Gaming laptop or Gaming desktop?

I am currently attending college and I am in a crisis. I am studying engineering and I am told that I will need a computer to do CAD, and I would love to play some high-end video games occasionally. Basically, I need something that is portable and something that is powerful. The problem is, I don't know if I should buy two separate devices or one that meets both criteria, meaning a powerful desktop and a fairly decent ultrabook or a light and powerful gaming laptop. So yeah, I need someone to help me make my decision

desktop+ultrabook sounds like a better option to me. Although because of the mining craze, gaming laptops might be a lot closer in price to a desktop. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Since you didn't mention your budget I'm just going to assume you're looking in the 1000-2000 dollar area. If you'd like a good laptop that could run majority of AAA games and very portable have a look at the Asus UX550VE (There are countless other laptops capable of what you want but there are lots of drawbacks, I've personally found this the best). But honestly considering you're in college I would rather just get a good laptop rather than spend your money on a desktop and a laptop. But note that the gaming experience wouldn't be as enjoyable on a laptop. (Remember you've gotta purchase a keyboard and monitor if you'd like a desktop)

This may seem overkill but my budget is $2500-$3000, and the reason I am spending this much is that I am also looking for longevity in my devices.

1 minute ago, Clabisanass said:

This may seem overkill but my budget is $2500-$3000, and the reason I am spending this much is that I am also looking for longevity in my devices.

Do you need to be able to run on battery for a long period of time? If not, have a look at some of the Clevo stuff. Marketed as Sager in the US.

2 minutes ago, Clabisanass said:

With that budget definitely get a desktop bud, you don't wanna be investing that much into a laptop since they're more prone to dying on you. You can get some really good ultrabooks for cheap nowadays. 

17 minutes ago, Clabisanass said:

I am currently attending college and I am in a crisis. I am studying engineering and I am told that I will need a computer to do CAD, and I would love to play some high-end video games occasionally. Basically, I need something that is portable and something that is powerful. The problem is, I don't know if I should buy two separate devices or one that meets both criteria, meaning a powerful desktop and a fairly decent ultrabook or a light and powerful gaming laptop. So yeah, I need someone to help me make my decision

I would say that this http://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-clevo-p775tm1-g-custom-built-gaming-laptop.html configured however you'd like it would be a great machine of choice.

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

CPU: R7 5800x3d (-25 all core CO 102 bclk)

Board: Gigabyte B550 AD UC

Cooler: Corsair H150i AIO

Ram: 32gb HP V10 RGB 3200 C14 (3733 C14) tuned subs

GPU: EVGA XC3 RTX 3080 (+120 core +950 mem 90% PL)

Case: Thermaltake H570 TG Snow Edition

PSU: Fractal ION Plus 760w Platinum  

SSD: 1tb Teamgroup MP34  2tb Mushkin Pilot-E

Monitors: 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p 240hz), Some FHD Acer 24" VA

GFs System

CPU: E5 1660v3 (4.3ghz 1.2v)

Mobo: Gigabyte x99 UD3P

Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO

Ram: 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 C16 (3000 C14)

GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 Super 

Case: Phanteks P400A Mesh

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w

SSD: Kingston NV1 2tb

Monitors: 27" Viotek GFT27DB (1440p 144hz), Some 24" BENQ 1080p IPS

7 minutes ago, Zajgu said:

With that budget definitely get a desktop bud, you don't wanna be investing that much into a laptop since they're more prone to dying on you. You can get some really good ultrabooks for cheap nowadays. 

Only a badly build laptop will be more prone to dying compared to an equivalent desktop, and ultrabooks aren't any good for CAD work on the go. If he has the money I don't see why he shouldn't grab a really good laptop.

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

GFs System

2 minutes ago, TheDankKoosh said:

Only a badly build laptop will be more prone to dying compared to an equivalent desktop, and ultrabooks aren't any good for CAD work on the go. If he has the money I don't see why he shouldn't grab a really good laptop.

Im unfamiliar with CAD work so apologies, but I reckon a 1000 dollar laptop should be able to run it? Leaving him 1500-2000 dollars to spend on a really good desktop. At the end of the day what matters is what you enjoy to game on.

My original thought was to buy a gaming laptop, but I created a desktop on pcpartpicker with equal specs to the laptop I was looking at and it came up to about $1000 cheaper. 

In reply to Windspeed36 I don't need long battery life since current is readily available but I looked at the Sager laptop lineup and I Think that they are too heavy for me

1 minute ago, Zajgu said:

Im unfamiliar with CAD work so apologies, but I reckon a 1000 dollar laptop should be able to run it? Leaving him 1500-2000 dollars to spend on a really good desktop. At the end of the day what matters is what you enjoy to game on.

This is one reason why I only buy refurb machines around a year or 2 after they are built, they're like new and they cost a hell of a lot less. I got this G751 for only $850 and it has around the same performance as 1060 3gb laptops and cost 2/3 of most of those.

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

GFs System

4 minutes ago, Zajgu said:

A $1000 dollar laptop will run CAD

1 minute ago, Clabisanass said:

A $1000 dollar laptop will run CAD

if you have 3k to burn then just invest in a thin and light laptop and a uber powerful desktop

I would say a mid-high end laptop along with a high end desktop will do the most for you after seeing your replies, so I would suggest this.

http://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-p650hp6-g-custom-built-gaming-laptop-w-nvidia-gtx-1060-w-g-sync.html

Don't worry, this isn't a heavy laptop, and it comes with good thermal paste and prema mod to fully squeeze every single bit of performance that these parts can provide.

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

GFs System

At this point your decision should be based on which one is more practical in your situation. Everything fits in your budget. Would you rather have it ALL wherever you go? Or would you rather leave the gaming for your room?

1 minute ago, ImNotThere said:

if you have 3k to burn then just invest in a thin and light laptop and a uber powerful desktop

That is What I am thinking of doing or rather the option which i find more practical but there is always the case that i need to do something when not at home.

That is What I am thinking of doing

go ahead, need suggestions for anything or you got your mind set?

3 minutes ago, Zajgu said:

At this point your decision should be based on which one is more practical in your situation. Everything fits in your budget. Would you rather have it ALL wherever you go? Or would you rather leave the gaming for your room?

leave gaming for my room is more practical but i am not a practical person

Get a desktop and ultrabook. I've done something similar recently with an admittedly much lower budget. Think of it this way. Gaming laptops have universally awful battery life. Unless you get one that can switch from the discrete gpu to the igpu when not gaming, you'll spend a lot of time plugged in and if you have say a 3 hour lecture you might not be able to plug in. A long battery life laptop and a desktop will be a better option because you'll be able to upgrade your desktop later when games are more demanding while your laptop will still be fine for work. And if you wanna play games with your friends in real life then get them round to your flat or halls and use steam in home streaming to play together on the couch.

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

4 minutes ago, Inversion said:

Get a desktop and ultrabook. I've done something similar recently with an admittedly much lower budget. Think of it this way. Gaming laptops have universally awful battery life. Unless you get one that can switch from the discrete gpu to the igpu when not gaming, you'll spend a lot of time plugged in and if you have say a 3 hour lecture you might not be able to plug in. A long battery life laptop and a desktop will be a better option because you'll be able to upgrade your desktop later when games are more demanding while your laptop will still be fine for work. And if you wanna play games with your friends in real life then get them round to your flat or halls and use steam in home streaming to play together on the couch.

this sounds like a very good option