Spectre update in windows 10 makes my MSI gt70 OND unuseable

Hello,

So after a lot of troubleshooting (hardware of the laptop is not defective) I have found out that the moment the spectre update attempts to install the laptop goes into unresponsive mode or just shuts off without warning.

The symptoms are as follows:

I install a older version of windows 10 (august version since I have that on a usb still) and everything works fine.

It updates without issue until it reaches the update. First disk c goes to 100% then cpu usage drops to 1% ram useage drops and applications are becoming unresponsive 1 by 1 until the laptop goes out.

If I try to install the version that already contains the update it barely gets past the install now window and when it does it simply crashes and doesn't even attempt to boot even tho it seemed succesfull.

Once I run a completly updated version of 7 or 8.1 on it it no longer has the issue and functions like it always did under win 10 except certain features which I do need from 10.

I am fully aware it's an older laptop but it is still a very capable machine for programming, running vms, rendering and some older games (I just play gw2 and ut2004 on it from time to time and my mom plays skyrim on it for which it is more than enough.)

Does anyone have a fix for this or am I just screwed?

Specs:

MSI GT70 OND

i7 3630qm

12gb ddr3

gtx 675m

Extra info: it had been running 10 fine since launch (didn't like 8 so upgraded instantly) and until the update it just works like a charm. If I force the install of the update it can no longer boot. No matter if it's running the latest drivers or not.

Intel has made a statement that there may be issues for older CPUs and they're working on it.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Welcome to the post-spectre ivy Bridge world. There isn't much to do with it, unless you want to upgrade. Anything newer than haswell does not have significant performance degradation.

32 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Does anyone have a fix for this or am I just screwed?

Switch to Linux maybe? I've only seen complaints about Windows users. I also think there are some hacks to stop windows from updating. Get to maybe the anniversary update and then disable updates with one of those.

Well, there is no fix it's just the reality.  I have an ivy birdge lenovo laptop with an i3 and it is a real nightmare, it takes 2 seconds for right click to be registered, start menu takes ages to open, and so on. Switching to linux might help, but you can't do much.

Well great I have another brick here now. I already had to send my other laptop with a 6700hq back in warranty since it could no longer boot when it installed the update and I'm getting a new laptop since it's not fixable for that one either.