Looking to build a mining rig for $5000. Any recommendation?

Some years ago I mined LTC and I made some good money... Now I want to get into mining again but I'm a little outdated.

What are the best cryptos to mine with video cards? What hashrate could I expect from a 5k investment?

Thanks!

Sold my build..

The best are Ethereum, zCash, and some more obscure coins that are mildly more profitable and will not be mentioned here.

Here's a great post in the Ethereum forums

https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/8886/quick-start-guide-to-mine-ethereum

The specs there stand for mining with Nvidia cards as well -

CPU - cheapest you can get though don't go below the power level of a Sandy Bridge Pentium to be safe.

Storage - a cheap as fuck 80GB HDD will do. You don't care about boot times because the rig is up 24/7

Motherboard - the more PCIe connectors the better. If you can grab an H97 pro/btc, get one, though I've never seen them in stock. Any board with 6+ will do you just fine

RAM - 4GB is enough though i'd do 8GB here just in case especially if you'll run cards from both manufacturers

PSU - Add the TDPs of all your cards together and grab a PSU that can accommodate that sum, from tier 3 or up on our Tier List linked in my sig

Riser cables - you're gonna need these. Grab one like this one. Always always buy spares because it's common for them to crap out and they're dirt cheap. If you're gonna do 4 cards, might as well buy 8 of them.

Case - there are some expensive rig enclosures but otherwise this is where you'll have to get creative. I've seen people use spacey cases like the Enthoo Pro M and mod in a bracket to run all the GPUs horizontally and provide support for them. Or you can just not use a case.

GPUs - Honestly whatever you can get close to MSRP works here. From RX 470 up. 970s, R9 290/390/Xs work as well, the Fiji cards actually have pretty good hashrate but you'll have to undervolt them to meet power efficiency numbers. On weaker cards it's not worth it unless you already own the card. Higher-end Nvidia cards are pretty good with zCash and other currencies, 1070s are about as good as 580s for Ethereum and a bit better at zCash for profitability.

That said cards above the 1070 give diminishing returns on Ethash, so you should only mine zCash if you buy say, 4 1080 Tis or 5-6 1080s.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1060s in my area hit $800. Good luck.

ORANGE SCREEN WINDOWS 10 VALUE OVER TIME - PC VS MAC

Spoiler

i5 7600k @ 5.0 GHz xD

Corsair H60 with Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

MSI Z270-A Pro Motherboard

EVGA 1050 Ti SC

16 GB Corsair DDR4 @ 2400 MHz

500 GB Sandisk 950 PRO - Windows 10, Elementary OS, Zorin OS

500 GB Sandisk 850 PRO

1 TB WD Blue

Corsair CX750

1 x Corsair AF120 Quiet Red Led

Rosewell Tyrfing Case

Spoiler

EliteBook 8570w
i7 3720QM @ 2.6 GHz
Quadro K1000M
24 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz
250 GB SanDisk 850 EVO - Elementary OS, Windows 10, Debian

Spoiler

i5 3470 @ 3.2 GHz
EVGA 750 Ti SC
8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
240 GB SanDisk - Windows 10, Linux Mint

My recommendation: Fold instead of mine. Might as well benefit the rest of the world while helping the GPU shortage.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

My recommendation: Fold instead of mine. Might as well benefit the rest of the world while helping the GPU shortage.

might as well donate money to a good cause then. 

OP, help out pc gaming and just don't... you can do so much cool stuff with that amount of money. 

She/Her

33 minutes ago, lieder1987 said:

With that amount of money why not get an ASIC miner?

Doesn't work with Ethereum mining. Pretty sure only works with bitcoin and profit in most case is really low unless you can affoad hundreds of these.

Magical Pineapples

7 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

you can do so much cool stuff with that amount of money. 

Like buy Steam games haha

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

46 minutes ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

Doesn't work with Ethereum mining. Pretty sure only works with bitcoin and profit in most case is really low unless you can affoad hundreds of these.

I wasnt suggesting he mine ehtereum...and the profit on an S9 today is 450 bucks a month. yes it would take about 11 months for ROI but after that...as long as BTC stays where it is and difficulty blah blah blah.

Asic's are only worth a shit if you can get in on the first or second batch of the latest ones, From day one an ASIC's income value starts to decline. Sure it can make a substantial return, however at the end when it starts to get near is profitable point they become worthless. The most money in asic's is getting in on the ground floor, mining as much as you can, then when they go out of stock you re-sell for 3-4x what they're worth. A GPU machine, at the end of the day may be worthless down the road as well, but atleast the parts can be re-used for something at the end. 

As for folding being good for the world, well who's to say blockchain technology and crypto-currencies are not good for the world? and yeah spending 5k on steam games? LOL man there are some but-hurt dreamers on here.

As for what to buy, it depends on what you want to mine, and also what your abilities are. If you want a set it and forget it style system with easy setup, then Nvidia based mining rigs are the way to go, if you like dicking around, and flashing bios's and putting time in, AMD is still king on many algorithms. 

51 minutes ago, FlatBrokeRacing said:

As for folding being good for the world, well who's to say blockchain technology and crypto-currencies are not good for the world? and yeah spending 5k on steam games? LOL man there are some but-hurt dreamers on here.

I tend to view folding as being of more use to the world than mining personally since it helps with disease research. That comment about spending 5K on steam games was a joke. Who are you calling "dreamers" here, that bit confuses me.

5 hours ago, dbcooper said:

Some years ago I mined LTC and I made some good money... Now I want to get into mining again but I'm a little outdated.

What are the best cryptos to mine with video cards? What hashrate could I expect from a 5k investment?

Thanks!

I'm keeping it simple and using nicehash. I lucked up and found someone selling an entire setup that they couldn't get figured out.

seven,  gtx 1070s, celeron processor, 12 gpu motherboard, 4gb ram, 850 watt Evga psu.

it was $3150, but considering a 1070 is $500 now, I'm a good bit ahead. I also have a 1080 ti on my gaming computer. 

Right now with Bitcoin in $10,500 range, all the cards should do about 900 a month.

Intel 5930k/ asus x99 deluxe II/ 32gb crucial ballistix ram/ Evga 1080 ti SC2/ enermax air cooler/ enthoo luxe case

7 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Like buy Steam games haha

damn... $5K on steam.. that's like 1000 games if you buy all of them on sale

She/Her

6 hours ago, FlatBrokeRacing said:

well who's to say blockchain technology and crypto-currencies are not good for the world? LOL man there are some but-hurt dreamers on here.

i don't want to pay triple price for a graphics card... 

She/Her

9 hours ago, lieder1987 said:

I wasnt suggesting he mine ehtereum...and the profit on an S9 today is 450 bucks a month. yes it would take about 11 months for ROI but after that...as long as BTC stays where it is and difficulty blah blah blah.

All of the ASIC have infinte ROI.

10 hours ago, lieder1987 said:

With that amount of money why not get an ASIC miner?

ASICS have infinite roi. For example look what happened to antminer d3.