Putting my HDD in a new build

TXshooter
Go to solution Solved by jmack,
2 minutes ago, TXshooter said:

or would the easiest thing be to just buy another copy of my OS?

You MAY have issues with the Windows install if you change to a new PC and just move the drive. However, that being said, I always use these kind of things as an excuse to get a fresh install. I would buy another copy of Windows, backup your files and reinstall fresh.

Im building a new computer and want to transfer my old hard drive to my new computer because it has my old programs an OS on it, how would i do this? What would i have to configure?

You would probably need to contact Microsoft support to move the OS activation to the new computer since it's tied to the mobo.

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

if your moving from something to ryzen they recommend you reconfigure

but if I am correct just unplug the data cable and power wall your pc is off and the drive isn't still spinning then insert it into your pc

if you want you could use an external for this transfer if your worried about data transfer etc

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

So it is just plug and play, and then just configure the bios to boot from the new drive?

2 minutes ago, TXshooter said:

You MAY have issues with the Windows install if you change to a new PC and just move the drive. However, that being said, I always use these kind of things as an excuse to get a fresh install. I would buy another copy of Windows, backup your files and reinstall fresh.

Backup your files at least.

If it is a retail windows key and not OEM, you can transfer it to a new PC, but you might need Microsoft Support to do it for you including remote controlling your PC if the key wont automatically reactivate.

Linus is my fetish.

1 hour ago, TXshooter said:

Okay so just plug and play. Thank you

Not really just plug and play. It depends version of Windows. If you have Win10, it might just work. Usually does, but if jump is really big (Intel to AMD or other way around), there might be issues. Recommendation is to reinstall.

As for key it also depends on version of Windows. If you have OEM WIn8/.1 or 10, you need another key. OEM WIn7 is 50-50. Retail is all good.

BIOS has nothing to do with OS.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv