Gtx 580

Drakepc

I already own an rx 460 w ryzen 3. Someone is willing to sell me a gtx 580 for $40. I only have a 500w psu, is a gtx 580 worth it?/ will I get better performance?

your RX 460 is around ~20% faster than a GTX 580 in a gaming benchmark. 

No. You will lose significant performance. Your RX 460 also probably has a big increase in value due to crypto mining so its even more valuable.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

2 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

your RX 460 is around 24% faster than a GTX 580 in a gaming benchmark. 

No. You will lose significant performance. Your RX 460 also probably has a big increase in value due to crypto mining so its even more valuable.

But its $40!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Drakepc said:

I already own an rx 460 w ryzen 3. Someone is willing to sell me a gtx 580 for $40. I only have a 500w psu, is a gtx 580 worth it?/ will I get better performance?

Raw GPU performance might be slightly better on a GTX 580, however with its limited VRAM you're going to be hitting system memory with most current games and negating any possible benefit. Also it uses a whackton of power. For $40 it might be worth it if you didn't already have the RX 460, but since you already have the RX 460 it doesn't make any sense to get the GTX 580.

4 hours ago, Drakepc said:

It's a 7 year old card. What do you think?

And no a 500w PSU would not be enough for it.

The GTX 580 benchmarks a bit higher than the RX 460, but it has less VRAM. Considering the 460's 2GB of vram is barely enough for new games, I feel that the GTX 480 would have some issues in more demanding games. The RX 460 is also much more efficient. Since you already own the RX 460, don't swap for the GTX 480.

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games