WIN 7 E vs WIN 10 E

Roman848

Hello everybody ;)

I have a question about what type of OS do you use in industrial environment.

I like flexibility and support for older devices and drivers on windows 7, but i don't like any support for NVMe Drives and very bad installation issues on computers that have support only for USB 3.0.

So , main question:

Do you prefer Windows 7 Enterprise or Windows 10 Enterprise (Industrial version of OS)

P.S teribly sorry if this topic doesn't belong here.

20 minutes ago, Roman848 said:

Hello everybody ;)

I have a question about what type of OS do you use in industrial environment.

I like flexibility and support for older devices and drivers on windows 7, but i don't like any support for NVMe Drives and very bad installation issues on computers that have support only for USB 3.0.

So , main question:

Do you prefer Windows 7 Enterprise or Windows 10 Enterprise (Industrial version of OS)

P.S teribly sorry if this topic doesn't belong here.

We have both in our environment, slowly migrating everyone over to W10.

i only used windows 7 enterprise on CAD workstations and we ran into many problems with upgrading from hardrives to SSDs, but the CAD software worked better on 7. thtis was a few years ago however.

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

2 hours ago, JoeyDM said:

We have both in our environment, slowly migrating everyone over to W10.

Yeah, i just migrated to Win 10 and testing programs and daily usage. I must knock on wood, everything seems to be fine and working correctly. And atleast installing drivers isn't as painful as it was on WIN 7.

12 minutes ago, SlipperyPete said:

i only used windows 7 enterprise on CAD workstations and we ran into many problems with upgrading from hardrives to SSDs, but the CAD software worked better on 7. thtis was a few years ago however.

We had issues with Windows 7 on Lenovo M710 Tiny Tower (1L in volume). It has issues like no support for NVMe drives and sometimes it couldn't even recognise itself at boot because of USB 3.0 Drivers was missing. As we thought like windows 7 will be way faster on nvme than windows 10 , in fact , it isn't at all... so we just lost like 2 days trying to install WIN 7 and in the end we sticked with WIN 10 :D And on that machine, we dont have any issues.

I have but a one issue with it and it's that damn pre-installed software in start.

We're going forward with Windows 10 Enterprise.

It seems that newer hardware (like Intel's latest generation of CPUs) don't properly support Windows 7 anyway.  I tried to run Windows 7 on our newest Dell latitude laptops, while I could install it just fine, it flagged me that the cpu doesn't support Windows 7 and I couldn't even get a windows 7 driver for the onboard graphics.  So Windows 10 it is, lol.

We are still on windows 7 but migrations are starting Mid-Year to be finished before 2020 which is when Windows drops support completely.

On 1/18/2018 at 10:25 AM, Majinhoju said:

We're going forward with Windows 10 Enterprise.

It seems that newer hardware (like Intel's latest generation of CPUs) don't properly support Windows 7 anyway.  I tried to run Windows 7 on our newest Dell latitude laptops, while I could install it just fine, it flagged me that the cpu doesn't support Windows 7 and I couldn't even get a windows 7 driver for the onboard graphics.  So Windows 10 it is, lol.

We succesfully installed Windows 7 on 6th generation Intel CPUs that we have on normal towers. We had some issues still though. No proper support for SSDs on win 7 (i mean sata but they were made later when windows 10 was already released). And many drivers weren't supported so we had to write many scripts and edit them to be able to work. We couldn't upgrade to Win 10 because it was way over budged for 200+ Computers. And we had to make it work otherwise we were f...

On 1/18/2018 at 10:30 AM, Looting said:

We are still on windows 7 but migrations are starting Mid-Year to be finished before 2020 which is when Windows drops support completely.

We are planing that too yeah, but we will be migrating sometime at mid 2018 so we have it finished by the end of 2019.

Company where I am, everyone is on Win10.

The only thing to really note if you with Win10, is that you get forced updates. Yes you can block them, and only have security updates. But individuals can manually force to check not on your company servers for update but instead Microsoft very own servers, by-passing your restrictions, and get the latest updates. That said, Enterprise editions of Windows 10 gets new build update LAST. Even if you wanted to get it as a new release is out, and you  really want it, you'll still get it last. Like only a few days ago, Fall Creator Update was released for Enterprise.

My advice, is to have someone, or your person systems which has similar setup to what is in the filed, be on an Insider, or run Pro edition of Windows, so that you get to have time to test your programs and setup, and be ready when a new release it out.