O2+ODAC with JBL LSR30X

BenTan
Go to solution Solved by Dackzy,

it won't ever be able to work as a preamp. Your O2+ODAC has a line in, correct? This line in should also work as line out (since this is how the combo units are designed), but you won't be able to control the volume. So it will just act as a DAC.

Yes using the headphone output will add a lot of distortion. What you are doing is amplifying the signal twice, which means the distortion and general noise from the first amp will get amplified. 

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with using the O2+Odac as a preamp for the JBL LSR30X or LSR305? I own the first revision of the Mayflower O2+ODAC combo without the RCA ports at the back, so I'm wondering if I could hook up the JBL LSR30X with the line out at the front. I asked this question to JDS Labs and this was their response:

While you can use the front port for line-output, it's very likely that audible distortion will be present. You may need to reduce PC (DAC) volume to about 50% to achieve decent sound quality. I highly recommend installation of Dedicated RCA output for optimal quality.

I honestly don't know if he's exaggerating so I thought I'd come here for some second opinions. I'm thinking of adding RCA ports to my O2+ODAC unit so I don't have to go through the hassle of unplugging my headphones every time I use the speakers. But if there isn't going to be an audible improvement in sound quality, I might not add the RCA ports, since I'm gonna have to ship it back to Mayflower to add the RCA ports and it'll take a while to get back to me.

Thanks in advance

it won't ever be able to work as a preamp. Your O2+ODAC has a line in, correct? This line in should also work as line out (since this is how the combo units are designed), but you won't be able to control the volume. So it will just act as a DAC.

Yes using the headphone output will add a lot of distortion. What you are doing is amplifying the signal twice, which means the distortion and general noise from the first amp will get amplified. 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

Apparently, the line in works as line out when the O2 is powered off. Didn't know that, thanks.

So, let me understand this correctly. When you use the line in as a line out, would this be the equivalent of using RCA ports at the back?

EDIT: It's a little confusing to me as my initial impression of the line in was to use the amplifier independently of the DAC.

16 minutes ago, BenTan said:

Apparently, the line in works as line out when the O2 is powered off. Didn't know that, thanks.

So, let me understand this correctly. When you use the line in as a line out, would this be the equivalent of using RCA ports at the back?

EDIT: It's a little confusing to me as my initial impression of the line in was to use the amplifier independently of the DAC.

Yeah it is the same as the RCA, but ofc it is a fixed output. Meaning no volume control.

The line in can be used so you can use the amplifier independently, you just need to not give the DAC any signal and then you can use the line in as a line in. That is at least how it worked with my combo O2/ODAC unit when I had one.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

2 hours ago, Dackzy said:

Yeah it is the same as the RCA, but ofc it is a fixed output. Meaning no volume control.

The line in can be used so you can use the amplifier independently, you just need to not give the DAC any signal and then you can use the line in as a line in. That is at least how it worked with my combo O2/ODAC unit when I had one.

Yep he would need something like a Schiit Sys or Mackie Big Knob.