M.2 SSD or Sata III: Which one to choose?

Popi
Go to solution Solved by Princess Luna,

Personally speaking the only reason to get M.2 is if you're making a super small build and needs every free space you can use, if you're making a normal computer the Evo SATA 3 option gets my vote.

Hello,

I'd like some help for choosing which SSD to buy.

I've been looking towards:

1) Corsair MP500 NVMe PCIe M.2 240GB (Costs 135€)

2) Samsng SSD 860 EVO SATA III 250GB (Costs 100€)

Thought of getting M.2 because read/write speeds, but will I even recognise this difference? I'd mostly store windows, autocad, photoshop etc on that drive.

Thank you in advance.

|| i7-4790k | MSI Z87-G45 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16GB | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Corsair RM650i 80+ Gold | Corsair 200R ||

if you are using it as a boot device i would reccommend the M.2 drive. eventough it might not be an obvious difference, it might help when you have a lot of programs starting with windows.

You probably wouldn't see a big enough difference to actually care. Most people don't notice the difference between NVMe drives and normal SATA3 speeds. I would recommend the Samsung 860 just for the extra 10Gb space and it's cheaper.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, RollinLower said:

if you are using it as a boot device i would reccommend the M.2 drive. eventough it might not be an obvious difference, it might help when you have a lot of programs starting with windows.

I rarely boot my pc, it's 24/7 on.. Task manager used to show boot times with 18 seconds :D At the moment it might be 7-8 seconds..

Isn't heat problem with those M.2 drives?

|| i7-4790k | MSI Z87-G45 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16GB | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Corsair RM650i 80+ Gold | Corsair 200R ||

Personally speaking the only reason to get M.2 is if you're making a super small build and needs every free space you can use, if you're making a normal computer the Evo SATA 3 option gets my vote.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

You probably wouldn't see a big enough difference to actually care. Most people don't notice the difference between NVMe drives and normal SATA3 speeds. I would recommend the Samsung 860 just for the extra 10Gb space and it's cheaper.

In this case I'll go with Sata one.. Thanks. 

Keep in mind that M.2 is a form factor whereas NVMe is a protocol. M.2 drives can be NVMe OR SATA III.

That said, I agree with everyone else. The difference will be negligible in most tasks. As @Princess Cadence said, if you don't have the space or don't fee like running SATA data & power, M.2 is good. Otherwise, save a few bucks and go 2.5.