7700k delid problems

So I delided my 7700k last night with the rocket delid/relid kit and replaced the stock TIM with grizzly kryonaut.  Before delid I was hitting 87c on my hottest core on p95 26.6 (edit: only at 4.6 ghz).   I let the silicone I used to reattach the IHS dry dry over night.  I was sure to leave gaps when applying it.

So the good news.  I ran home for lunch from work just now and put it back in.  It booted up!  Appeared to run normally.  Booted up p95.   My core temps were in the 90s.  I'm going to test more when I get home from work but I'm probably going to have to delid again.  I'm assuming the IHS isn't making good contact with the die.  Could it be because of the silicone I used to reattach the IHS being put on too think?  Maybe I didn't put enough paste on the die?  I was sure to coat the entire surface of the die also put some on the IHS trying to ensure good contact.

Any suggestions or insights or tips would be appreciated.

My Rig:

-i7 7700k @ 4.8 Ghz, delid

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V @ 3000Mhz

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-Crucial MX300 525GB, 2TB HDD

-Fractal Design Define Nano S

-650 80+ Gold semi modular from EVGA

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

9 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

So I delided my 7700k last night with the rocket delid/relid kit and replaced the stock TIM with grizzly kryonaut.  Before delid I was hitting 87c on my hottest core on p95 26.6 (edit: only at 4.6 ghz).   I let the silicone I used to reattach the IHS dry dry over night.  I was sure to leave gaps when applying it.

So the good news.  I ran home for lunch from work just now and put it back in.  It booted up!  Appeared to run normally.  Booted up p95.   My core temps were in the 90s.  I'm going to test more when I get home from work but I'm probably going to have to delid again.  I'm assuming the IHS isn't making good contact with the die.  Could it be because of the silicone I used to reattach the IHS being put on too think?  Maybe I didn't put enough paste on the die?  I was sure to coat the entire surface of the die also put some on the IHS trying to ensure good contact.

Any suggestions or insights or tips would be appreciated.

Yes.  When I did mine I didn't re-seal the IHS, I just use the socket to hold it against the PCB.  I was worried about your exact situation.

Check to make sure you have the cooler mounted correctly and the thermal paste is looking good there, but I wanted to make sure I had good contact from the die to the IHS.

Here's a picture of my 8700K with the silicon and liquid metal prior to re-lidding. Temps went down 15 degrees or so using Realbench. So at least you have something to compare against. I also did similar with my 7700K, but unfortunately don't have images with the liquid metal applied

20171109_170554.thumb.jpg.aef7ca8c5cd999d992aba8b26fd42d0b.jpg

Do NOT run prime95 on anything newer than ivy bridge. It overvolts your chip and you run a serious risk of damaging the cpu. The temperature readings you get from it are not realistic anyway as it makes your cpu run outside of normal bounds.

As for your problem, it's possible the IHS wasn't making perfect contact while the silicone was drying and now it's stuck that way. If you decide to re-delid, try using a book to keep the IHS under pressure while it's drying.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I as well dropped 15degree delidding my 8700k. If your temps are now higher, sounds like you have a micro gap in the IHS like you said.

However I wouldn't necessarily steer away from relidding with a sealant. Mine is resealed and still dropped 15c temp wise.

I would, like Glen mentioned, make sure the cooler has proper paste applied and making good contact.

Could also try another paste on the inside like a liquid metal to create a better bond between the two surfaces.

Osmium: NFC Skyreach 4 // i7-8700k (delidd) // GTX 1080 // 32GB DDR4-3200Mhz // 1TB 960 Evo M.2 // 1.1TB MX300 m.2
Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow // Razer Orbweaver // Razer Kraken // Logitech G502 // Logitech K830 // LG 34UC88-B

Usage: Adobe Lightroom // Adobe Photoshop // Web Dev // Recording Gameplay // Video Editing // Portable Gaming

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Do NOT run prime95 on anything newer than ivy bridge. It overvolts your chip and you run a serious risk of damaging the cpu. The temperature readings you get from it are not realistic anyway as it makes your cpu run outside of normal bounds.

As for your problem, it's possible the IHS wasn't making perfect contact while the silicone was drying and now it's stuck that way. If you decide to re-delid, try using a book to keep the IHS under pressure while it's drying.

Regarding p95, based on what I've read and my own testing, that specific version, 26.6, is okay to use.  Newer versions are not.  Again, based on what I've read.  Regardless, my max temp while gaming on CPU intensive games is usually on the high 70c degree range.

As for making sure to make contact, the relid kit has a deal that puts pressure on while drying.  So it shouldn't have been an issue, and I didn't want to ratchet it down too tight and crack the die.

My Rig:

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

17 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Yes.  When I did mine I didn't re-seal the IHS, I just use the socket to hold it against the PCB.  I was worried about your exact situation.

Check to make sure you have the cooler mounted correctly and the thermal paste is looking good there, but I wanted to make sure I had good contact from the die to the IHS.

Yeah I'm going to check the cold plate on my fractal s24 240 aio when I get home to make sure that isn't the issue.  If I redelid I will be putting minimal, if any, silicone.

My Rig:

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

3 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

Regarding p95, based on what I've read and my own testing, that specific version, 26.6, is okay to use.  Newer versions are not.  Again, based on what I've read.  Regardless, my max temp while gaming on CPU intensive games is usually on the high 70c degree range.

Fair enough, personally I'd just use cinebench though - it's a much more realistic load.

3 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

As for making sure to make contact, the relid kit has a deal that puts pressure on while drying.  So it shouldn't have been an issue, and I didn't want to ratchet it down too tight and crack the die.

The IHS can actually take quite a bit of pressure. The best way of keeping it tight without risks is probably to just mount it and screw on your cooler.

It's also possible you used too much or too little tim, it's hard to get quantities right.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

13 minutes ago, Sauron said:

The IHS can actually take quite a bit of pressure. The best way of keeping it tight without risks is probably to just mount it and screw on your cooler.

It's also possible you used too much or too little tim, it's hard to get quantities right.

Good to know about the pressure.  I'm going to keep that in mind when i, most likely, end up re-deliding it.   And that was the other issue.  I'm going to lay the Kryonaut on there thicker.  Since it's not liquid metal or conductive, not really a big deal if some pushes out the side.

My Rig:

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

So...uhhh I took off the IHS....obviously too much thermal paste.  Is it possible that was causing the temp issues?  Or is it possible there was still a gap between the IHS and the die with that much paste spread about?

Figured I'd ask before replacing it and trying again.

too much paste.jpg

My Rig:

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

Most recent development.  Relidded it after re-delidding it.  This time put it straight into the system.  Temps weren't as bad as before, but weren't as good as before original delidding.  I pulled it from the system and currently have it sitting under a book hoping to smoosh it together more.  Will pick this project back up this weekend.  I'm done for tonight lol.  My 6600k will do for now.

My Rig:

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

50 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

Most recent development.  Relidded it after re-delidding it.  This time put it straight into the system.  Temps weren't as bad as before, but weren't as good as before original delidding.  I pulled it from the system and currently have it sitting under a book hoping to smoosh it together more.  Will pick this project back up this weekend.  I'm done for tonight lol.  My 6600k will do for now.

Make sure you clean off all of the residual silicon before you put it back. I didn't do this correctly on my 4790k and had to go back. Doing it right on my 8700k dropped my temps by 10c with just Arctic Silver 5.

I'll give you my tow cents - delidded my 7700k a couple of months ago, was reaching 95c under full load.

The first time I just replaced the stock paste with the grizzly kryonaut, re-sealed with silicone and put in - temps were better, but not much.

Listening to someone's advice I went with Conductonaut Liquid metal inside and kryonaut outside from ihs to cooler base - now on air cooling it reaches the low 80's under full stress at 5 gigs.

Also, don't soak the die in paste, try to spread it only on the surface of it without having it spill on the pcb