Power Connectors for Single & Multi-GPU Set-up

PSU: Corsair RM850x

Since my GPU required two 6-pin power connectors I used two sets of PCIe power cables connected to the two 8-pin slots in the PSU. After watching the LTT video on the 2200W PSU, it got me questioning my setup.

-Would it have been fine if I only used a single PCIe power cable since the cable has a couple 6/8-pin connectors?

-If I ever go SLI/CrossFire and that both GPU’s require dual 6 or 8 pin connections, would the cabling be a single power cable for each GPU, or two power cables connected to both GPU’s?

Any helpful answer is appreciated.

20 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

PSU: Corsair RM850x

Since my GPU required two 6-pin power connectors I used two sets of PCIe power cables connected to the two 8-pin slots in the PSU. After watching the LTT video on the 2200W PSU, it got me questioning my setup.

-Would it have been fine if I only used a single PCIe power cable since the cable has a couple 6/8-pin connectors?

-If I ever go SLI/CrossFire and that both GPU’s require dual 6 or 8 pin connections, would the cabling be a single power cable for each GPU, or two power cables connected to both GPU’s?

Any helpful answer is appreciated.

two 6pin connectors = one 8pin one.

So everything is fine for your setup.

If you go by spec of the connectors and pins, even 8+6pin is still (barely) OK. 2x 8pin is not however.

So if your GPU had two 8pin connectors, you should use one cable per connector on the Graphics card.

For  a 8+6pin setup with 2 cards I'd use three cables tbh. 2 8pin and one for the two 6pin.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Hi

As you already have the two cables in use then I would just leave it as it is. You could have used a single cable if you wanted to. If you ever go sli then you can just use 1 cable per gpu.

21 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

-snip-

So for example I have two 1080TI's like the one below, would I require four 8-pin cables?

Spoiler

FTW3-EN.png

8 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

So for example I have two 1080TI's like the one below, would I require four 8-pin cables?

Hide contents

FTW3-EN.png

Yup. You can't run the card without that configuration. Might give an error during POST if you used anything different, like a single 8P or a 8P + 6P setup. MUST be 8P + 8P.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 minute ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Yup. You can't run the card without that configuration. Might give an error during POST if you used anything different, like a single 8P or a 8P + 6P setup. MUST be 8P + 8P.

Therefore, would this theoretical set up require a PSU with four or more PCIe connectors?

4 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Therefore, would this theoretical set up require a PSU with four or more PCIe connectors?

Yup. For that card one cable per connector would be a better idea.

Some PSUs might have a 6P breakout cable but ignore that. That's good if the GPU had a 8P + 6P connector and you wanted to do the run with one cable or maybe it's a cost saving measure.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

13 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Yup. For that card one cable per connector would be a better idea.

Some PSUs might have a 6P breakout cable but ignore that. That's good if the GPU had a 8P + 6P connector and you wanted to do the run with one cable or maybe it's a cost saving measure.

Thanks for the clarification. Now I know my PSU is adequate if the need arises. 

3 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Reveal hidden contents

FTW3-EN.png

Yes, for those.

Seasonic has a great picture under  'Installation remark for high power consumption graphics card':
https://seasonic.com/faq/

That picture says it all.

10 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yes, for those.

Seasonic has a great picture under  'Installation remark for high power consumption graphics card':
https://seasonic.com/faq/

That picture says it all.

In my case where my 980 has two 6-pin connectors, would I have been fine even if I only used one PCIe power cable connected to both 6-pins? Asking this since the picture shows not to do that set up.

Reference pic:

Spoiler

PCIe-Remark-Dont.png

13 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

In my case where my 980 has two 6-pin connectors, would I have been fine even if I only used one PCIe power cable connected to both 6-pins? Asking this since the picture shows not to do that set up.

Yes, since its 225W TDP or less.

And, as I stated earlier, 2x 6pin equals one 8pin.

Both equal 150W specified.

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yes, since its 225W TDP or less.

And, as I stated earlier, 2x 6pin equals one 8pin.

Both equal 150W specified.

Thank you for all the input, now I'm even more confident on my PSU.