Computer restarting during gaming.

So basically, I've had this problem for a long time now. Basically, during gaming and high stress situations, my pc would just restart. The monitor screen would go black and then it would reboot. It usually would take twice as long to reboot as if I just pressed restart. 

Now I would pin it down on my psu 100% if not for a few things. The only symptom I have is just random restarting. My pc never "not" turns on and I never get a bsod. Sometimes though, I would boot up and it would restart on my desktop when all the programs are booting up.

The thing is, my psu fan is working (I feel air blowing) but it seems that most of my restarts are happening in the summer. I have cleaned out my pc with compressed air and it's only 2 years old. My psu is 200 watts above the recommended wattage too. Something peculiar is that when I was buying this PREMADE pc (now you can flame me) people reported that the psu was notoriously bad. 

This leads me to believe that it may be because of an overheating of my CPU but I'm not sure.

some weird things I have noticed is that if I turned off all my keyboard lights and limited my FPS in game to just barely what I need, my pc restart chance is lowered a good chunk. 

Specs:

Fx-4300 Quad core processor

GTX 1050 Ti SC (A lot of restarts started happening after this but I guess it could be based on the fact that as soon as I got this card, I started playing more graphics heavy games)

2 sticks 4gb ddr3 ram

1tb hdd drive

500W ATX Turbo psu

2 fans

rgb lighting in case

If it’s not a good name brand PSU, replace it. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Post a picture of the label on the PSU. Does the PC come with a warranty? Use it.

If a 2016 prebuilt comes with an FX-4300, you can be sure it's also using a crap PSU. Not to mention the Turbo in the name

:)

25 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Post a picture of the label on the PSU. Does the PC come with a warranty? Use it.

If a 2016 prebuilt comes with an FX-4300, you can be sure it's also using a crap PSU. Not to mention the Turbo in the name

Here's the psu. I just want to be 100% sure it is the psu before replacing it or something. 

IMG_0584.JPG

2 minutes ago, SavagedBlade said:

Here's the psu. I just want to be 100% sure it is the psu before replacing it or something. 

IMG_0584.JPG

Get that crap out of there. Get a name brand PSU. You wont risk (as much, risk is always there) your components. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

7 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Get that crap out of there. Get a name brand PSU. You wont risk (as much, risk is always there) your components. 

Could of direct me to a psu that could fit my needs that are under 50-60$? I have no idea what I'm doing. I read somewhere how dual or single rail psu are better and GAHHH

oh and also my recommended psu wattage is 400 so..

19 minutes ago, SavagedBlade said:

IMG_0584.JPG

16 and 18 amps on each 12V rail is a pretty good sign that it's crap. 

7 minutes ago, SavagedBlade said:

Could of direct me to a psu that could fit my needs that are under 50-60$? I have no idea what I'm doing. I read somewhere how dual or single rail psu are better and GAHHH

oh and also my recommended psu wattage is 400 so..

I'd be surprised if it draws over 250W under a synthetic load. 

The CX450M, Pure Power 10 400W or Vengeance 400W should be around that price. 

Having a single rail is not a benefit, as long as each 12V rail on a multiple rail PSU is set properly. 

Edited by seon123
Something something

11 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Having a single rail is not a benefit, as long as each 12V rail on a multiple rail PSU is set properly. 

What do you think of this?

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-WHITE-Warranty-Supply-100-W1-0500-KR/dp/B00H33SFJU/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1516318760&sr=1-3&keywords=evga+power+supply

Also, I heard somewhere that the psu wattage should be 20% over the required amount, is this true?

10 minutes ago, SavagedBlade said:

What do you think of this?

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-WHITE-Warranty-Supply-100-W1-0500-KR/dp/B00H33SFJU/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1516318760&sr=1-3&keywords=evga+power+supply

Also, I heard somewhere that the psu wattage should be 20% over the required amount, is this true?

That's an absolute crap and overpriced PSU. 

No, not really. 

23 minutes ago, seon123 said:

That's an absolute crap and overpriced PSU. 

No, not really. 

Ok I'm going to try to get the cx 450m

in the meantime, is there anything I can do to prevent it from doing this till it gets here? 

What GPU did you have before? @SavagedBlade

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, SavagedBlade said:

Gt 720

Alright, definitely seems like the PSU is the culprit then. Just wanted to make sure you didn't have an equally power hungry GPU before. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Bump. Is there anything I can do to decrease the frequency this happens till I can get a new psu?

12 hours ago, SavagedBlade said:

Ok I'm going to try to get the cx 450m

in the meantime, is there anything I can do to prevent it from doing this till it gets here? 

Yes, turning your PC off and not use it until the new PSU arrives.

With THAT PSU and what you described here, it is highly likely that it already damaged the components a bit. If you continue to use it, it is possible that the PSU destroys everything.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

7 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yes, turning your PC off and not use it until the new PSU arrives.

With THAT PSU and what you described here, it is highly likely that it already damaged the components a bit. If you continue to use it, it is possible that the PSU destroys everything.

It's been like this since April 2016 with everyday usage lol

3 hours ago, SavagedBlade said:

It's been like this since April 2016 with everyday usage lol

Yes, be happy that it still works and don't stress your luck more than your angels can bear...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 1/18/2018 at 6:28 PM, seon123 said:

I have a question about the cx 450m that I can't find an answer to. How many rails does it have and move many amps are on each rail? Also, does it have a safety feature that shuts it off to prevent damage to components.

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Bronze-Certified-Modular-CP-9020101-NA/dp/B01MTZ96RU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516473064&sr=8-1&keywords=cx450m&th=1

1 minute ago, SavagedBlade said:

I have a question about the cx 450m that I can't find an answer to. How many rails does it have and move many amps are on each rail? Also, does it have a safety feature that shuts it off to prevent damage to components.

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Bronze-Certified-Modular-CP-9020101-NA/dp/B01MTZ96RU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516473064&sr=8-1&keywords=cx450m&th=1

It has a single 12V rail at 37,4A, just like it says on Corsair's site. 

Yes, it comes with the usual protections. 

4 minutes ago, SavagedBlade said:

There's a single 12v rail with all 450w on it, and yes it does have protections to prevent damage. https://tweakers.net/productreview/136105/corsair-cx450m.html

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, seon123 said:

It has a single 12V rail at 37,4A, just like it says on Corsair's site. 

Yes, it comes with the usual protections. 

Would 37.4A be overkill because my card barely needs 24A, this isn't sli to and I heard sli needs 34A

5 minutes ago, SavagedBlade said:

Would 37.4A be overkill because my card barely needs 24A, this isn't slim to and I heard sli needs 34A

12A would be more than enough for your system, but that's not why the CX450m was recommended. It happens to be a very good and very well priced PSU. Generally you can't get much cheaper than it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, SavagedBlade said:

Would 37.4A be overkill because my card barely needs 24A, this isn't sli to and I heard sli needs 34A

The 1050 Ti needs closer to 6A. The CX450M is often the cheapest decent unit, and there's no harm in having more wattage than needed. 

The required power for SLI depends on the cards used. 

Edited by seon123
Something something

• 4 months later...
On 1/20/2018 at 4:22 PM, seon123 said:

The 1050 Ti needs closer to 6A. The CX450M is often the cheapest decent unit, and there's no harm in having more wattage than needed. 

The required power for SLI depends on the cards used. 

I know this is necro posting and I apologize in advance, but I don’t really see a need to create and entirely new thread.

@seon123 I bought the cx-450m and I still am experiencing the same problem.

I did a little talking with the folks at bleepingcomputer and i can cross out the psu, overheating, and memory as the causes. Right now i suspect it may be because of my gpu.

Heres the link if you want to read more in depth about this. https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/677430/computer-just-restarts-randomly-not-psu/page-3

Apparently it’s being caused by “ntoskrnl.exe”, a system file