Windows Update KB4056892 (Kernel Patch) Keeps Failing

JustAStrangeGeek
Go to solution Solved by RoboKun,

I just downloaded the update directly from the Microsoft update catalog and it worked without reinstalling! so that might be worth trying. here's the link https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=kb4056892

Hey Guys,

I just received the Kernel Patch update (KB4056892) and After many attempts to install it, I keep getting the error code: 0x800f081f. I have turned off my anti-virus (Avast AV) and am still getting this issue. I have noticed that the update has a pattern. Which is: 'Installing: 24%' to 'Installing: 0%' to 'Installing: 68%' and finally 'Installing: 100%'. As soon as it gets to 100%, the update crashes and provides the error code mentioned above. Anyone had this issue or know of a fix?

Straight from Mickeysoft........

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

You will be able to solve some problems by running a troubleshooter that will automatically fix some common issues with Windows Update. Once this is done check if you are able to access the store.

Open the Windows Update troubleshooter by following these steps:

• Press Windows key + X and click on Control Panel.
  • Click on Troubleshooting and click on View All.

Click on “Windows Update” troubleshooter to fix problems with Windows Update. Follow the on-screen directions to run this troubleshooter and restart the computer to check if this helps.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/windows-10-error-code-0x800f081f/14b4d3a7-ec6d-4e23-a872-04bcae4b0c5d

4 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Straight from Mickeysoft........

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

You will be able to solve some problems by running a troubleshooter that will automatically fix some common issues with Windows Update. Once this is done check if you are able to access the store.

Open the Windows Update troubleshooter by following these steps:

• Press Windows key + X and click on Control Panel.
  • Click on Troubleshooting and click on View All.

Click on “Windows Update” troubleshooter to fix problems with Windows Update. Follow the on-screen directions to run this troubleshooter and restart the computer to check if this helps.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/windows-10-error-code-0x800f081f/14b4d3a7-ec6d-4e23-a872-04bcae4b0c5d

Thank you very much! you where the first person to reply. Even before Microsoft did (Also asked Microsoft for help on their forums) .

Hey,

After the fiasco of 'Meltdown' and 'Spectre' bugs (with 'Meltdown' only effecting Intel and 'Spectre' effecting almost every modern-day processor), Microsoft released build #16299.192, or 'KB4056892'. This update patches the 'Meldown' bug and is supposed to install automatically. Obviously if it did install automatically for me, this thread would have no existence in the world of pixels. After running the windows 10 troubleshooter several times, 16299.192 refuses to install with either error code: 0x800f081f or error code: 0x8024a105. I have even tried to update with a different internet connection and to turn off my AV (anti-virus) with no luck. Anyone know of a fix?

Thanks.

Just now, JustAStrangeGeek said:

Hey,

After the fiasco of 'Meltdown' and 'Spectre' bugs (with 'Meltdown' only effecting Intel and 'Spectre' effecting almost every modern-day processor), Microsoft released build #16299.192, or 'KB4056892'. This update patches the 'Meldown' bug and is supposed to install automatically. Obviously if it did install automatically for me, this thread would have no existence in the world of pixels. After running the windows 10 troubleshooter several times, 16299.192 refuses to install with either error code: 0x800f081f or error code: 0x8024a105. I have even tried to update with a different internet connection and to turn off my AV (anti-virus) with no luck. Anyone know of a fix?

Thanks.

Run the updator trouble shooter. Worst case Reinstall windows or repair it.

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K | Ram: 16GB Corsair LPX 3000 DDR4 | Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390 | GPU: EVGA RTX2080 XC | 960 EVO Samsung 500GB M.2 | 850 EVO Samsung 250GB M.2 | Samsung 1TB QVO SSD | 1TB HDD WD Blue 

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 2 in 1 9370 | I7 1065G7 | 32GB DDR4 | 1TB SSD |

Reinstall Windows using the media creation tool. I experienced the same errors and reinstalling Windows fixed it. You have the option to wipe out all of your installed programs but retain your files. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 minute ago, Killstreak said:

Run the updator trouble shooter. Worst case Reinstall windows or repair it.

See bellow:

5 minutes ago, JustAStrangeGeek said:

After running the windows 10 troubleshooter several times,

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

Reinstall Windows using the media creation tool. I experienced the same errors and reinstalling Windows fixed it. You have the option to wipe out all of your installed programs but retain your files. 

If possible, I would like NOT to reinstall Win10

If you haven't tried it you could try the dism tool https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7808-use-dism-repair-windows-10-image.html also make sure if you're using any anti windows 10 spying tools you disable all their things as they can totally break windows updates

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

If possible, I would like NOT to reinstall Win10

Why not? As long as your genuine product key is tied to your Microsoft account you’ll not face activation issues. You can download the update separately from Microsoft’s update catalog but with those errors you’re experiencing it might not work well as your PC might have registry errors which prevents WU installation. 

Just now, Cyracus said:

If you haven't tried it you could try the dism tool https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7808-use-dism-repair-windows-10-image.html also make sure if you're using any anti windows 10 spying tools you disable all their things as they can totally break windows updates

No, Not using any anti-spying tools or the such.

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

Why not? As long as your genuine product key is tied to your Microsoft account you’ll not face activation issues. You can download the update separately from Microsoft’s update catalog but with those errors you’re experiencing it might not work well as your PC might have registry errors which prevents WU installation. 

I don't wan't to go through the hassle of installing all of my programs over again. As I have quite the exhausting list

I don't wan't to go through the hassle of installing all of my programs over again. As I have quite the exhausting list

Try booting your PC to recovery by going to advanced startup options. If all of those fail, your last resort is to reinstall Windows. 

19 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

You have the option to wipe out all of your installed programs but retain your files. 

Good ol' Windows can't reinstall the OS without reinstalling the Programs too. So user friendly. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

23 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Good ol' Windows can't reinstall the OS without reinstalling the Programs too. So user friendly. 

Yeah. Not to mention you still can’t download a fresh copy of Windows 10 while the PC is rebooted to recovery mode. 

Threads merged