Most Cost effective SSD

Ok, so, I bought this killer laptop, core i7 7500, Geoforce 940mx (remember its a laptop, chill), 12 gigs of ram, etc..., and it was only $700.  However, sometimes it runs like ass... and I am 99% sure its because of the fact that the hard is HDD...(correct me if I am wrong).  The boot takes up-to  5 min,  local videos take some time to load, games sometimes freeze or lag, (my internet is fine, I can stream 2,  4k vids at the same time on my laptop no problem...)

So my questions are as follows:

1. Would replacing the current HDD with an SSD would solve the problem?
  2. Is there a cheap SSD out there, preferably 500+ Gb under/around  $100?
  3. I've looked into it a little and have seen Hybrid SSD and HDD, Are these a viable solution?

Thank you,

TheGodlyJorts

hi, hybrids are good if your notebook has room for only one drive, there are also M.2 SSDs, that plus a new hard drive would be better (just IMO) but the SSD would be only for the OS and a few games/programs but it'll also last more

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

I recommend a 500gb hybrid drive, and yes it will definitely speed up loading times. An SSD will be faster loading games, but is not as cost-effective.

3 minutes ago, TheGodlyJorts said:

Is there a cheap SSD out there, preferably 500+ Gb under/around  $100?

cheap 500gb ssds are ~$120

Just now, Prqnk3d said:

cheap 500gb ssds are ~$120

Yeah but is there any reason that they are that cheap, compared to other SSD's?

We have had good results with the WD Green SSD. Well priced and we have yet to have any computers come back 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

3 minutes ago, TheGodlyJorts said:

slightly slower speeds. the 850 evo is $160 and is very good. there are plenty of good 500gb ssds for about $140

35 minutes ago, TheGodlyJorts said:

So my questions are as follows:

1. Would replacing the current HDD with an SSD would solve the problem?
  2. Is there a cheap SSD out there, preferably 500+ Gb under/around  $100?
  3. I've looked into it a little and have seen Hybrid SSD and HDD, Are these a viable solution?

1. Replacing your HDD with an SSD will speed up boot times, program loads and file loads, so yes, it will help.

2. The cheap end of SSDs around the 500GB mark is $120-130. I've got a 480GB SanDisk Ultra II that set me back $125 in a Dell Latitude E6410, and have zero complaints. It's not a Samsung 850 Pro or anything, but it's night and day compared to the 5400 RPM drive that was in there.

3. No. For all kinds of reasons, SSHDs are more or less just expensive hard drives. They do nothing for program or file loads, only theoretically helping boot times. I say "theoretically" because there's an algorithm on the drive itself that decides which files get moved to the 8GB of NAND space. You'd assume those would be OS files, right? I mean, they're only the most commonly accessed files on the whole disk, but the SSHD algorithm is clueless to that. I don't know what ends up on those 8GB NAND partitions, but it is not anything that would help speed the drive up. You pay more for less space with an SSD, but the experience is infinitely better. An SSHD isn't an upgrade at all, just a more expensive version of what you already have.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

4 hours ago, TheGodlyJorts said:

Slower and shorter life span, but it will still be several times faster than any hdd and last you 4-8 years so no biggy

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious