Is it possible to move a MacOS installed hdd to a new computer, with the new computer running MacOS

I am building a new computer, I happen to have a HDD from my old macbook pro, with no experience in computer building is it possible to run mac with the same HDD from the macbook pro if i transferred the HDD over to the new computer?

I tried it once when my dads macbook had an issue. I get the SSD (hard disk) from the macbook and connected it with a USB to my macbook. I booted it up with holding the alt button and then I select it to boot from to USB hard disk. This worked 100% fine. If you want to try it first I advice an external case for a hard disk to usb and try the same thing I did.

My own build: RΛZΞR theme

CPU: Intel Core i5 7600K // CPU cooler: Cryorig H7 // Motherboard: MSI Z270 gaming pro carbon //       

Video Card: MSI Armor gtx 1070 OC 8GB // RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3200MHz //  

SSD: Samsung EVO 960 500GB // HDD: 2x WD yellow edition 2TB //

Case: NZXT H440 RAZER edition // Power Supply: Corsair RM550x //         

Operating Software: Windows 10 pro 64-bit

But my Macbook is spoilt, does it work if i were to install the Hard disk from the Macbook to the computer? 

If you're trying to boot MacOS on a non-Apple computer, it's not going to work. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

with some 3rd party software your PC can read the files on the drive if you have some stuff you are wanting to get off of the drive, but just sticking the drive into a pc and booting into osx isnt going to happen. 

4 minutes ago, intender said:

with some 3rd party software your PC can read the files on the drive if you have some stuff you are wanting to get off of the drive, but just sticking the drive into a pc and booting into osx isnt going to happen. 

This is going to be the best solution.

6 minutes ago, intender said:

Any ideas or suggestions on third party software?

is it possible to do it with and external drive?

4 hours ago, PJH said:

I am building a new computer, I happen to have a HDD from my old macbook pro, with no experience in computer building is it possible to run mac with the same HDD from the macbook pro if i transferred the HDD over to the new computer?

Hackintosh is a solution but this is not allowed to discuss here so go on tonymacx86.com

PC Specs : i7 7700k, 24 GB @ 2666 MHz, ASUS Strix GTX 970, ASUS Z170-K, 960 EVO 250 GB, 850 EVO 250 GB, 2x 2 TB WD Purple RAID 0, Green 1 TB

Hackintoshes aren't allowed by Apple's terms of service, and therefore help with them can't be given on this site, sorry.

Topic Locked.

HTTP/2 203