Help with one 4k and one 1080p monitor

I just got my new Acer RT280K - from what I can tell, an excellent 4k monitor.

However, one problem I am having is using it in conjunction with my second 1080p monitor.

Mainly, it is the different sized windows and the layout of my monitors in Screen Resolution options.

Right now, I have it set up so my 1080p is to the top right of my 4k monitor, and this isn't ideal as it means to go onto my second monitor I have can only go through the top right of my 4k monitor, is there any way to make it work as if it were two monitors of the same resolution.

I read some posts on people getting their 1080p monitor to upscale to 4k but keep displaying at 1080p - would this work for me? And if so, how do I do that?

Finally, playing Civ 5 is annoying as the UI does not scale at all. I was aware of this before I bought this monitor, however was just wondering if anyone knew of a mod or something that fixes this?

5 minutes ago, NinjaSandvich said:

I read some posts on people getting their 1080p monitor to upscale to 4k but keep displaying at 1080p - would this work for me? And if so, how do I do that?

Yeah, I was about to suggest this. You can do this with Virtual Super Resolution on Nvidia cards (it's in the Nvidia Control Panel), or with Dynamic Super Resolution on AMD cards (that one's on the Display tab in Radeon Settings). Turn it on and then set your monitor to the correct resolution (you have to choose scaling factor 4x on the Nvidia control panel so it shows up)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

3 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Yeah, I was about to suggest this. You can do this with Virtual Super Resolution on Nvidia cards (it's in the Nvidia Control Panel), or with Dynamic Super Resolution on AMD cards (that one's on the Display tab in Radeon Settings). Turn it on and then set your monitor to the correct resolution (you have to choose scaling factor 4x on the Nvidia control panel so it shows up)

I just tried this, and I enabled DSR under 'Manage 3D Settings' however the higher resolutions aren't showing up under 'Change resolution'. They show up on my 4k monitor but not my 1080p one.

I thought perhaps this could be because my 1080p is plugged in via DVI and (idk the max res for DVI) but maybe that doesn't support those high resolutions? Should I try using HDMI or something instead?

3 minutes ago, NinjaSandvich said:

I just tried this, and I enabled DSR under 'Manage 3D Settings' however the higher resolutions aren't showing up under 'Change resolution'. They show up on my 4k monitor but not my 1080p one.

I thought perhaps this could be because my 1080p is plugged in via DVI and (idk the max res for DVI) but maybe that doesn't support those high resolutions? Should I try using HDMI or something instead?

Interesting. I don't think the display is the case because the GPU is still sending 1080p to the monitor, but with an algorithm that makes it work like a 4K monitor. But you should try that anyway.

Also make sure you choose the upscaling factors in Manage 3D settings

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Interesting. I don't think the display is the case because the GPU is still sending 1080p to the monitor, but with an algorithm that makes it work like a 4K monitor. But you should try that anyway.

Also make sure you choose the upscaling factors in Manage 3D settings

It worked this time - still with DVI.

Idk what I did differently but I'm not gonna complain.

Thanks for the help :)

However, now my mouse cursor is really huge on my 1080p screen (understandably) and turning the scaling down just makes the text and everything else unreadable xD

Just now, NinjaSandvich said:

It worked this time - still with DVI.

Idk what I did differently but I'm not gonna complain.

Thanks for the help :)

However, now my mouse cursor is really huge on my 1080p screen (understandably) and turning the scaling down just makes the text and everything else unreadable xD

Yeah I had that problem as well on Nvidia hehe

A workaround was to change to the small mouse cursor in the mouse settings in control panel. This works for the desktop but not for games which will still display stupid big mouse cursor

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Yeah I had that problem as well on Nvidia hehe

A workaround was to change to the small mouse cursor in the mouse settings in control panel. This works for the desktop but not for games which will still display stupid big mouse cursor

I'll just try and get used to it I guess.

Also, is this really the only way to get this to function like this?

Are there no programs that do it, because it really makes the 1080p screen blurry...

I am willing to live with it if it is the only way, but if there is an alternative you know of that would be great :)

6 minutes ago, NinjaSandvich said:

Are there no programs that do it, because it really makes the 1080p screen blurry...

You can change the sharpness of the DSR algorithm in the Control Panel > 3D Settings. Fiddle with it until you find something that makes it the least blurry.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

You can change the sharpness of the DSR algorithm in the Control Panel > 3D Settings. Fiddle with it until you find something that makes it the least blurry.

Oh, that worked great - thanks again :D