Issues With Borderlands 2

xFluing

I have this very odd issue with Borderlands 2, where CPU usage is nowhere near 100%, as well as the VRAM on my GPU never being used up all the way (512MB out of 1GB)

My setup is athlon x4 860k with R7 250, I can handle most older games (pre-2014/15) very well even in 1080p, even ones up to 2014 such as The Crew (but with that there's a slight bottleneck on the cpu because it's so weak, I can still manage 30+ fps 720p however)

Anyway I was wondering what could be causing this, turning down the resolution seems to get me a bit more fps, but that's about it, lowering video settings doesn't work either, and yes physx is on the lowest setting

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

So, what's the issue? fps lag? How much ram do you have, what are your temps like also is your gpu overclocked?

What graphical settings did u use?

How many Fps did u get?

I think u are expecting too much from your R7 250.

Also u are using amd card physx wont matter

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

6 minutes ago, Mr_IICaTz said:

So, what's the issue? fps lag? How much ram do you have, what are your temps like also is your gpu overclocked?

No gpu overclock because a power outage fucked the VRMs on my card and I can't OC at all, not even by 1MHz

I have 4gb ram, I know it's not a lot but I plan to do a full upgrade to AM4 once Ryzen 2 is out, and buying ddr3 ram now would be a bad idea.

The issue is that I can't break past 30 FPS in 1050p resolution, and 45fps in 1440x900 as if there was a bottleneck somewhere, except there doesn't seem to be anywhere

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

This game runs poorly on my system with an i7 and gtx 1070 at 1080p, so no surprise you're having issues. Poorly optimized for the current Nvidia and AMD drivers. I have tried reaching out to the developers and it seems their hands are tied since neither 2K or Gearbox is willing to fork out the resources for an update. PhysX settings is a whole other debate.

In many cases my FPS drop from 60 to 15 while my gpu is sitting at 15% usage.

It's unfortunate since the player base is still quite big despite the game's age.

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

Just now, Hiya! said:

What graphical settings did u use?

How many Fps did u get?

I think u are expecting too much from your R7 250.

Also u are using amd card physx wont matter

Did you read the OP even? I said messing with the video settings does nothing, also I am NOT expecting too much of my r7 250, as it can carry me through pretty much all games I have in my library, even the crew, however the cpu is bottleneckingin that game

2 minutes ago, Daveeede said:

This game runs poorly on my system with an i7 and gtx 1070 at 1080p, so no surprise you're having issues. Poorly optimized for the current Nvidia and AMD drivers. I have tried reaching out to the developers and it seems their hands are tied since neither 2K or Gearbox is willing to fork out the resources for an update. PhysX settings is a whole other debate.

It's unfortunate since the player base is still quite big despite the game's age.

Weird thing is I can run DNF just fine

4 minutes ago, xFluing said:

No gpu overclock because a power outage fucked the VRMs on my card and I can't OC at all, not even by 1MHz

I have 4gb ram, I know it's not a lot but I plan to do a full upgrade to AM4 once Ryzen 2 is out, and buying ddr3 ram now would be a bad idea.

The issue is that I can't break past 30 FPS in 1050p resolution, and 45fps in 1440x900 as if there was a bottleneck somewhere, except there doesn't seem to be anywhere

I think it's about time to start washing cars and saving dat $$ to get ryzen 5 and a 1060 my friend.. but what Dave said is true. I do remember that game having optimization issues for a lot of people so it may not be a thing you can fix. if I had to say to try something i'd say torrent the game (for educational purposes)  and try run it outside of steam or something.. 

1 minute ago, Mr_IICaTz said:

I think it's about time to start washing cars and saving dat $$ to get ryzen 5 and a 1060 my friend.. but what Dave said is true. I do remember that game having optimization issues for a lot of people so it may not be a thing you can fix. if I had to say to try something i'd say torrent the game (for educational purposes)  and try run it outside of steam or something.. 

That's the exact gpu I was thinking of getting, but with a ryzen 3 1200 depending on whether the prices drop or not on ryzen 1

Just now, xFluing said:

That's the exact gpu I was thinking of getting, but with a ryzen 3 1200 depending on whether the prices drop or not on ryzen 1

Go for the Ryzen 5 or above honestly.. it will last a lot longer and keep up with the times for 2-5 years. I could of bought Ryzen 3 but I decided to save till I could afford my current system and I am so happy that I did.. 

1 minute ago, Mr_IICaTz said:

Go for the Ryzen 5 or above honestly.. it will last a lot longer and keep up with the times for 2-5 years. I could of bought Ryzen 3 but I decided to save till I could afford my current system and I am so happy that I did.. 

Given this, I'll go for ryzen 5 then, leaving the gpu last, as I think I can squeeze just a tiny bit more performance out of this r7 250 without a cpu bottleneck

16 minutes ago, xFluing said:

Did you read the OP even? I said messing with the video settings does nothing, also I am NOT expecting too much of my r7 250, as it can carry me through pretty much all games I have in my library, even the crew, however the cpu is bottleneckingin that game

What are u twelve? Dont be a dick.

I do read it.

I just ask because there's a chance that u dont know what u are doing with the graphical settings.

Just because u can run the CREW that doesnt mean u can run other games without a problem because they use different game engine and they could poorly or godly optimized.

18 minutes ago, Daveeede said:

Strange cause i finished this game loong time ago with GTX+ 9800 and runs pretty stable at 50fps average.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

you guys know that borderlands 2 uses a shitty DX9 engine complete with a ton of quirks and issues (like many other old engines have on modern hardware) ?

8 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

Strange cause i finished this game loong time ago with GTX+ 9800 and runs pretty stable at 50fps average.

Plenty have people have said that the game ran better on past hardware. Problems started with 700 and 900 series cards it would seem.

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

5 minutes ago, Daveeede said:

Plenty have people have said that the game ran better on past hardware. Problems started with 700 and 900 series cards it would seem.

Hmm really? i'll try running it again with my rig when i got home

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Here is the dealio even tho u got physics on low because ur on a amd card they render through the cpu 

it wont max ur cpu but it will only handle that task so well 

how do I know ? I ran this game on a a8 6600 at uni with a 260x and had the same issue, contacted steam support and that's what they told me, when steam used to be helpful 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper