Wifi problem, please God help me

tazemarioz780

So I have a very big problem, I have a brand new z370 Asus motherboard with WiFi, cost me 200 dollars, built it all correctly, and I've same internet problem since my last build, the only same components is the hard drive and windows, everything else has been changed, the problem is the internet will stay connected for about a minute and then goes away and doesn't come back, there is no disconnecting and reconnect it literally just dissapears and then I can't open control panel, can't open network center, no system apps work, but all 3rd party apps work, no it isn't a virus I have Avast and Malwarebytes and I have done multiple scans. Its clean, so what's wrong, why does my internet problem persist over 2 builds, is it windows?, Before you ask, noone else in the house has this problem. Im too far away to use lan and cannot move my router, so I only have WiFi, can't move my PC either. Please help, all current drivers and everything, I would really like to stay away from formatting windows bc I have over 400gb of data, also sometimes it'll fix itself for about a week, then breaks again, I don't know why

If you have a 100% new build apart from the HDD with Windows, then it's probably Windows. It's good practice anyway to reinstall Windows and start fresh with a new build. This ensures and everything is as clean as it can be and gets rid of the drivers that were specific to the old build.

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

2 minutes ago, Unimaginative Name said:

If you have a 100% new build apart from the HDD with Windows, then it's probably Windows. It's good practice anyway to reinstall Windows and start fresh with a new build. This ensures and everything is as clean as it can be and gets rid of the drivers that were specific to the old build.

So do I have to format it? Or do like a windows refresh?

1 minute ago, tazemarioz780 said:

So do I have to format it? Or do like a windows refresh?

You should backup all important files (applications you can reinstall), and start completely clean. Then install all new drivers (chipset, etc...) and then move files and reinstall applications. It takes some time, but it results in a much better experience overall.

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

As Unimaginative Name said, the problem here is likely an old OS install for what is essentially a new build. Format the drive and do a clean install and use the latest chipset drivers available, not the ones that come on the CD for the motherboard.

1 minute ago, johnukguy said:

As Unimaginate Name said, the problem here is likely an old OS install for what is essentially a new build. Format the drive and do a clean install and use the latest chipset drivers available, not the ones that come on the CD for the motherboard.

Dammit okay thanks

3 hours ago, johnukguy said:

As Unimaginate Name said, the problem here is likely an old OS install for what is essentially a new build. Format the drive and do a clean install and use the latest chipset drivers available, not the ones that come on the CD for the motherboard.

3 hours ago, Unimaginative Name said:

You should backup all important files (applications you can reinstall), and start completely clean. Then install all new drivers (chipset, etc...) and then move files and reinstall applications. It takes some time, but it results in a much better experience overall.

IT DIDNT WORK HELP, I can't afford another board, there's gotta be a fix for this, I factory reset windows clean install fresh new drivers and after 2 hours it still doesn't work

28 minutes ago, tazemarioz780 said:

IT DIDNT WORK HELP, I can't afford another board, there's gotta be a fix for this, I factory reset windows clean install fresh new drivers and after 2 hours it still doesn't work

Not a factory reset. Actually formatting the main drive and doing a clean install from an OS installer on a USB stick or similar. Also, updating the BIOS (if necessary) and installing the latest chipset drivers.

Yeah i'm going to weigh in on this just to clarify:

If you have an existing problem that's causing faults inside Windows (in this case, network adapters disappearing) then it is almost always Windows itself that is the problem. Using Windows to perform a Windows refresh/reset just clears out junk data and uninstalls a bunch of stuff. Most of the system files, .dll's, reg entries etc are left untouched (this is so that Windows doesn't bork itself whilst 'self repairing' - that would be a little embarrassing for Microsoft after all).

The only real way to fix an issue like this is to completely format the hard drive you're using and install Windows fresh, just make sure you back up anything you want to keep (if you don't have another hard drive spare there are a bunch of cloud services with reasonable free tiers which should mean you can store a total of a few hundred GB's).

6 hours ago, johnukguy said:

Also, This ^

If your board is a year or two old, I can guarantee the chipset drivers included on the CD are at least as old, and tbh, probably older. Get your PC plugged into your home router via ethernet and download the most up to date from the manufacturers website, or use a different device and place them on a USB stick.

It seems like the assumption so far has been that your WiFi is perfectly setup and optimized.

Have you done a wifi site survey to check for signal loss, reflection/absorption, interference?

Yea, I agree with everything that's been said here.

.Check your wireless router with something else to see if it's actually working reliably.

.Reinstall windows from scratch with the USB installer which you can download from microsoft (write down your product key for windows first just in case).  To create the USB, you need the media creation tool from microsoft.

.Make sure all of the drivers are up to date. Go to the motherboard's product page you bought it off of, grab the model number, then go to the motherboard manufactures website, search that model number, go to it's support page, download any drivers that are there for the correct version of windows you have, and then install them one at a time. I personally prefer updating them with device manager and just pointing to the folder where they're download and extracted.

Oh and just try to update the wifi adapter right in device manager searching online for the driver if you can't find anything.