Case Recommendations 

abccool2020

So I am planning on switching to the NZXT S340 Elite. I currently have the case that came with my pre-built. I am switching because the case is too small for my needs, and I want to change its motherboard, PSU, and adding in the brand new Hard drive. My first question is when I remove the stock CPU cooler, will I need to buy some new thermal paste? My second question is since I am changing motherboards, will I need to buy a fresh copy of windows? (Please keep in mind I am keeping the SSD that has the OS on it.). Is there anything else I may have trouble with when doing the switcheroo?

Depending on how long the cpu + cooler have been together, then you will need to reapply the paste. When you take it off and the paste feels dry, clean it off and reapply. And Windows should automatically detect the new changes and boot properly. Just make sure you have an ethernet connection or using the same wifi card.

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

2 minutes ago, abccool2020 said:

So I am planning on switching to the NZXT S340 Elite. I currently have the case that came with my pre-built. I am switching because the case is too small for my needs, and I want to change its motherboard, PSU, and adding in the brand new Hard drive. My first question is when I remove the stock CPU cooler, will I need to buy some new thermal paste? My second question is since I am changing motherboards, will I need to buy a fresh copy of windows? (Please keep in mind I am keeping the SSD that has the OS on it.). Is there anything else I may have trouble with when doing the switcheroo?

Yes, you will probably need to buy thermal paste, but your OS should be fine. 

Don't forget to "Quote" when replying so we can see it. 

when you replace the cooler you will need new thermal paste and you might get away with the same copy of windows. there is a tool called sysprep in windows that uninstalls all drivers so you can change systems on the same windows install. Windows 10 is better with hardware changes though so you should just try booting first and use sysprep as a last resort

Main PC: ASUS PRIME X299-A / Core i7 7820X / 16GB DDR4 / Palit GTX 1070 Ti / Corsair CX550F / Corsair Carbide Air 540

Secondary PC: ASUS X99-A / Core i7 5820K / 16GB DDR4 / EVGA GTX 780 ti Classified / Corsair CX500M / Fractal Define S

You'll need new thermal paste yes.

You won't need to re-purchase Windows, though a fresh install is often recommended when switching hardware. to make it easy, link your windows key to your microsoft/windows account.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

2 minutes ago, Airdragonz said:

Depending on how long the cpu + cooler have been together, then you will need to reapply the paste.

Should always re-apple the paste when you remove a heatsink, even if it's only been on a couple days. Taking it off and putting it back on will trap air bubbles between the 2 "layers" (the layer stuck to the cooler, and the layer on the CPU) which could cause temp issues.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

10 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

You won't need to re-purchase Windows, though a fresh install is often recommended when switching hardware. to make it easy, link your windows key to your microsoft/windows account.

Well you see the problem is that since I got a pre-built, I am not sure if I am able to do that. And If I did, would I still have to buy it again.

14 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

It appears that Windows has already done the job of linking my windows key to my account.

image.png.a9d8d0b611792f27153283b142f5da0e.png

How would I reinstall windows when it is linked to my account like this?

5 minutes ago, abccool2020 said:

It appears that Windows has already done the job of linking my windows key to my account.

image.png.a9d8d0b611792f27153283b142f5da0e.png

How would I reinstall windows when it is linked to my account like this?

during the re-install setup, just click I don't have a product key, it'll install fine, and after the install in the account setup just sign in with your account and it'll activate. Also even if you don't do that, often microsoft logs your MB and assigns the windows key to it so just re-install and it'll activate itself. 

they getting smart :P 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

I mean an s340 will save you some money

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

5 minutes ago, abccool2020 said:

So I am moving My pc out of my original pre-built case. I am doing this because it is too small for my needs, plus I am changing the Motherboard, PSU, and adding 2 TB of hard drive storage to go alongside my SSD. I am considering going with the NZXT s340 Elite white(https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146239), but I wanted to see if you guys could possibly give me a better Recommendation for a Mid-tower case with a couple of hard drive bays for my 2 TB SSD that is under 80 dollars.

I would suggest avoiding windowed cases if you have any sort of sex drive.

Just now, QuantumBit said:

I mean an s340 will save you some money

The only reason I am going with the elite is that it is on sale right now, as well as it has tempered glass, and the one on the s340 scratches easily

Just now, Apepa said:

I would suggest avoiding windowed cases if you have any sort of sex drive.

Why?

Just now, abccool2020 said:

The only reason I am going with the elite is that it is on sale right now, as well as it has tempered glass, and the one on the s340 scratches easily

I mean what are you going to be doing around your case that would make it scratch? Also seeing you're using a pre-built I doubt the insides are going to be attractive...

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

5 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

I mean what are you going to be doing around your case that would make it scratch? Also seeing you're using a pre-built I doubt the insides are going to be attractive...

I would be taking it so some LAN parties, so I may be hauling it around a bit. I feel that I would be worth it for 20 dollars extra, it would be worth it. I have an i7-6700, 16 gigs of ram, buying https://pcpartpicker.com/product/JbmxFT/msi-z270-gaming-plus-atx-lga1151-motherboard-z270-gaming-plus (Not to mention it has RBGs), a GTX 1060 (That was a hassle to install because of the size of my case), I feel that there would be worth the window.

7 minutes ago, abccool2020 said:

Why?

I see this, I don't exactly think "pussy magnet".

4406bc8410719c1ef010d840d8a8ef55--gaming-computer-gaming-rig.jpg

1 minute ago, Apepa said:

I see this, I don't exactly think "p**** magnet".

What do you think is not so good about it. Yes the cable management is eh, but It is not looking that bad

in my opinion anything from fractals define series is good

Main PC (The Silencer): CPU - i5 8400 | Cooler - Noctua ND-D15 | Motherboard - Asus tuf Z370 Plus Gaming | Memory - Team Dark 16GB DDR4 2400MHz | Graphics card - Nvidia 750 ti | Storage - Crucial MX500 500GB, WD Blue 2TB | Case - Fractal Design Define R6 | PSU - Evga Supernova 650W 80+ Platinum

11 minutes ago, abccool2020 said:

What do you think is not so good about it. Yes the cable management is eh, but It is not looking that bad

picard-facepalm.jpg

11 hours ago, Apepa said:

i wouldnt look at someone flaming on a pc forum and think "pussy magnet"

11 hours ago, Zeta_Demon said:

in my opinion anything from fractals define series is good

I'm a fractal design fan myself

11 hours ago, Apepa said:

I can see the rgb stripes .....

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

42 minutes ago, MyRigsBetterThanUrs said:

i wouldnt look at someone flaming on a pc forum and think "pussy magnet"

That's why the Good Lord gave us screen lock. Nice try though ?

1 hour ago, Apepa said:

That's why the Good Lord gave us screen lock. Nice try though ?

havent read anything here but are you actually judging people on personal preference?

I mean you do you but i just wanna know.