ELI5 UEFI Windows 10 Install

Noyu
Go to solution Solved by STRMfrmXMN,
10 minutes ago, Noyu said:

this isn't really an ELI5. anyways does it have any advantages over Legacy Boot? How would I know if all my hardware is UEFI-ready?

reeee this is so confusing

If your hardware made made post Sandy Bridge Intel or is a very recent AM3 board or any AM4 board, then your system supports EFI. And BTW, your "BIOS" as many incorrectly call it, is your UEFI (if your motherboard supports it). So if you have an old Core 2 Duo system, that has the traditional "BIOS" and only supports Legacy installs. If you have, say, an AM4 system, your system has a UEFI, and supports both Legacy and EFI installs of whatever OS you choose.

EFI is a boot protocol, like Legacy, but is newer, supports volumes larger than 2TB for booting off of, is a little bit faster to boot unless secure boot is on (negligible at that point), and secure boot allows for a security check at startup. The clock within your OS also talks to your UEFI, so if you connect your PC to the internet at any point in time within an EFI-install of an OS, the clock on your motherboard will be exactly correct.

There's no reason to reinstall Windows over something so negligible to most people, but it's not a terrible idea to do it in the first place.

There's a speed test for you, if it matters to you.

can someone ELI5 this to me? I don't remember selecting an option install uefi or legacy. The OS just installed itself?

this is super confusing for me.

currently I'm super fine with how my rig is now.

but I'd like to know more about this so the next time I reformat, I can try it out.

EDIT: at my PC's current state, if I enable Windows 8/10 Features on my BIOS and disable CSM Support, the OS won't boot.

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

Use the Windows 10 USB creation tool. Deny your UEFI any compatibility with Legacy OSes or USB hardware, meaning turn off CSM and anything resembling "Legacy Boot."

When you boot up the installer you simply make sure the drive you want to install the OS on is select, click "New," "Apply," and continue. This should have created four partitions.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

36 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Use the Windows 10 USB creation tool. Deny your UEFI any compatibility with Legacy OSes or USB hardware, meaning turn off CSM and anything resembling "Legacy Boot."

this isn't really an ELI5. anyways does it have any advantages over Legacy Boot? How would I know if all my hardware is UEFI-ready?

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

10 minutes ago, Noyu said:

If your hardware made made post Sandy Bridge Intel or is a very recent AM3 board or any AM4 board, then your system supports EFI. And BTW, your "BIOS" as many incorrectly call it, is your UEFI (if your motherboard supports it). So if you have an old Core 2 Duo system, that has the traditional "BIOS" and only supports Legacy installs. If you have, say, an AM4 system, your system has a UEFI, and supports both Legacy and EFI installs of whatever OS you choose.

EFI is a boot protocol, like Legacy, but is newer, supports volumes larger than 2TB for booting off of, is a little bit faster to boot unless secure boot is on (negligible at that point), and secure boot allows for a security check at startup. The clock within your OS also talks to your UEFI, so if you connect your PC to the internet at any point in time within an EFI-install of an OS, the clock on your motherboard will be exactly correct.

There's no reason to reinstall Windows over something so negligible to most people, but it's not a terrible idea to do it in the first place.

There's a speed test for you, if it matters to you.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

OK NOW THAT'S AN ELI5. thanks man!

14 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I won't be doing a reinstall just because of this.

I reformat/reinstall OS almost regularly just cause.

Especially when the current install's been through so much changes.

again, thanks!

Karamo

Spoiler