One of the cores of 8700k is showing 100c

Hiya, been having this problem since I installed my new 8700k yesterday. Only 2 pieces of software indicate that my CPU has an issue, SpeedFan and OpemHardware Monitors are showing that one of my six cores is sitting at around 100c. Bios and other apps are not showing any issues at all. Here's some screenshots:

https://imgur.com/a/VNiWs

https://imgur.com/a/Hc0Q3

https://imgur.com/a/7JSWB

I also created couple of posts on reddit and people are saying this is just a software bug or my hardware is reading temperature wrong. Is there any way to find out for sure? I don't seem to have any throttling and PC is running very smoothly @4.6Ghz this morning that one core temp changed to 103c now, first time I ever encounter this issue and it's pretty hard to find anything useful on google about this issue ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I ordered a new backplate as I had to force the one I had to fit in z370. It seemed a little wonky and maybe it could cause this issue, seems strange to have 5 cores run between 28c and 55c and have only one of the cores go above 100c, I'm not sure how it's physically possible... Also considering grabbing another corsair cooler to see if it also can help with the issue, tho my 3+ years old H110i is still giving me pretty amazing temperatures.

booper.png

Trust the BIOS over any in-OS software. Besides, they're all reading from the same sensors so it's impossible those programs know something the others don't. It's probably just a bug. CPUID HWMonitor is the most trustworthy (outside of the BIOS) in my experience.

The only way to know for sure would be an external measurement with thermal imaging or a dedicated instrument but I'm pretty sure it's a bug.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Well Bios is showing only overall CPU temp, which is fine. I couldn't find an option to read each core individually. Also CPUID HWMonitor is showing one of the cores as [TRIAL], which is again I have no clue wth it means...

Thanks for reply! 

usually when 1 core is much higher then others its either a wrong reading OR the intel toothpaste isnt correctly spreaded under the IHS and one core doesnt have contact to it. I would either return the CPU or delid.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

I reapplied thermal paste several times already and I get the same readings every time. If I can't solve this issue on my own I will probably start talking to Intel or Amazon.

Considering its reading that when all the others are at ~30, id say the temp monitor on the die is faulty. 
Could return it to amazon as faulty, they tend to be good with returns.

Thanks for replies, guys. If the issue won't go away after I replace backplate, I will be returning it back to amazon.

Just talked to intel tech support they asked me to get their app: "Intel Extreme Tuning Utility" and tell them its readings, which were fine and they said I shouldn't be worried about anything. Well, I guess there's no issue and I just have to keep my warranty in case it does burn my cpu/motherboard.

Boopers.png

Time to overclock to 5ghz and burn my house hehe

16 minutes ago, Envis79 said:

Just talked to intel tech support they asked me to get their app: "Intel Extreme Tuning Utility" and tell them its readings, which were fine and they said I shouldn't be worried about anything. Well, I guess there's no issue and I just have to keep my warranty in case it does burn my cpu/motherboard.

Boopers.png

Get a screen shot with an actual load on all the cores.  

5 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Get a screen shot with an actual load on all the cores.  

Here

bppp.png

The DTS on the cores of that chip are fine.  Stop using HW Monitor and give HWInfo64 a go.  Much better monitoring software that covers a great deal more sensors.

If you still have the problem with HWInfo64, which I doubt you will, simply go into the settings for that particular sensor and apply an approximate offset.  

Good luck man. 

https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php