FPS drops (Is my PSU not enough for my system?)

Go to solution Solved by Shiftstealth,
On 1/28/2018 at 8:09 PM, Eric A. said:

Hi!

I've built my first system but since then I have experienced FPS drops/stuttering, this are my specs: 

Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.5GHz

16GB RAM (CMU16GX4M2C3200C16) @ 3000Mhz

GTX 1080ti Aorus (GV-N108TAORUS-11GD)

Motherboard: Aorus Gaming K5 AX370

SSD 480GB

HDD 480GB

PSU 750W 80 Plus Bronze: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B1

Monitor: Asus Predator XB271HU 2560x1440 @ 165Hz

(by now I only have 2 games Battlefield 1 and PUBG)

The first days stuttering (sometimes crashes) were caused by a high usage of pagefile instead of RAM, after fix the pagefile problem that was causing crashes on games and constant stuttering, I noticed some micro-stuttering every 1~2 minutes, using afterburner I have noticed there are energy drops on GPU (the energy on the power % chart sometimes goes to 50% from a 90 %) but sometimes those energy drops not match with the FPS drops, sometimes it does. another thing I also have noticed is the frametime which sometimes is very high (300 ~ 500 ms) the systme temperature underl full load are great both CPU and GPU has never reached 70° -celsius degrees- (I believe 65° is the highest temp I have seen while gaming).

Things I have tried:

Clean installation of Windows 10

Search for virus

Install all C++ libraries

Run the system without any OC applied

I have to mention that my RAM is running at 3000 MHz because at 3200 MHz my system isn't stable, right now I can't stop my GPU fans once they start spining the only way to stop them is rebooting Windows (both afterburner and aorus graphic engine don't detect the fans speed), and for last I have noticed at the BIOS that the voltage on the CPU vcore are higher when I use the default frequencies than with OC applied (I've reached 3.5 GHz without increasing voltages on the CPU)

I'm attaching some files where you can see my FPS drops, voltage, temps, etc..

I'll be very grateful for any help.

*English isn't my native language, I'm apologize for any grammatical error*

BIOS volatge:

Default Voltage.jpg

Voltage with OC.jpg

This are the files I've uploaded I don't know why the other links doesn't work

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt

BF1 chart.hml

PUBG chart.hml

Have you tried running memtest on your memory to make sure its stable? I set some overclocks that weren't stable, and received roughly 60% of the performance you'd expect from Ryzen. Something you could try is setting your memory to Command Rate of 2T. You could also try to loosen the timings. You could also set the DDR4 voltage to 1.4v. One of Ryzen's memory voltages runs at half the DDR4 voltage, and bringing it up to 1.4 increased my stability. I am of strong opinion that this is related to the memory. My last motherboard couldn't get my Flare X memory above 2800 Mhz, and this ASUS Prime X370 Pro struggled to get it to 3200Mhz. 

Your PSU wouldn't cause FPS drops in any way. It may cause instability or system shut down, or hardware damage or fire if it's bad enough, but it'll never cause bad performance.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

18 hours ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Whatever works, some psu units can go past capacity. I had a 700w psu years ago that using my monster 3930k and 3 gtx 970's... or 2 ... I forgot. Would sustain 850 or more without even getting that Insainly hot. 

The Seasonic PRIME 750W was tested to deliver over 1000W before its OTP circuit tripped, and with still excellent regulation and ripple suppression. You could easily call it a 1000W PSU but Seasonic didn't because they wanted to exceed the Titanium specification xD

But that's an exception to the rule of don't run a PSU over its rated power (for bad ones, don't even run it close to its rated power since it may be overrated)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

9 hours ago, Eric A. said:

I have tried to reset my GPU using DDU Is there any other way/software to do it?

I Mean reseating it. So you would have to remove it  then put it back into your Rig. 

Pretty much making sure all connections are firm.

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

On 1/28/2018 at 8:09 PM, Eric A. said:

Hi!

I've built my first system but since then I have experienced FPS drops/stuttering, this are my specs: 

Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.5GHz

16GB RAM (CMU16GX4M2C3200C16) @ 3000Mhz

GTX 1080ti Aorus (GV-N108TAORUS-11GD)

Motherboard: Aorus Gaming K5 AX370

SSD 480GB

HDD 480GB

PSU 750W 80 Plus Bronze: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B1

Monitor: Asus Predator XB271HU 2560x1440 @ 165Hz

(by now I only have 2 games Battlefield 1 and PUBG)

The first days stuttering (sometimes crashes) were caused by a high usage of pagefile instead of RAM, after fix the pagefile problem that was causing crashes on games and constant stuttering, I noticed some micro-stuttering every 1~2 minutes, using afterburner I have noticed there are energy drops on GPU (the energy on the power % chart sometimes goes to 50% from a 90 %) but sometimes those energy drops not match with the FPS drops, sometimes it does. another thing I also have noticed is the frametime which sometimes is very high (300 ~ 500 ms) the systme temperature underl full load are great both CPU and GPU has never reached 70° -celsius degrees- (I believe 65° is the highest temp I have seen while gaming).

Things I have tried:

Clean installation of Windows 10

Search for virus

Install all C++ libraries

Run the system without any OC applied

I have to mention that my RAM is running at 3000 MHz because at 3200 MHz my system isn't stable, right now I can't stop my GPU fans once they start spining the only way to stop them is rebooting Windows (both afterburner and aorus graphic engine don't detect the fans speed), and for last I have noticed at the BIOS that the voltage on the CPU vcore are higher when I use the default frequencies than with OC applied (I've reached 3.5 GHz without increasing voltages on the CPU)

I'm attaching some files where you can see my FPS drops, voltage, temps, etc..

I'll be very grateful for any help.

*English isn't my native language, I'm apologize for any grammatical error*

BIOS volatge:

Default Voltage.jpg

Voltage with OC.jpg

This are the files I've uploaded I don't know why the other links doesn't work

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt

BF1 chart.hml

PUBG chart.hml

Have you tried running memtest on your memory to make sure its stable? I set some overclocks that weren't stable, and received roughly 60% of the performance you'd expect from Ryzen. Something you could try is setting your memory to Command Rate of 2T. You could also try to loosen the timings. You could also set the DDR4 voltage to 1.4v. One of Ryzen's memory voltages runs at half the DDR4 voltage, and bringing it up to 1.4 increased my stability. I am of strong opinion that this is related to the memory. My last motherboard couldn't get my Flare X memory above 2800 Mhz, and this ASUS Prime X370 Pro struggled to get it to 3200Mhz. 

Main PC: i7 8700K @ 4.9Ghz | Corsair H110i V2 |  ASUS Prime Z370-A  | Corsair Carbide 540 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 | 16GB G.Skill Flare X @ 3200Mhz | 500GB Samsung 960 Evo | Seasonic Prime Ultra 650W | Dell S2417DG

On 29/1/2018 at 4:19 AM, r3loAded said:

Maybe set in windows the High Performance plan? Worth a try if not already in High Performance.

I've already tried Max performance plan on both NVIDIA control panel and Windows but there is no difference :/ 

On 30/1/2018 at 4:22 AM, Shiftstealth said:

I'm gonna try all your seggestions this weekend, but I'm belive you're right because I was able to reacch 3,200Mhz by increasing voltage to 1.4 but after check memory stability with AIDA64 when I launch BF1 the sttuttering was more consistent (which I don't understand, because my RAM was ablle to hold up like 30 minutes of stress with AIDA 64)

On 29/1/2018 at 9:18 PM, Energycore said:

Your PSU wouldn't cause FPS drops in any way. It may cause instability or system shut down, or hardware damage or fire if it's bad enough, but it'll never cause bad performance.

I thought that was the problems due that looking into afterburner charts the one called Power,% shows drops

example.jpg

On 29/1/2018 at 6:30 PM, xg32 said:

the charts werent working when i first looked, pubg is badly optimized so ive taken a look at the bf1 chart, there isn't anything too out of the ordinary except a possible issue with the power limit, try upping it to 125%, although i'm almost certain it's just a cpu issue. You could also try vsync and if your monitor doesn't support that, try limiting the framerate in nvidia control panel, just anything to minimize the drops.

I'll try and test it this weekend but I'm starting to think it is a stability problem with RAM, I'll let you know, thanks for your replies.

57 minutes ago, Eric A. said:

I thought that was the problems due that looking into afterburner charts the one called Power,% shows drops

That power chart is normal. Those fluctuations will occur even at 100% load as the GPU switches to tasks that take more or less power.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

On 30/1/2018 at 4:22 AM, Shiftstealth said:

Yep, it was a RAM stability problem, I'm able to reach 3,200MHz with 1.4V but once the memories succesfuly pass stress test when I play games sttuters appear, so I decided to return to an older BIOS version (F5a) and now everything is runing perfectly I can play without any FPS drops. Thank you!

24 minutes ago, Eric A. said:

Yep, it was a RAM stability problem, I'm able to reach 3,200MHz with 1.4V but once the memories succesfuly pass stress test when I play games sttuters appear, so I decided to return to an older BIOS version (F5a) and now everything is runing perfectly I can play without any FPS drops. Thank you!

Glad to help :)

Main PC: i7 8700K @ 4.9Ghz | Corsair H110i V2 |  ASUS Prime Z370-A  | Corsair Carbide 540 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 | 16GB G.Skill Flare X @ 3200Mhz | 500GB Samsung 960 Evo | Seasonic Prime Ultra 650W | Dell S2417DG

On 3/2/2018 at 6:51 PM, Shiftstealth said:

Glad to help :)

Hi!

Browsing in my BIOS voltages triying to get 3,200MHz stables (which I wasn't able to) I noticed that my default Vcore SOC (DVID) voltage is 1.250 which I have read is not recommend increase it to more than 1.200V but I can't drecreased it, Should I flash my BIOS into an older version? my current BIOS version F20

EDIT: I was able to decrease it by resetting the BIOS xD

Voltages.jpg.3d4a4089da7cfecb9842ca4b4a727084.jpg