When will GPU prices come down?

Hi,

I am in the market for a new GPU and the prices are crazy right now.

I was wondering when you guys think the prices will come down.

Thanks!

If at first you don't succeed...

Call it version 1.0

Spoiler

Main Rig

CPU: Intel i5 6600k

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED

MOBO: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb (2x4gb)

GPU:

Storage: Seagate 500GB

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

when cryptocurrency finally moves away from GPU mining and is strictly ASIC (or similar) based.

So, nobody knows.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

The current high is due to the crypto currency boom, everyone wants GPU’s to get in on the action. The demand for GPU’s will decrease as the crypto currency demand goes down.

4 minutes ago, Bworde15 said:

Hi,

Thanks!

Will they? Nope.

when there is a large supply and little demand

right now and for a long time now there is a large demand and barely any supply so it'll be a long ass time. 

1 minute ago, Docretier said:

The current high is due to the crypto currency boom, everyone wants GPU’s to get in on the action. The demand for GPU’s will decrease as the crypto currency demand goes down.

Yeah i don't like crypto currency right now!

Do you have a rough estimate?

I am trying to figure out if i should pay now or wait more.

Call it version 1.0

Spoiler

Main Rig

GPU:

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

when there is a large supply and little demand

right now and for a long time now there is a large demand and barely any supply so it'll be a long ass time. 

So i should just buy my GPU now?

Call it version 1.0

Spoiler

Main Rig

GPU:

1 minute ago, Bworde15 said:

It is incredibly difficult to predict when prices will decrease, as the market constantly fluctuates. 

It is incredibly difficult to predict when prices will decrease, as the market constantly fluctuates. 

Ok thank you!

Call it version 1.0

Spoiler

Main Rig

GPU:

Just now, Bworde15 said:

To tell you the truth, I think prices will stay this high till next gen GTX cards are released (probably May?). Reason is, Nvidia tends to release their 80 and 70 cards in late May or early June. Being around 5 months away, manufacturers don't want to start producing a bunch of older generation cards or they will have a bunch of left over stock when Volta (or whatever it's gonna be called) comes out in Q2 of this year. Plus, it takes time for card manufacturers to produce and ship these cards over. If I were you, I would wait till May or June and see if you can grab a 1080 ti / 2080 / 2070.

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

When the mining dag will reach 4gb, making 4gb VRAM cards almost useless to mine with.

That of course, will only affect the price of those cards

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

I agree with this statement but if you are desperate for a GPU right now then the best place to buy it would directly from NVIDIA as they are regulating the prices MSRP here is the link to do that.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-store/

Sadly it isn't in stock right now but you can watch to see when they are back in stock

It is going to get even worse when Volta is released unless Crypto absolutely tanks.

Storm Enforcer 2.0

CPU: I7 Intel 8700k / GPU: EVGA - GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked ACX 2.0+ / Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-H Gaming / Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200/ Storage: Samsung 850 EVO - 120GB + WD Blue 1TB / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650w G3 / Cooling:  Noctua NH‑D15S / Case: Cooler Master HAF932 Advanced

5 minutes ago, Airdragonz said:

To tell you the truth, I think prices will stay this high till next gen GTX cards are released (probably May?). Reason is, Nvidia tends to release their 80 and 70 cards in late May or early June. Being around 5 months away, manufacturers don't want to start producing a bunch of older generation cards or they will have a bunch of left over stock when Volta (or whatever it's gonna be called) comes out in Q2 of this year. Plus, it takes time for card manufacturers to produce and ship these cards over. If I were you, I would wait till May or June and see if you can grab a 1080 ti / 2080 / 2070.

Nvidia isnt interested in releasing a new card yet. I think they are gonna hold off Until the rest of the market starts to catch up or if games start becoming too taxing on the 1080. They are so far ahead they don’t need to release a new card that would cut into their profits of the 1080.

3 minutes ago, Docretier said:

Nvidia isnt interested in releasing a new card yet. I think they are gonna hold off Until the rest of the market starts to catch up or if games start becoming too taxing on the 1080. They are so far ahead they don’t need to release a new card that would cut into their profits of the 1080.

not really, it was the same story with the 980/980ti, Fury X pipped the 980 but couldn't handle the ti. They will release it when it's ready cause money is money, 1180 will still sell if it is +30% on 1080ti, and it will sell by the bucket load

10 minutes ago, Airdragonz said:

If GPU's are still the best for mining which I suspect they will be, it will be the exactly the same as now, only you will have even lower supply and higher demand as everyone including the "i must have the latest tech" crowd will want them. What we may get is an influx of used current gen 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

23 minutes ago, Bworde15 said:

Hi,

Thanks!

Check back in 2 weeks.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

21 minutes ago, Bworde15 said:

Depending on your needs, you could look into getting a slightly older card.

A 980Ti today, with even a mild overclock, can still go toe to toe with a 1070.

And you have a better chance of finding one of those, likely used, at a much more reasonable price than current gen cards.

I'm still gaming on my 980Ti, doing 1440p ultra-wide at high framerates and high details, and I haven't run into any issues yet even on newer titles.

So, what are your GPU needs exactly?

Could you get away with a top-tier last-gen card for a reasonable price instead of paying through the nose today?

---

1 minute ago, PrimeSonic said:

And you have a better chance of finding one of those, likely used, at a much more reasonable price than current gen cards.

I'm still gaming on my 980Ti, doing 1440p ultra-wide at high framerates and high details, and I haven't run into any issues yet even on newer titles.

Could you get away with a top-tier last-gen card for a reasonable price instead of paying through the nose today?

FWIW, going rate for a b-stock 1080ti is in the $500 neighborhood.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Ok thank you all!

I am thinking of getting a 970.

How long do you all think this will last me.

Call it version 1.0

Spoiler

Main Rig

GPU:

get something lower end like a gtx 1060

good performance and not much of a hit to the wallet

Just now, Bworde15 said:

Ok thank you all!

I am thinking of getting a 970.

How long do you all think this will last me.

970 is today's 1060. should last a while if you're willing to give up some detail or framerates.

System specs:

2 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

O_o? Say what?

---

7 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

I'm pretty sure they are $1000 plus right now right?

Call it version 1.0

Spoiler

Main Rig

GPU:

10 minutes ago, PrimeSonic said:

8 minutes ago, emosun said:

get something lower end like a gtx 1060

good performance and not much of a hit to the wallet

I think I'm going to go with a 970 STRIX that i found for $280.

Call it version 1.0

Spoiler

Main Rig

GPU:

If you just use whatever card you get on Nicehash, which is very easy to do, you can make up the difference in the cost versus what you would like to pay for it pretty quickly.