Computer an absolute stutter-fest.

Ωhmbreon

I recently got a warranty replacement on RAM because the kit failed. They sent me DDR4-2400, while the other kit was DDR4-2133. I thought nothing of this, and even overclocked my RAM to 2666MHz, which seemed to have worked just fine. Today, the games felt no where near as smooth. I swiftly reduced, then dropped the overclock altogether. It had no effect. Then, I dropped the overclock on my graphics card (EVGA 1070 FTW) from ~2050 to ~1700 to see if it would effect it, and it only dropped the framerate. I also dropped the overclock on my CPU, (i7 7700K on an Asus z270E) from 4.9GHz @1.325v to stock speeds with auto voltage, it dropped the framerate even more. I finally took the mismatched kit out (the 2400 kit), and it improved framerate a bit, but it still stutters like I've never seen before. I am baffled, becasue it started when I put the kit in, but when I took it out and tested the other components, the problem still won't go away.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Just some extra info:

My OS is Windows 10 64-bit on the latest version.

CPU: i7 7700K 

Mobo: Asus z270E Strix /w latest bios

Radiator: Fractal Design Celsius S36

RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury (2x4GB) @2133MHz (Without the 2x4GB HyperX Fury 2400 kit).

GPU: EVGA GTX1070 FTW w/ latest bios

SSD: Samsung 750 EVO 500GB

HDD: Toshiba P300 1TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W

Update: Swapping out the GPU for a 750Ti 2GB had no effect on the amount of stuttering and the audio glitches while stuttering in games.

Update 2: It is not the graphics card or RAM, since swapping those out had no effect.

I did find that it stutters in games ONLY when I move the mouse quickly. (Video and audio stuttering).

Does that point towards the processor? I have no LGA1151 processors to swap in, so I don't really have a way of checking.

You could use EVGA Precision XOC to see if your frametimes are fluctuating. You can also use it to check if your CPU and GPU clocks are fluctuating, too.

https://www.evga.com/precisionxoc/

You have to click on 'HW MONITORING' at the top left of EVGA Precision XOC to see the graphs, then scroll to the bottom to see the frametime graph. Play a game for 10 minutes, then check to see if the lines on the graphs are fairly horizontal for frametimes, CPU and GPU clocks.

18 hours ago, RainfallWithin said:

You could use EVGA Precision XOC to see if your frametimes are fluctuating. You can also use it to check if your CPU and GPU clocks are fluctuating, too.

Frametime and framerate were at 0, but so was GPU utilization. When I swapped out the 1070 for a 750Ti, frametime and framerate were still 0, but GPU utilization seemed accurate.

Top two are for the EVGA 1070 FTW, bottom two are from the EVGA 750Ti SC 2GB:

Screenshot (73).png

Screenshot (74).png

Screenshot (75).png

Screenshot (76).png

On-screen display (OSD) in EVGA Precision XOC needs to be turned on for some of the graphs to plot values, including the frametime graph. You should see GPU clocks, etc., as an overlay in the game you're playing when it's working.

10 minutes ago, RainfallWithin said:

On-screen display (OSD) in EVGA Precision XOC needs to be turned on for some of the graphs to plot values, including the frametime graph. You should see GPU clocks, etc., as an overlay in the game you're playing when it's working.

I can't get it to work, despite setting keys for it to show/hide/toggle (Num1, Num2, Num0 respectively).

So I got it to work, but there's also a flashing rainbow line that appears with it. In the picture, it happened to be blue.

Screenshot (77).png

So I did a few tests with it. The first one was mixed between mouse movement and no mouse movement, the second was no mouse movement, and the third

Screenshot (79).png

Screenshot (80).png

Screenshot (81).png

Go to OSD Settings and turn off FCAT Overlay to get rid of the coloured bar. There's a good post on Nvidia's blog about why it's useful.

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2013/03/26/with-our-new-tool-what-you-see-is-what-you-get/

Your frametimes are regularly spiking high; we want them to stay consistant (horizontal line). Find the GPU clock graph at the top of the hardware monitoring window and take a screenshot of it when you're playing a game and you have bad stuttering.

On 1/22/2018 at 4:25 PM, RainfallWithin said:

Go to OSD Settings and turn off FCAT Overlay to get rid of the coloured bar. There's a good post on Nvidia's blog about why it's useful.

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2013/03/26/with-our-new-tool-what-you-see-is-what-you-get/

Your frametimes are regularly spiking high; we want them to stay consistant (horizontal line). Find the GPU clock graph at the top of the hardware monitoring window and take a screenshot of it when you're playing a game and you have bad stuttering.

I follow, but it'll have to wait until Thursday because of my schedule.

I was also looking into CPU loads because I personally doubt the GPU is at fault. It was 18% at idle with 30% at idle when I was moving the mouse, which seem high. It was about 50-70% in Beamng.drive (I was testing there because that's where the problems started and I have baselines for proper frame rate, but not so much CPU load).

It has also degraded to the point where I move the mouse in game, it completely freezes up instead of just stuttering, so whatever it is may not have much life left in it. Frame rates have also dropped from 32-36 to 26-30 while testing in the same environment over the course of these few days.

On 1/22/2018 at 4:25 PM, RainfallWithin said:

Okay, so more testing, and the GPU clock wouldn't budge from 1747MHz and never left that number, I have it running on Kboost. I have also plugged in a 750Ti SC and a 950 SSC and got the same stuttering issue, while the clockspeeds stayed level. 

Considering all the information I've gathered, it has to be either the CPU, or more likely, the motherboard. 

I've ruled out the RAM, the hard drives, the power supply, the GPU, and made sure nothing was overheating. Nothing gets even close to overheating.

I'm probably going to take it to microcenter or somewhere to get it fixed since I don;t know whether it's the CPU or the motherboard at fault.

It's good that the GPU clock is consistently high.

Which mouse do you use, and do you have any software running for it in the background?