AMD rx 460

Dinklenady

I understand that an APU is not a GPU, but my FX 550IU is experiencing some problems, and i need help

The thermals are somewhat fine, but from all the tests and benchmark shown on the ASUS event, this laptop is supposed to give me higher performance.

It is giving me 45 fps on low setting in overwatch but 60 fps in high which is weird and in dota2 I'm supposed to get 60 fps in high but im getting only 30, i am also unable to see my amd configuration if i right click my desktop. 

The insides are:

-8gb ram

-1tb HDD

-250 gb SSD

-APU = FX-9830P

-GPU - Rx 460

The problem that i had theorized from searching the web is that my drivers are outdated, this is true because last time i updated my driver to the newest version is that i broke my gpu and did not work until i uninstall the drivers completely and reinstall the driver that is the 2nd most recent. I had tried uninstalling and reinstalling and still there has been no changes if i had not updated it to the 2nd most driver i wouldn't be able to game at all.

16 minutes ago, Dinklenady said:

I understand that an APU is not a GPU, but my FX 550IU is experiencing some problems, and i need help

The thermals are somewhat fine, but from all the tests and benchmark shown on the ASUS event, this laptop is supposed to give me higher performance.

It is giving me 45 fps on low setting in overwatch but 60 fps in high which is weird and in dota2 I'm supposed to get 60 fps in high but im getting only 30, i am also unable to see my amd configuration if i right click my desktop. 

The insides are:

-8gb ram

-1tb HDD

-250 gb SSD

-APU = FX-9830P

-GPU - Rx 460

The problem that i had theorized from searching the web is that my drivers are outdated, this is true because last time i updated my driver to the newest version is that i broke my gpu and did not work until i uninstall the drivers completely and reinstall the driver that is the 2nd most recent. I had tried uninstalling and reinstalling and still there has been no changes if i had not updated it to the 2nd most driver i wouldn't be able to game at all.

That CPU is not the greatest but it's passable. Your CPU is not good in CPU demanding situations in games.

When you're playing at high settings you're mostly GPU dependant which is why it's performimg better.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

That CPU is not the great but it's passable. Your CPU is not good in CPU demanding situations in games.

When you're playing at high settings you're mostly GPU dependant which is why it's performimg better.

yes, what he said

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

That CPU is not the great but it's passable. Your CPU is not good in CPU demanding situations in games.

I see that does make sense. but do you happen to have any idea for a solution to my driver problem?

Just now, Dinklenady said:

I see that does make sense. but do you happen to have any idea for a solution to my driver problem?

Contact Asus for help with that.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

41 minutes ago, Dinklenady said:

It is giving me 45 fps on low setting in overwatch but 60 fps in high which is weird

As you lower graphic settings, the GPU can render more FPS, demanding the CPU to work on those frames. It could lead to higher CPU temps and, eventually, throttling, which leads to lower performance and FPS.

Being a laptop APU, the key is which combination of GPU and CPU load generates less heat / less throttling.

I have no clue whether this is actually what's happening, but it's a conjecture about how lower settings could lead to counter-intuitive results.

56 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

As you lower graphic settings, the GPU can render more FPS, demanding the CPU to work on those frames. It could lead to higher CPU temps and, eventually, throttling, which leads to lower performance and FPS.

Being a laptop APU, the key is which combination of GPU and CPU load generates less heat / less throttling.

I have no clue whether this is actually what's happening, but it's a conjecture about how lower settings could lead to counter-intuitive results.

ok wow, that has actually made it so much clearer thank you so much dude