How do you guys n gals deal with nostalgia over games that can't be played anymore?

Frankenburger

Being a child of the 80's, I've seen a lot of online games come and go. Either they evolve into something different, the online community is no longer sustainable, or the plug is completely pulled. As of late, both Lineage 2 and Pangya have been stuck in the back of my head, which is something I dealt with over City of Heroes, but to a much larger extent. While Lineage 2 is still technically "active", NCSoft changed it for the worse IMHO. Of course, there are private servers, but the aesthetic of the respective games are lost somewhere in transition, and they usually have a much smaller population that makes it harder to get into. To make matters worse, I feel I lost my passion for games as of late. There simply aren't games that I feel driven to dump any considerable amount of time into, which makes it hard for me to find a new game to love. I don't know if it's just an age thing, or if what I found enjoyable in games no longer exists. That's not to say that I'm losing sleep over it, but it certainly marks a passing of time, and with it, a piece of myself.

That said, I was wondering how people around here cope with the nostalgia of a lost game that was once their passion? What games did you play that defined your younger years that you simply cannot revisit, and how do you get your mind off it?

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

as bad as this may sound, my younger years where entirely spent on Rune Scape! :P

i pumped so many hours of my life into that game! they changed that too tough.

a little while ago they re-opened the oldschool servers tough, but with updates the community can vote on if they should be implemented or not. imo this is the closest i'll ever get to those good old days.

other than that i use emulators, but getting those games without pirating is getting quite cumbersome.

2 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

as bad as this may sound, my younger years where entirely spent on Rune Scape! :P

i pumped so many hours of my life into that game! they changed that too tough.

a little while ago they re-opened the oldschool servers tough, but with updates the community can vote on if they should be implemented or not. imo this is the closest i'll ever get to those good old days.

other than that i use emulators, but getting those games without pirating is getting quite cumbersome.

What's so bad about Rune Scape? It was popular for a reason :P

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

I grew up in the early 2000's and so a lot of the games I grew up with are still playable. Every time I go home to visit my folks, I invite my childhood friends for some good old couch coop/versus games on the PS2. The only games I can't play anymore are those from my early, early childhood in the late nineties on MS-DOS. I remember playing Final Doom, and this one game whose name I can't recall anymore. It was a platformer where you play a space guy with a funky looking helmet and a pogo-stick on one level where you beat up living balls. Like basketballs with eyes and mouths.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

22 minutes ago, Frankenburger said:

What's so bad about Rune Scape? It was popular for a reason :P

The new rs3 is nothing like the good old RuneScape.

That is probably why their old school servers have nearly the same amount of people as the rs3 servers.

The old battlefront 2 servers are back up too which is nice.

Desktop

CPUi5-6600K MotherboardGigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P CPU Cooler: Thermalright True Spirit 120M Black/white RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Gigabyte 1070 HDDs: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM  SSDSamsung EVO 850 500GB PSU: Coolermaster 550W 80+ Gold Case: NZXT S340 (White) with a white led strip ;)

Laptops

Dell 7577

CPUi7 7700HQ RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: GTX1060 Max-q HDD: 1TB 5400 RPM  SSDNVMe 512GB SCREEN: 4k IPS 15.6"

Macbook pro 2018

CPUi7 RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Radeon Pro 555X 4GB Storage256GB SCREEN: 15"

Game I used to play was dos based Rendezvous with Rama.  Geez, that was a LONG time ago but it was a really neat game and I enjoyed it a lot.

Only old game I miss was Star wars galaxies. Loved the shit out of that game. 

But these days I don't have time for mmo (otherwise I would still be playing eve online) but I chill with rpgs and a quick match of tf2 or bf1. 3 kids and a mortgage don't leave alot of time for time consuming mmos lol

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

I do miss some of my beloved PS1 games like Spyro, Medievil 2, maybe if i ever will have kids, i might get a PS1 in working state and introduce them to video gaming with PS1 classics like that meanwhile going down the memory lane myself.

Played a ton of the Delta Force series back then. Actually bought DF:LW again not too long ago for a couple bucks to see what it's like now -> and oh gawd is it horrible.

Should have left it in my memory as it was...

I dont really care about older games, because I know the context  is what made them so good (I was young, there werent many options, I played with my cousins and so on). Most of the games I loved are good (and some are average), but even the good ones are not my style nowadays, or when I play them I dont feel the same (so a 10/10 becomes a 7/10 and I dont feel like playing it).

So for me, the memory is more valuable then the game itself. The only game that I always seen to come back is Tibia, sometimes I dont play for 2-3 years than I go and play for a year~

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

I used to play mainly online in my younger days, Quake Arena, Cossacks, CS and GW. Its not so much the games I miss as you can still play most games, it's the people and communities, when I get nostalgic it's for guildies rather than games.

That's especially true cos now with family/life commitments I play mostly SP nowadays as I can't commit the hours for MP.

5950 - 3090 - 32gb - Aorus FV43U - Steam Deck - Fuji xPro 3 - Olympus OM1 n