GT 1030 on a 250 Power Supply

Santifire
Go to solution Solved by aisle9,
12 minutes ago, RedwoodAyy said:

Assume that he doesn't just have a CPU and GPU; (which even isn't an assumption it requires so little common sense) and that maybe, just maybe, he has fans? And a keyboard? And god forbid, a mouse?!

I'm almost doubling the CPU/GPU load to get to 150W. In my experience, even using a system with two SSDs, three HDDs, four fans and an aftermarket cooler, that's a pretty reasonable ratio. Because of how lightweight the CPU and GPU are in terms of power draw, I might be shooting a little low. I really don't think I am, though. Unless it's an absolute garbage tier Diablotek or Logisys, I don't see a reason why 250W wouldn't be more than enough power. You can stop trying to prove that you're the smartest guy in the room, because neither one of us is, and childish jabs at me do nothing to help your case. Not everyone's running a 6-GPU toaster oven, and not everyone needs a PSU that's rated for double the power draw that the system will actually use.

Hi, 

I was asking for someone’s that can help me, can someone say me if the GT 1030 can work with a 250 w Power Supply ??

My specs: 

I3-4170
x1 4 G Ram ddr3
x1 8 G Ram ddr3
Keyboard y mouse Gaming 
x1 Sata 7.2k RPM

Yeah, you're fine. The 1030 uses something like 30W at full load.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

Your cpu uses like 55 watt at max power draw, and the GT 1030 around 30 at max power draw, so you're fine.

Main gaming pc: Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance - Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI GTX1080Ti Armor - AMD Wraith Spire RGB - ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200MHz - 500GB M.2 (and a few other drives)

Gaming laptop: ASUS GL552VW: i7 6700HQ - GTX960M 2GB - 8GB DDR4 2166Mhz RAM - 1TB 7200RPM HDD

4 minutes ago, Santifire said:

Hi, 

I was asking for someone’s that can help me, can someone say me if the GT 1030 can work with a 250 w Power Supply ??

My specs: 

I3-4170
x1 4 G Ram ddr3
x1 8 G Ram ddr3
Keyboard y mouse Gaming 
x1 Sata 7.2k RPM

The average draw would be 214W.

If you want it barely functioning, sure.

Cryptocurrency hobbyist! xD

Currently mining Ethereum at 180 Mh/s with 6x GPUs.

Currently buying Stellar Lumens (XLM) and Tron (TRX).  

Currently pumping with Big Pump Signal.

1 minute ago, RedwoodAyy said:

The average draw would be 214W.

If you want it barely functioning, sure.

Where in the hell are you getting that number from? That's not average, that's full load on everything, worst case scenario, with everything eating up its maximum power at once. Even in mining rigs, that sort of 100% on all the things is rare. This PC will draw about 150W on average.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

7 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Where in the hell are you getting that number from? That's not average, that's full load on everything, worst case scenario, with everything eating up its maximum power at once. Even in mining rigs, that sort of 100% on all the things is rare. This PC will draw about 150W on average.

A calculator, dumbass. Don't need to be such an asshole.

3 minutes ago, RedwoodAyy said:

A calculator, dumbass. Don't need to be such an asshole.

You're inputting the theoretical "auxiliary power to the engines, take it from life support if you have to!" numbers in there. The 4170 draws 54W, the 1030 30W. That's 84W between the CPU and GPU under full load, and unless the OP is using a Z97 board for some reason, those are the most power-hungry components on it. I think even 150W for a typical gaming load is a little high. If that system is pulling 214W, the OP is CPU mining and GPU mining while benchmarking the hard drive and running a stress test on the CPU and memory at the same time.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

You're inputting the theoretical "auxiliary power to the engines, take it from life support if you have to!" numbers in there. The 4170 draws 54W, the 1030 30W. That's 84W between the CPU and GPU under full load, and unless the OP is using a Z97 board for some reason, those are the most power-hungry components on it. I think even 150W for a typical gaming load is a little high. If that system is pulling 214W, the OP is CPU mining and GPU mining while benchmarking the hard drive and running a stress test on the CPU and memory at the same time.

1. I never disagreed with you on any stance. You chose to play the "I'm the most intelligent one in the room" card, out of sheer petulance. 

2. Assume that he doesn't just have a CPU and GPU; (which even isn't an assumption it requires so little common sense) and that maybe, just maybe, he has fans? And a keyboard? And god forbid, a mouse?!

3. Don't try to educate me on mining. I run a 6 GPU mining rig and I know a damned thing about power management. All you Zencash miners are the same.

29 minutes ago, xDanielxOossiex said:

Your cpu uses like 55 watt at max power draw, and the GT 1030 around 30 at max power draw, so you're fine.

And Ram, dvd, and that little piece se ?

12 minutes ago, RedwoodAyy said:

Assume that he doesn't just have a CPU and GPU; (which even isn't an assumption it requires so little common sense) and that maybe, just maybe, he has fans? And a keyboard? And god forbid, a mouse?!

I'm almost doubling the CPU/GPU load to get to 150W. In my experience, even using a system with two SSDs, three HDDs, four fans and an aftermarket cooler, that's a pretty reasonable ratio. Because of how lightweight the CPU and GPU are in terms of power draw, I might be shooting a little low. I really don't think I am, though. Unless it's an absolute garbage tier Diablotek or Logisys, I don't see a reason why 250W wouldn't be more than enough power. You can stop trying to prove that you're the smartest guy in the room, because neither one of us is, and childish jabs at me do nothing to help your case. Not everyone's running a 6-GPU toaster oven, and not everyone needs a PSU that's rated for double the power draw that the system will actually use.

9 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

1. Do you know the definition of petulance? Because you basically restated what I said.

2. PSUs operate best at a 2/3rds draw of capacity. Only making an educated response.

3. Please quote where I said it would not suffice.

1 minute ago, RedwoodAyy said:

2. PSUs operate best at a 2/3rds draw of capacity. Only making an educated response.

An incorrect one, at that.

Have a nice day.

Just now, aisle9 said:

An incorrect one, at that.

Have a nice day.

I love how you don't answer two of my responses. You know your incorrect, but your ego is clouding your logic.

Screen Shot 2018-02-04 at 11.10.36 AM.png