Is there such a thing like a cheap x86 computer at the size of a Raspberry Pi?

Lord Athetos

I'm planning to build a tablet like device with some operating systems for ethical hacking. I dont want to Ho on the cheap, and i dont want to use a laptop. Anyone knows if something like this exists?

Spoiler

PC: Crimson DNA

CPU: Ryzen Threadripper 1920x | GPU: Titan X pascal | RAM: 64 Gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 2800 Mhz Motherboard: MSI x399 Creation PSU: Corsair TX850M Case: Deepcool Genome ROG certified edition | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman Elite + Razer Orbweaver chroma Mouse: Razer Naga

Laptop: Alienware 13 R3

CPUCore i7 7700HQ | GPU: GTX 1060 6 GB | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 Monitor: 1440p OLED touchscreen

6 minutes ago, Lord Athetos said:

Even if you could source the necessary components for a tablet. It wouldn't be on the cheap. The easiest way to do that, would probably be to use the RPI3 and attach a 7" (more or less) display in some sort of housing. You would need to chop of the ports that will add unnecessary height to the device.

5 minutes ago, JustAStrangeGeek said:

Even if you could source the necessary components for a tablet. It wouldn't be on the cheap. The easiest way to do that, would probably be to use the RPI3 and attach a 7" (more or less) display in some sort of housing. You would need to chop of the ports that will add unnecessary height to the device.

I dont mind about the extra height, the power bank that i will use is pretty big as well, i just need a board like a RPI3, but that supports x86 operating systems without using emulators. 

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen Threadripper 1920x | GPU: Titan X pascal | RAM: 64 Gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 2800 Mhz Motherboard: MSI x399 Creation PSU: Corsair TX850M Case: Deepcool Genome ROG certified edition | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman Elite + Razer Orbweaver chroma Mouse: Razer Naga

CPUCore i7 7700HQ | GPU: GTX 1060 6 GB | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 Monitor: 1440p OLED touchscreen

2 minutes ago, Lord Athetos said:

I dont mind about the extra height, the power bank that i will use is pretty big as well, i just need a board like a RPI3, but that supports x86 operating systems without using emulators. 

But the RPi3 model b has native support for x86, doesn't it?

6 minutes ago, JustAStrangeGeek said:

It has an arm processor, the only way x86 could work on a RPi3 os via emulators

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Lord Athetos said:

It has an arm processor, the only way x86 could work on a RPi3 os via emulators

Ok then, I think your out of luck. Unless you can find a BGA CPU and MOBO somewhere.

4 minutes ago, JustAStrangeGeek said:

not in the way that you think. it can somewhat emulate x86, but the performance REALLY isnt there.

on topic: 

there's some platforms out there, but they never quite took off so they're hard to find and support is limited.

if i'd have to point out the least unsuccessful one, i'd say the intel compute stick.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

not in the way that you think. it can somewhat emulate x86, but the performance REALLY isnt there.

Yeah I did notice the performance when I installed Ubuntu and raspbian on it. Really isn't capable of much other than programming LEDs and watching YouTube.

1 minute ago, JustAStrangeGeek said:

Yeah I did notice the performance when I installed Ubuntu and raspbian on it. Really isn't capable of much other than programming LEDs and watching YouTube.

its capable of a load more than that, in fact youtube is not really something it does very well.

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

its capable of a load more than that, in fact youtube is not really something it does very well.

Agreed. It's actually WAY more capable compared to the iPad 2nd gen, I am having so mch trouble with it right now. Can barely type a few words before it overheats. My Skylake machine slays this thing to the other side of the galaxy Lol.

1 minute ago, JustAStrangeGeek said:

Agreed. It's actually WAY more capable compared to the iPad 2nd gen, I am having so mch trouble with it right now. Can barely type a few words before it overheats. My Skylake machine slays this thing to the other side of the galaxy Lol.

to be honest.. that sounds like something you're doing wrong...

Just now, manikyath said:

to be honest.. that sounds like something you're doing wrong...

I know right. Thinking to upgrade to a high end laptop. This tablet can't even watch YouTube 1 hour straight without crashing atleased once.

best chance i see is get a old / cheap notebook and strip it down into a new chassis of some sort.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Look up the Intel compute stick, would that be any good? Otherwise there may be some industrial embedded computing modules that could fit, but I don't have a specific example for that.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible