Best Mainboard for the Xeon E3-1230 v3?

Go to solution Solved by atrash,
Gremkow, on 15 Dec 2013 - 04:08 AM, said:Gremkow, on 15 Dec 2013 - 04:08 AM, said:

Correct me if I'm wrong:

You only need that Z-Boards for overclocking? I was told that those business boards are a no-go for gaming?

-> I'm now thinking about getting what i first wanted: The Xeon + the Asus h87?

you are right.Z-board is for overclocking, also plus some extra features added befitting of an enthusiast build. You can still use 'business board' for gaming no problem, provided that it is off a good brand/quality board. 

I would go ahead and get that xeon and asus board. just check whether the bios is compatible with that cpu and you're good to go.

Edit: That Xeon is compatible with that motherboard

I'm struggling a bit with the choice of the cpu/mainboard for my rig.

I'm looking for a Xeon E3-1230 v3 combined with an Asus H87 Pro.

I need the 5.1 audio output. 2 pcie slots should be enough (I'll get an appropriate GPU with a 2 slot usage).

The pc in general is for gaming and maybe a bit of video cutting/optimization.

Is the Asus-board good enough for my needs?
Do you have any reccomendations? :)

Don't get an Xeon. I don't care that it is almost equal to a 4770.

If you're on a budget that will work fine as it is in the support list and it's a fairly decent board.

That being said it's not SLI certified so if you did want to go dual GPU it'd have to crossfire.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

I would also advise against a Xeon but with that said, Asus make very good boards so I don't think you can go far wrong with that mate

For your needs I'd look at the Core i5-4670K, no HT but is overclockable and I think cheaper than that Xeon, the Core i5 will handle any of your video customising needs

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

ExconHD, on 15 Dec 2013 - 03:45 AM, said:

Why not?

Can u explain why i shouldn't get one? Only the graphicunit missing + no oc?

If you're on a budget that will work fine as it is in the support list and it's a fairly decent board.

That being said it's not SLI certified so if you did want to go dual GPU it'd have to crossfire.

I think I wont do SLI. But thank you!

I would also advise against a Xeon but with that said, Asus make very good boards so I don't think you can go far wrong with that mate

For your needs I'd look at the Core i5-4670K, no HT but is overclockable and I think cheaper than that Xeon, the Core i5 will handle any of your video customising needs

Is this also worth it if i have to pay more for a different mainboard?

Because you're limiting yourself.

Yeah, but i save about 30(!)% [in Germany]. A different mainboard for an i7 would also cost more.

ExconHD, on 15 Dec 2013 - 03:51 AM, said:

In terms of what exactly? It is significantly cheaper than a 4770 and still has HT.

to what ? whats the difference between someone that buy a NON K i7 4770 and this xeon ,which is the exact same cpu with 100mhz less and no igpu,which lets admit,thats nothing. non K cpus sells a LOT better than K cpus so where is that limit?

Go with the xeon and go with a decent H87 board and its good.

Yeah, but i save about 30(!)% [in Germany]. A different mainboard for an i7 would also cost more.

if you would get the i7 4770 you would still look at that board.even a b85 one.there is no such thing as motherboard for i7. 

if you would get the i7 4770 you would still look at that board.even a b85 one.there is no such thing as motherboard for i7. 

Correct me if I'm wrong:

You only need that Z-Boards for overclocking? I was told that those business boards are a no-go for gaming?

Gremkow, on 15 Dec 2013 - 04:08 AM, said:Gremkow, on 15 Dec 2013 - 04:08 AM, said:

Correct me if I'm wrong:

you are right.Z-board is for overclocking, also plus some extra features added befitting of an enthusiast build. You can still use 'business board' for gaming no problem, provided that it is off a good brand/quality board. 

I would go ahead and get that xeon and asus board. just check whether the bios is compatible with that cpu and you're good to go.

Edit: That Xeon is compatible with that motherboard

Edited by atrash

Correct me if I'm wrong:

yes the Z chipset is for overclock. the peformance of an i7 non k on a z87 board would be the same with a h87 one. that asus is a very good choice if you can stand the color. the gigabyte ga-h87-d3h is a very good board too

s3ns3, on 15 Dec 2013 - 04:19 AM, said:

yes the Z chipset is for overclock. the peformance of an i7 non k on a z87 board would be the same with a h87 one. that asus is a very good choice if you can stand the color. the gigabyte ga-h87-d3h is a very good board too

+1. That Gigabyte board looks nicer and has more USB ports and better audio and lan chipset.

+1. That Gigabyte board looks nicer and has more USB ports and better audio and lan chipset.

Looks are not the problem, I'll have a closed case. But if you say that the gigabyte is good as well I will definitely look for it. A friend just told me Asus boards are reliable and have a good quality.

Thanks, both of u!