Repair tiny chip on phone screen

Joveice

Hello,

Is there some ways to fix a tiny chip on a phone screen? We talk the depth/wide of a hair and less than 1cm long. It's also V shaped so it didn't create a crack at all.

I didn't want to replace the screen just because of this is it doesn't do anything with the picture, but you feel it if you move the finger over it.

My first thought was windshield chip repair, will this work?

Open for suggestions.

Back-end developer, electronics "hacker"

1 minute ago, Pangea2017 said:

Fixing a windshield can fail and result in larger cracks. You have to work with pressure to get the chemicals in.

Placing a screen protector over it is maybe a workaround.

I had a glass screen protector that had a special glue that fixed small cracks and scratches, can't find who sells them anymore :/ And it worked really good too, used it on my SGS5 and when that one cracked and I removed the glass the scratches under was completely gone.

15 minutes ago, Joveice said:

I had a glass screen protector that had a special glue that fixed small cracks and scratches, can't find who sells them anymore :/ And it worked really good too, used it on my SGS5 and when that one cracked and I removed the glass the scratches under was completely gone.

If you find it can you let me know? Sounds interesting

When I broke my ipad mini when it came out, it was virtually impossible to get it repaired without paying a few hundred quid.

I just brushed off the excess glass and got a tempered glass screen protector until I could afford the repair.

Though apple offered me a new one for 1/3 of the price instead of a repair.

Hi Joveice, 

I did phone repair professionally for 10 months. It isn't possible to fill in phone screen cracks like they do with car windshields.

However, it is relatively easy to replace a phone screen yourself if you're willing to put in the effort.

There are a few things you will need:

Parts:

Personally, Mobile Defenders is my go-to for sourcing mobile parts. They have reasonable prices and fast shipping.

When searching for parts, you'll want to make sure you are buying an "LCD and Digitizer Frame Assembly" instead of JUST the glass.

The reason for this is that the glass and the screen components come from the factory fused together. When your screen cracks you might think you could replace only the glass, but it is EXTREMELY difficult to separate the glass from the screen underneath.

Please reply to this with your phone make/model and I can help you find the correct part :)

Tools:

So you're gonna need some tools, and tools cost money. BUT you are still saving money if you buy your own tools in the long run vs. paying a professional to fix your phone.

I'd recommend the Essential Electronics toolkit from iFixit. Link here. It's only $20, and you can use it for more things than phone repair.

How to:

Now that you've got a screen and some tools, you're probably wondering "Now what?".

It's pretty simple actually. iFixit has TONS of guides on how to fix almost any part of mobile phones.

When following the guide keep these things in mind:

• Go slow
  • Double check everything
  • Keep track of any removable piece. Screws, plates, connectors, etc...
  • Take lots of pictures!

Muffinator

Hardware: | CPU: i5 3570k | Graphics: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Mobo: MSI z77a-G45 Gaming | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit | 

Peripherals: Logitech G502 | CM Storm Quickfire Pro (Red switch) |

7 hours ago, Muffinator said:

Hi Joveice, 

I did phone repair professionally for 10 months. It isn't possible to fill in phone screen cracks like they do with car windshields.

However, it is relatively easy to replace a phone screen yourself if you're willing to put in the effort.

There are a few things you will need:

Parts:

Personally, Mobile Defenders is my go-to for sourcing mobile parts. They have reasonable prices and fast shipping.

When searching for parts, you'll want to make sure you are buying an "LCD and Digitizer Frame Assembly" instead of JUST the glass.

The reason for this is that the glass and the screen components come from the factory fused together. When your screen cracks you might think you could replace only the glass, but it is EXTREMELY difficult to separate the glass from the screen underneath.

Please reply to this with your phone make/model and I can help you find the correct part :)

Tools:

So you're gonna need some tools, and tools cost money. BUT you are still saving money if you buy your own tools in the long run vs. paying a professional to fix your phone.

I'd recommend the Essential Electronics toolkit from iFixit. Link here. It's only $20, and you can use it for more things than phone repair.

How to:

Now that you've got a screen and some tools, you're probably wondering "Now what?".

It's pretty simple actually. iFixit has TONS of guides on how to fix almost any part of mobile phones.

When following the guide keep these things in mind:

• Go slow
  • Double check everything
  • Keep track of any removable piece. Screws, plates, connectors, etc...
  • Take lots of pictures!

Muffinator

Got insurance on it anyways, so won't pay for it :P But it's a business phone so I can't take it apart myself. I just didn't want to have it gone for like 2 weeks+ for a repair.

7 hours ago, Canada EH said:

nail polish may help!

Yea, nope not doing that :P