RAID 0 Setup

Jasun

To start things off, I have literally not experience with any sort of RAID setups so please don't roast me for looking like an idiot. So I want to setup my two hard drives (HHD) into RAID 0 but I want to keep all of my files that are currently on my main hard drive. On the other hand, my other hard drive does not have anything on it so that should be fine. So my question is, how do I keep all of my files on my first hard drive while still making a RAID 0 array? 

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

2 minutes ago, Jasun said:

To start things off, I have literally not experience with any sort of RAID setups so please don't roast me for looking like an idiot. So I want to setup my two hard drives (HHD) into RAID 0 but I want to keep all of my files that are currently on my main hard drive. On the other hand, my other hard drive does not have anything on it so that should be fine. So my question is, how do I keep all of my files on my first hard drive while still making a RAID 0 array? 

I've never personally worked with RAID, but AFAIK you need to format them to make a RAID volume, so you cannot keep your data.

Make a backup on another disk and copy it back afterwards. Why do you want RAID 0?

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

As far as I remember, if you're creating a raid array they will be formatted. I'm talking about hardware raid (bios raid) here. Not sure about software raid.

You can't keep the data when making a RAID array. Why RAID 0? You'll have no redundancy, and if one disk fails, say bye to all data.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Cant be done. All data is erased as soon as the array is created. You’d have to copy the data first if you want to keep it

I have no signature

1 minute ago, tikker said:

I've never personally worked with RAID, but AFAIK you need to format them to make a RAID volume, so you cannot keep your data.

Make a backup on another disk and copy it back afterwards. Why do you want RAID 0?

I've heard that RAID 0 increases performance and so I want to try it out. Will it be worth the trouble for something that is free or no?

Just now, Jasun said:

I've heard that RAID 0 increases performance and so I want to try it out. Will it be worth the trouble for something that is free or no?

Yeah you'll get faster performance as the data is spread across the two drives. There's no tolerance though. If one drive fails all the data is lost.

If you want to experiment do go and try. Just make sure important data is somewhere safe :) 

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

1 minute ago, Jasun said:

It can increase performance, but if one drive in the array dies, all data is lost from both drives.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

@tikker @Jamiec1130 @Helly @NMS I want to try for the hell of it but how should I go about when backing up my data? I don't have a external drive just lying around with at least 300 gigs of space...

If you have time and patience then try MEGA. They offer 50 GB of free space. It's far from your required 300 but there's no better cloud service that offers that much space for free.

But then I have a question. Are you trying to do this with a drive that has OS installed on it? Because if so, this might be tricky. As chances are, complete re-installment of Windows might be required later on. Boot drive requires the formatting be done in a specific way.

2 minutes ago, Jasun said:

@tikker @Jamiec1130 @Helly @NMS I want to try for the hell of it but how should I go about when backing up my data? I don't have a external drive just lying around with at least 300 gigs of space...

Cloud storage, extra HDD or buy an external drive?

2 minutes ago, NMS said:

If you have time and patience then try MEGA. They offer 50 GB of free space. It's far from your required 300 but there's no better cloud service that offers that much space for free.

But then I have a question. Are you trying to do this with a drive that has OS installed on it? Because if so, this might be tricky. As chances are, complete re-installment of Windows might be required later on. Boot drive requires the formatting be done in a specific way.

Yeah...I probably will give up on the idea for now...I'm too lazy to reinstall everything. :P 

1 minute ago, Jasun said:

Yeah...I probably will give up on the idea for now...I'm too lazy to reinstall everything. :P 

Nevertheless, get a cheap SSD. They are much more reliable than they used to be back in the day.

11 minutes ago, Jasun said:

it increases performace but increases the risk of losing data

7 minutes ago, Jasun said:

I don't have a external drive just lying around with at least 300 gigs of space...

then buy one.

you should do regular backups on an external drive anyways.

RAID 0 has no protection at all but even RAID 1 does only protect against hardware failure - it does not protect your data against file system corruption, viruses or human error

U have two of the same drives. Copy any files you want to keep off them to another storage device.

When creating the raid array will erase all the contents off both the drives u select for the array. 

Once it's created u can copy them back

Be sure to check that there identicle drives. Just not in capacity.

Having a older slower drive paired in raid with a new faster one will defeat the purpose.  The slower drive will be hindering the performance gain wanted switching to raid in the first place