Combo vs seperate

stephankusel

I need to know which setup would be faster and better in general.

Option 1: Modem-Router All in one device.

Option 2: Buy a seperate modem hook it up to a Router via an Ethernet connection.

In my opinion, option 2 will provide a more stable internet connection as each device is separate, allowing for better cooling and for each device to handle its own function, but I could be wrong.

So which do I choose?

Personally, I like to keep them separate but I can understand the desire to keep it all in a single box, makes things a bit easier to manage and simplifies all the devices and can be cheaper as well. I've seen a lot of bad reviews and experiences with combo units but I know there are some that can be good, it's just a bit of a challenge to find them sometimes. Cooling generally isn't an issue either way so long as you aren't keeping them in some tiny enclosed space but if you are then separating them could be beneficial to some extent.

If you think that you might want to have the router away from the modem, like in a situation where the cable only comes in one part of the house but you want the router more centrally located then definitely splitting them has the advantage there.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

5 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

For a average user no difference. For advanced use option 2 but not because of a more stable internet connection.

In contrast to what you said, i have ALWAYS experienced issues when using a built-in modem combo. And i'm not even kidding - every single time i have tried using my modem for everything, it crashed on a weekly basis, no matter what make/model of a modem i had, even when switching providers. I've only used them for WiFi and some basic QoS or port forwarding. Every time i had to use a router to host the PPPoE connection or to just manage the routing and wifi network for my network to function okay

Don't forget to quote when replying to me

21 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

AVM FritzBox are known for lightning strike problems (RIP my two old FritzBox) but not for stability issues. The features they lack are manageability options which you get on enterprise/small business products. For regular home use they can do everything including telephone system, NAS (slow) and DECT home automation.

Sure thing. I just wanted to mention that in my case, while not putting a big load on the modem, the modem was never enough to keep a stable internet connection.

Don't forget to quote when replying to me

1 hour ago, stephankusel said:

I need to know which setup would be faster and better in general.

Option 1: Modem-Router All in one device.

Option 2: Buy a seperate modem hook it up to a Router via an Ethernet connection.

In my opinion, option 2 will provide a more stable internet connection as each device is separate, allowing for better cooling and for each device to handle its own function, but I could be wrong.

So which do I choose?

I prefer option two, more because I find its easier to trouble shoot internet issues vs router issues. Also, if you have a lot of devices, an all in one devices might over heat. Also, Modems tend to last longer than routers. So, you have the option of upgrading your router when ever you want. Upgrading your modem can be a little of a pain because you have to contact your ISP to register it in most cases. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Thanks to everyone for your replies, it helped provide an insight from your perspectives. Much appreciated