Motherboard will not POST

iBoolGuy

Been using the machine for a good couple of months. Not a problem. Tried overclocking (VERY SAFELY) the first week, couldn't get games to run stable, they'd crash after 20-30 mins, so I removed the OC, and still ran the PC for like a month and a half.

Almost a week ago, the POS stopped booting for whatever reason, there are some Debugging LEDs, and the one indicating for the CPU is lit, and the manual says, that either means CPU is defect or not connected. Which is nonsense, just happened out of nowhere.

I have a could of videos showing what happened exactly. Would really appreciate any help, or if someone could relate!

Reseat the CPU and RAM, there could be dust or oxidation on the contacts.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Just now, thegreengamers said:

Reseat the CPU and RAM, there could be dust or oxidation on the contacts.

I have tried that and more! Did every single possible physical solution.. nothing.. I don't have any MSI retail store/repair store in any city near me, and amazon won't return it because it's been more than a month.. I don't know what to do! 

1 minute ago, iBoolGuy said:

I have tried that and more! Did every single possible physical solution.. nothing.. I don't have any MSI retail store/repair store in any city near me, and amazon won't return it because it's been more than a month.. I don't know what to do! 

Make sure all the PSU cables are connected firmly and clear CMOS?

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

Gaming PC:

Just now, thegreengamers said:

Make sure all the PSU cables are connected firmly and clear CMOS?

Yes, of course I have, I even tried it with my own HX1000i PSU (the problem is in my friend's build), I tried my GPU, my SSD, still persists..

2 minutes ago, iBoolGuy said:

Yes, of course I have, I even tried it with my own HX1000i PSU (the problem is in my friend's build), I tried my GPU, my SSD, still persists..

Seems like the only thing left is to replace the motherboard. Can you take it out and check if there are any blown resistors or capacitors, even the tiny surface-mounted ones?

Daily Driver:

Gaming PC:

Dude. Uplug the 1060 and see how the pc runs.

If you still have problems then keep asking your friend what overclocking settings he tried to use until he admits the truth :D

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

7 minutes ago, keskparane said:

Dude. Uplug the 1060 and see how the pc runs.

If you still have problems then keep asking your friend what overclocking settings he tried to use until he admits the truth :D

Well, forgot to mention it's a Ryzen build, so no on-board graphics.
Here are the specs: 
1500X 
msi B350M gaming pro
vengeance 8GB 2400MHz
1060 3GB
SSD (silicon power xD) 
CX 450 PSU

Btw, my friends knows sh*t about PCs, I'm the one who overclocked, and I'm pretty experienced with it, wasn't my first time doing it!!

15 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

Seems like the only thing left is to replace the motherboard. Can you take it out and check if there are any blown resistors or capacitors, even the tiny surface-mounted ones?

yeah that.. I live in literally trash area, locals are basically useless.
Tho, I saw on the amazon listing page, some people with my same MoBo and CPU (1500X and B350M) that the board doesn't support Ryzen 5 CPUs, you'll need to put a Ryzen 7 first in it, then it'll be able to "see" other Ryzen CPUs.
But tho.. I've ran them both no problems, for two months, and I myself installed the latest BIOS update the day I built it, but the problem only appeared two months later. So, could it be a Windows update? But I didn't know a windows update could f*ck up BIOS settings and CPU "recognization".. 

Does the same problem occur if you just boot into BIOS?

I would boot into BIOS and watch the health for an extended period. See if it shuts down when in BIOS.

I did notice the CPU fan stopped. Is this because it was below trigger temp or is there a problem with CPU fan or CPU fan settings?

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

13 hours ago, keskparane said:

Does the same problem occur if you just boot into BIOS?

I would boot into BIOS and watch the health for an extended period. See if it shuts down when in BIOS.

I did notice the CPU fan stopped. Is this because it was below trigger temp or is there a problem with CPU fan or CPU fan settings?

Hey, No actually, BIOS functions just right, and.. from within the BIOS, I can see it says "Ryzen 1500X @3.5GHz blah blah blah", I can do whatever I want within BIOS. 
The problem only occurs after passing the BIOS, when windows tries to load in. And even then, as I showed in one of the videos, the SSD Debugger light was not lit, it was the CPUs one. Plus I tried booting the machine with my own SSD and still didn't work.

About the CPU fan.. I don't really know, I don't think there could be anything there. One thing I tried tho, I removed the cooler, and tried starting the PC, (the problem was already here, was just trying things out), but it was a bad idea, and it was.. kinda weird, because although the PC did not even start, I was just inside the BIOS, the CPU was SMOKING HOT, I literally got a little bump on my finger when I touched it, I immediately shut it off and starting scratching my head.. Cause you know.. CPU shouldn't be burning its ass off idling, even without a cooler, especially when it was for no more than 30 seconds.

I don't honestly know.. this whole thing is just annoying as fuck.. and frankly, I don't know if it's just my bad luck, or if it's only AMD components that ever caused me trouble.

Ok so I'm confused. Who made the videos?

On 1/25/2018 at 7:27 PM, keskparane said:

Ok so I'm confused. Who made the videos?

I did, of course! 

It's just my friend's build, and I did all the trouble shooting, if that's what's confusing you!

4 hours ago, iBoolGuy said:

I did, of course! 

It's just my friend's build, and I did all the trouble shooting, if that's what's confusing you!

It was just the way you write about it as if you've been the one using it for a month and a half. Then in the video you say he calls you with a problem and sends it to you. Made it very hard to tell who was running the PC. You'd be surprised how many times the problem can be found just by making sure the facts are clear.

Did you make any progress?

14 hours ago, iBoolGuy said:

I did, of course! 

Just putting in idea out there.

Could it have something to do with the meltdown and spectra flaw?

Try running the hdd on another pc removing that update through the windows update and put it back in pc.

On 1/30/2018 at 5:01 AM, keskparane said:

It was just the way you write about it as if you've been the one using it for a month and a half. Then in the video you say he calls you with a problem and sends it to you. Made it very hard to tell who was running the PC. You'd be surprised how many times the problem can be found just by making sure the facts are clear.

Did you make any progress?

didn't honestly think it would matter much, thought it would be unnecessary confusion. Since I investigated with him heavily on everything he did. 

After taking the PC to MSI's nearest retailer (literally 150 miles away, and my friend took the pc not me), he tried another chip on the board and it worked (I don't know what exact chip he tried), and I believe he also said he our chip on another board, but it didn't work (Tho I think they still used a b350 of some sort, which seems to be the issue).

Anyhow, I contacted AMD, and the nearest AMD retailer around is in Netherlands, and asked them about the warranty, and they asked me to ship it to them to Netherlands, so they can investigate and see what they can do about it. 
I honestly don't even know what to expect, I'm really positive that the chip is 100%, I mean.. the CPU cannot just fry itself to death.. it was running normal temps.. it just happened outta nowhere!! :\ 

5 minutes ago, iBoolGuy said:

didn't honestly think it would matter much, thought it would be unnecessary confusion. Since I investigated with him heavily on everything he did. 

After taking the PC to MSI's nearest retailer (literally 150 miles away, and my friend took the pc not me), he tried another chip on the board and it worked (I don't know what exact chip he tried), and I believe he also said he our chip on another board, but it didn't work (Tho I think they still used a b350 of some sort, which seems to be the issue).

Anyhow, I contacted AMD, and the nearest AMD retailer around is in Netherlands, and asked them about the warranty, and they asked me to ship it to them to Netherlands, so they can investigate and see what they can do about it. 
I honestly don't even know what to expect, I'm really positive that the chip is 100%, I mean.. the CPU cannot just fry itself to death.. it was running normal temps.. it just happened outta nowhere!! :\ 

Very rare for a cpu to die, but it can happen

On 1/30/2018 at 2:10 PM, TekSupport said:

Try running the hdd on another pc removing that update through the windows update and put it back in pc.

I honestly have absolutely no idea what does "meltdown" or "spectra flaw" mean. I've heard and seen those couple of words around but don't exactly understand what they mean.

I know there has been a bug going on with Intel CPUs, Linus talked about it in a couple of WAN shows, but I don't remember that it affected AMD.

But on another note, there's this other Thread over here on LTT's Forums, where someone was reporting my very exact same problem, b350, and Ryzen 5 in general, and on that thread, there was over 20 comments reporting the same exact stuff.. so I know for sure that it's not the CPU dying all of a sudden. 

Also, on yet another note, I went back to amazon to convert my 5-star review to a 1-star review on both the MSI board and the Ryzen chip, and while doing that, I was checking the 1-star section of the review page, and on the Board's side, there was like 8 pages of 1-star reviews, 80% of them were people reporting my very exact problem. And further more, 40% of those 80%, faced the problem exactly 3 months after they built their system... 

It's an on-going issue, and just no one knows what's happening. 

I even tried to live-chat with amazon and tried to get them to return the board, but no luck at all.. :\

2 minutes ago, Hugsy Malone said:

Very rare for a cpu to die, but it can happen

read on my last reply up there^^^^^^^^

8 minutes ago, iBoolGuy said:

I don't think there was anything wrong with the CPU if you could get into the bios and see it's specs and all of that fine.

I also don't think you did anything to hurt it overclocking if you tried that months ago and this is only happening now.

Honestly, I'd look to software issues.

If AMD doesn't solve this for you, try booting with a windows USB installer inserted and use a restore point from there.

See if an update or something borked it.

On 1/30/2018 at 8:10 AM, TekSupport said:

I'm pretty sure AMD cpus were having trouble with the bios update for meltdown and spectre not a windows update if I'm not mistaken so I don't think that's it.

1 minute ago, stateofpsychosis said:

I don't think there was anything wrong with the CPU if you could get into the bios and see it's specs and all of that fine.

I also don't think you did anything to hurt it overclocking if you tried that months ago and this is only happening now.

Honestly, I'd look to software issues.

If AMD doesn't solve this for you, try booting with a windows USB installer inserted and use a restore point from there.

See if an update or something borked it.

YES! I tried exactly that, I put windows 8.1 pro on a usb, went to do a normal format, chose the usb as 1 priority from bios, and went on to formatting the windows. 

And I was so shock, I actually got to the initial install screen, where you agree to the terms, and enter a product key, and right after you format the disk, it starts copying the files, and then it goes ahead and restarts, right? when it tries to come back up? that death circle comes right back... 

Just now, iBoolGuy said:

YES! I tried exactly that, I put windows 8.1 pro on a usb, went to do a normal format, chose the usb as 1 priority from bios, and went on to formatting the windows. 

And I was so shock, I actually got to the initial install screen, where you agree to the terms, and enter a product key, and right after you format the disk, it starts copying the files, and then it goes ahead and restarts, right? when it tries to come back up? that death circle comes right back... 

Okay, try another hard drive then. I think that one may be toast.

It really sounds to me like everything is working fine until you try to boot up a drive for anything. Could even be a bad or loose sata data cable.

3 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

I'm pretty sure AMD cpus were having trouble with the bios update for meltdown and spectre not a windows update if I'm not mistaken so I don't think that's it.

And then JESUS christ what does AMD expect from their fans??? My friend completely lost faith in me, because he wanted an Intel CPU in the beginning but I refused but to get an AMD CPU, and now I feel like shit.. this is so fucking terrible man.. I posted a post similar to this but less aggressive on their support forums, and not a single fucking comment.. let alone a customer service to help. It wasn't until I made a half-an-hour-in-the-making-email to them until they replied saying you can send it the Netherlands, they didn't even tell me what they want to do when they receive it.. might as well just take it and forget about me!

3 minutes ago, iBoolGuy said:

Wait, you said the hard drive worked with another CPU in there didn't you...

hmm, well still try it.

Maybe it's got some sort of driver on it or something that's conflicting with the CPU in some way.

Still worth a shot since extra drives are never hard to come by.