improveing my home network

infernalhaddock
Go to solution Solved by Matthew Waring,

In regards to powerline adapters, I setup a set for my connection to the router but I still get faster download and upload over wireless, I still keep the powerline kit as it gives me a more stable connection when playing. Just be careful with the powerline adapters since you are not guaranteed a faster speed and they are quite expensive. 

I'm currently running all the devices in my home on the wifi provided by the router from my ISP (British Telecom) I want to try and improve it I did use to use an ASUS RT-N56U N600 Dual-Band Gigabit Wireless Router which was plugged into my old ISP router I am unsure if this would be better to use or how I would go about it. 

please note I live in a listed building so drilling through walls and running cables is not an option 

1 minute ago, johnukguy said:

Use powerline adapters instead. Cheap and much faster than WiFi.

how do thy work does it run your internet through the cables in the house 

More or less yes, as they run internet over power lines. They're pretty much plug and play nowadays. You can get a gigabit powerline adapter kit for around $40 (US). You plug one adapter into a wall socket near your router, which is connected by ethernet cable, then plug the other into whatever device you need connected anywhere else in the house, which is also connected by ethernet cable. Just sync the two, which is usually just a case of pressing a button on one and then the same button on the other and that's just about it. You won't actually get a full gigabit in most cases, even less if your internet is slower than that anyway of course, but it's usually a lot faster than WiFi and you don't have to bother with repeaters, switches or any of that sort of thing.

Yeah powerline sounds fine but if your Wi-Fi usage area is small then try an AC router. Powerline will be faster but its not that common and its more expensive I guess.

what would you say to swap the router over then or running an ethernet cable to the Asus router which is what I had to last time I set it up. then running the wifi from that do u think it would make a difference. my internet it's running ok at the moment on average about 40Mbs its supposed to be 80 but you never get what you pay for BT infinity my arse.

I just want it to run as efficient as possible  

In regards to powerline adapters, I setup a set for my connection to the router but I still get faster download and upload over wireless, I still keep the powerline kit as it gives me a more stable connection when playing. Just be careful with the powerline adapters since you are not guaranteed a faster speed and they are quite expensive.