Motherboard will not POST

iBoolGuy
2 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Okay, try another hard drive then. I think that one may be toast.

It really sounds to me like everything is working fine until you try to boot up a drive for anything. Could even be a bad or loose sata data cable.

well.. you sound like you didn't read further above, nor have taken a look at the videos I shared, I actually tried his ssd on my PC, and it totally works, and when I connect my ssd to his machine, the same exact stuff happens, I have a video on exactly that in the playlist I shared in the original post, take a look if you're interested! it's mind boggling! :|

Just now, iBoolGuy said:

And then JESUS christ what does AMD expect from their fans??? My friend completely lost faith in me, because he wanted an Intel CPU in the beginning but I refused but to get an AMD CPU, and now I feel like shit.. this is so fucking terrible man.. I posted a post similar to this but less aggressive on their support forums, and not a single fucking comment.. let alone a customer service to help. It wasn't until I made a half-an-hour-in-the-making-email to them until they replied saying you can send it the Netherlands, they didn't even tell me what they want to do when they receive it.. might as well just take it and forget about me!

It's not your fault and it's not AMD's fault either if it has anything to do with meltdown and spectre.

This is hands down the worst cyber-security disaster we've ever seen.

Getting an intel chip wouldn't have helped him any.

Pretty much every single CPU from the last 15 years is effected.

You should read more about this.

It's a depressing disaster that sucks to read about, but you should know the details.

I don't think this has anything to do with it though.

Your friend also shouldn't be mad at you.

The issue happened months after you last touched the machine.

If anything, they did something silly to cause this.

Just now, iBoolGuy said:

well.. you sound like you didn't read further above, nor have taken a look at the videos I shared, I actually tried his ssd on my PC, and it totally works, and when I connect my ssd to his machine, the same exact stuff happens, I have a video on exactly that in the playlist I shared in the original post, take a look if you're interested! it's mind boggling! :|

I try to help on a lot of troubleshooting posts.

I get them mixed up sometimes in the mix of it all.

Sorry.

Wait, you said the hard drive worked with another CPU in there didn't you...

hmm, well still try it.

Maybe it's got some sort of driver on it or something that's conflicting with the CPU in some way.

Still worth a shot since extra drives are never hard to come by.

I mean I thought about that as well.. but the PC never even gets to start on loading windows.. and that stupid CPU led is lit up all the time.. At this point, I just think AMD used a Logic bomb and this exact configuration of CPU and Board! I can't find any plausible explanation

Just now, iBoolGuy said:

I mean I thought about that as well.. but the PC never even gets to start on loading windows.. and that stupid CPU led is lit up all the time.. At this point, I just think AMD used a Logic bomb and this exact configuration of CPU and Board! I can't find any plausible explanation

Well, let AMD look at it and get back to you.

Then we'll know more.

I'm sure this is all still under warranty anyways by the sounds of it so stop panicking ;)

Unless you caused physical damage by like pulling a linus and dropping something, you're covered.

3 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

It's not your fault and it's not AMD's fault either if it has anything to do with meltdown and spectre.

This is hands down the worst cyber-security disaster we've ever seen.

Getting an intel chip wouldn't have helped him any.

Pretty much every single CPU from the last 15 years is effected.

You should read more about this.

It's a depressing disaster that sucks to read about, but you should know the details.

I don't think this has anything to do with it though.

Your friend also shouldn't be mad at you.

The issue happened months after you last touched the machine.

If anything, they did something silly to cause this.

hmmmmmm... wow.. but.. why didn't my 4690K get affected? and how could a "virus?" even come close to ruining a CPU? that's fucking nasty man.. I'm definitely gonna read about that.. and if I can even protect myself!

1 minute ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Well, let AMD look at it and get back to you.

Then we'll know more.

I'm sure this is all still under warranty anyways by the sounds of it so stop panicking ;)

Unless you caused physical damage by like pulling a linus and dropping something, you're covered.

yeah that's our only hope.. my mind just has been on a roller coaster of tech and cpu emotions the past week, along with final exams that is :( 

5 minutes ago, iBoolGuy said:

hmmmmmm... wow.. but.. why didn't my 4690K get affected? and how could a "virus?" even come close to ruining a CPU? that's fucking nasty man.. I'm definitely gonna read about that.. and if I can even protect myself!

Unfortunately, it's really bad news for your 4690k and my 4790k as well.

We're not even getting a bios update most likely.

the patches for meltdown and spectre have been crashing haswell and bradwell systems and it's really looking like the manufactures are going to abandon us on this... 

It'll likely depend on the motherboard manufacturer.

It really sucks..

Though, it's a blessing at the same time because this means we won't experience the 5-30% slowdown the patches are supposed to cause, but it also means that we have a big wide gaping backdoor in our systems. Hell, backdoor is an understatement. There isn't even a door with this one. Just a big gaping security hole.

The reason why this may cause an issue on AMD and not yours that you'll see is because these AMD chips have been getting the patch and it hasn't been reacting well. We haven't gotten a single patch yet.

2 minutes ago, iBoolGuy said:

yeah that's our only hope.. my mind just has been on a roller coaster of tech and cpu emotions the past week, along with final exams that is :( 

Again, don't worry about it. It's a new computer. The manufacture will replace whatever part is the problem once you figure that out.

Unfortunately, it's really bad news for your 4690k and my 4790k as well.

We're not even getting a bios update most likely.

the patches for meltdown and spectre have been crashing haswell and bradwell systems and it's really looking like the manufactures are going to abandon us on this... 

It'll likely depend on the motherboard manufacturer.

It really sucks..

Though, it's a blessing at the same time because this means we won't experience the 5-30% slowdown the patches are supposed to cause, but it also means that we have a big wipe gaping backdoor in our systems. Hell, backdoor is an understatement. There isn't even a door with this one. Just a big gaping security hole.

The reason why this may cause an issue on AMD and not yours that you'll see is because these AMD chips have been getting the patch and it hasn't been reacting well. We haven't gotten a single patch yet.

Jesus christ.. every single warranty there could be has definitely run out for my build. What a massive shit-show this is.. is the 8th gen intel cpu's affected by this, too?

1 hour ago, iBoolGuy said:

Jesus christ.. every single warranty there could be has definitely run out for my build. What a massive shit-show this is.. is the 8th gen intel cpu's affected by this, too?

A warranty wouldn't cover this issue anyways.

Yes, even brand new CPUs are effected.

This is an issue with the hardware sadly so even the patches are just a bandaid. Someone will figure out how to reverse engineer them either way.

Best just to be careful about your cyber-security in general from now on.

There's nothing much most of us can do about it besides buying the next generation of CPU.

Follow your motherboard's support page and watch for bios updates, make sure to keep up with your windows updates, and security updates, etc.

What else can you do?

Almost every CPU going all the way back to pentium is effected by this. 

Point is, you don't need to throw out your computer because of this.

It just sucks. That's all.