PC won't start properly

Hi ppl,

So first my parts:

MoBo: GA-H170-WIFI

CPU: i5 6500

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury ddr4 2133mhz (2x4gb)

PSU: Corsair VS350

Cooler: Cryorig C7

So the issue I've been having is that whenever I plug in all the parts (24 pin plus the 4 pin esp, drive power and sata as well) and press the power button in the case the machine turns on, the dans spin as does the hard drive nothing happens on the screen and then ~20 seconds after boot the machine turns of and after 2 seconds the process repeats.

I have tried reseating the CPU taking out the wifi chip (which came with the MoBo) and swapping the RAM chips around. the systems light all show, even the one on the MoBo.... is that normal? and replugging the sata and power cables. My hunch is that there is an issue with the PSU or MoBo or I'm just pigheaded and missing something obvious, either way if there is a defective part it would be awesome if any one could tell me which it is, or any other help would be welcome too.

btw to all Australian pc builders, i now understand the pain of shipping, 3 weeks it took for parts to arrive!

What hard drive do you have, and are you able to see the bios splash screen at all or no?

without

11 hours ago, Tosa said:

Does it behave differently without any RAM?

without ram the pc starts for 15 seconds, no display output, then turns of and restarts the process

11 hours ago, NinJake said:

What hard drive do you have, and are you able to see the bios splash screen at all or no?

I Have multiple hard drives and an ssd, the hard drives are from my old system, some optiplex 780? The ssd is new (SSDSC2KW128G8X1) which is a 128gb intel one. as to bios splash screen, there is no screen output at all it stays exactly the same (yes I've made sure everything is plugged into the right port, the screen only has one HDMI, but ive tried the tv aswell)

3 hours ago, Lumi Digit said:

I Have multiple hard drives and an ssd, the hard drives are from my old system, some optiplex 780? The ssd is new (SSDSC2KW128G8X1) which is a 128gb intel one. as to bios splash screen, there is no screen output at all it stays exactly the same (yes I've made sure everything is plugged into the right port, the screen only has one HDMI, but ive tried the tv aswell)

What happens if you only have the SSD plugged in and try booting?

It couldn't hurt to try and clear the CMOS. It's that thing that looks like a watch battery on your motherboard. After shutting down and unplugging the power cord from the back of the PC, take that little battery out and put it back in after 20-30 seconds or so. This resets all of your motherboard settings back to default so if the issue is related to that, it'll fix it.

On 09/01/2018 at 3:20 PM, NinJake said:

What happens if you only have the SSD plugged in and try booting?

I've tried a combination of all drives and them separately, the results are always the same, sorry for late reply went camping.

On 10/01/2018 at 4:41 AM, stateofpsychosis said:

It couldn't hurt to try and clear the CMOS. It's that thing that looks like a watch battery on your motherboard. After shutting down and unplugging the power cord from the back of the PC, take that little battery out and put it back in after 20-30 seconds or so. This resets all of your motherboard settings back to default so if the issue is related to that, it'll fix it.

tried it and the result is still the same :(

I know you have said you swapped the RAM sticks around but have you tried using just one stick at a time in each slot? Also, make sure you don't have any bent pins on the motherboard. 

4 hours ago, Crosseyed92 said:

I know you have said you swapped the RAM sticks around but have you tried using just one stick at a time in each slot? Also, make sure you don't have any bent pins on the motherboard. 

yes, i made sure to swap the sticks around in all possible combinations, including single sticks in each slot. as to bent pins on the motherboard... I've only checked the CPU slot, ill check the RAM slots as well. thanks for the suggestion

When we had the symptoms you are describing on machines at work, usually the PSU was the culprit. 

While they were quality ones, they were old and couldn't deliver the power needed to the system anymore... (aging)

And even though many others here will slap me, I would say a 350 watts is really really the bare minimum... 

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

1 hour ago, Anghammarad said:

When we had the symptoms you are describing on machines at work, usually the PSU was the culprit. 

While they were quality ones, they were old and couldn't deliver the power needed to the system anymore... (aging)

And even though many others here will slap me, I would say a 350 watts is really really the bare minimum... 

For a modern gaming machine, I'd say make your minimum limit like 550 watts.

Sure, you'll probably be much lower than that, but what if you overclock everything and add a lot to your rig over time?

It's good to have headroom. My bottom limit is 650 watts personally.

20 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

For a modern gaming machine, I'd say make your minimum limit like 550 watts.

Sure, you'll probably be much lower than that, but what if you overclock everything and add a lot to your rig over time?

It's good to have headroom. My bottom limit is 650 watts personally.

So you suggest that i upgrade/get a new PSU, maybe the VS550? or maybe any other similar PSU around the same Wattage mark, I hope its the PSU that is the culprit, replacing the Motherboard or ram would be more difficult. Thanks 

2 hours ago, Lumi Digit said:

So you suggest that i upgrade/get a new PSU, maybe the VS550? or maybe any other similar PSU around the same Wattage mark, I hope its the PSU that is the culprit, replacing the Motherboard or ram would be more difficult. Thanks 

Only after you rule out everything else of course and no, I'd go a bit higher. 550 is still pretty low, but not like probably going to set on fire low :P  I'd go for 650 as the limit. You'll never need more unless you do SLI or something. Oh and make sure it's 80+ gold rating or higher. That's even more important.

18 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Only after you rule out everything else of course and no, I'd go a bit higher. 550 is still pretty low, but not like probably going to set on fire low :P  I'd go for 650 as the limit. You'll never need more unless you do SLI or something. Oh and make sure it's 80+ gold rating or higher. That's even more important.

Ok thanks, I think i might ask one of my friends if i can borrow his old rigs psu. see if that fixes the issue.

Ok did some research, I don't plan on ever having a GPU so would the   DeepCool DQ550ST 550W 80+ gold   work?

**if the PSU is the bug

(I bought the psu and fans from a seperate seller (au pccasegear.com) so returning parts will be easier, they have fast shipping) hope that makes sense

On 1/13/2018 at 3:11 AM, Lumi Digit said:

Ok did some research, I don't plan on ever having a GPU so would the   DeepCool DQ550ST 550W 80+ gold   work?

**if the PSU is the bug

(I bought the psu and fans from a seperate seller (au pccasegear.com) so returning parts will be easier, they have fast shipping) hope that makes sense

Yea, more than you need really.

I didn't realize you were never planning on putting a graphics card in there.

80+ gold is fine.

Not a gaming computer I presume.

On 16/01/2018 at 5:24 AM, stateofpsychosis said:

Yea, more than you need really.

I didn't realize you were never planning on putting a graphics card in there.

80+ gold is fine.

Not a gaming computer I presume.

Not really... mostly for study and if i can maybe Mac OSX will run on it (coincidentally the parts are comparable. YAY!). But it will be used for gaming, since i like playing indie games and other games with not very intensive graphics there is no need. I do render files quite a lot in Blender and edit videos so one of my friends is gonna give me a graphics card (on the lower end but enough for me).

At the moment i'm pretty sure the issue is the Motherboard or the PSU, i tested ram in my friends rig and it works like a charm, as to the cpu i haven't read about anyone with a similar issue to mine where the cpu was the bug, its always the mobo or psu. 

6 hours ago, Lumi Digit said:

Not really... mostly for study and if i can maybe Mac OSX will run on it (coincidentally the parts are comparable. YAY!). But it will be used for gaming, since i like playing indie games and other games with not very intensive graphics there is no need. I do render files quite a lot in Blender and edit videos so one of my friends is gonna give me a graphics card (on the lower end but enough for me).

At the moment i'm pretty sure the issue is the Motherboard or the PSU, i tested ram in my friends rig and it works like a charm, as to the cpu i haven't read about anyone with a similar issue to mine where the cpu was the bug, its always the mobo or psu. 

Now that you mention it, no one asked you to check your CPU temps.

I thought we already went over this, but I'm thinking of a different convo.

Do that next, because after reading back over your issue, an overheating CPU could totally be it.

Fire up hwinfo64 and check the temps on the 4 cores of your CPU.

It should be idling at about 30-40 degrees with that cooler I'm guessing.

If anything is over 80 degrees, that's the problem.

I just caught my dad's old computer showing the same symptoms as yours the other day and it was because the intel stock cooler on there had dried out thermal paste that wasn't doing the job.

• 1 month later...
On 18/01/2018 at 11:04 PM, stateofpsychosis said:

Now that you mention it, no one asked you to check your CPU temps.

I thought we already went over this, but I'm thinking of a different convo.

Do that next, because after reading back over your issue, an overheating CPU could totally be it.

Fire up hwinfo64 and check the temps on the 4 cores of your CPU.

It should be idling at about 30-40 degrees with that cooler I'm guessing.

If anything is over 80 degrees, that's the problem.

I just caught my dad's old computer showing the same symptoms as yours the other day and it was because the intel stock cooler on there had dried out thermal paste that wasn't doing the job.

Hi sorry its been a crazy few weeks,

I would have tested the temps of the CPU via software but that sadly wasn't an option. However, I did use a digital thermometer attachment on  a multimeter and it was around room temp (about 30C (86f) it did spike a little when it was on but not noticeably. don't worry I didn't short anything with it. Since I can't the solution I've sent it back to the store I got it from. If any part is broken they'll replace it and send them all back. If any part died to static death (which I doubt since I used adequate safety methods plus the high humidity here) it will only be $50AU to send back and if I want I can replace that part through other means, I will update this page however on what the issue was to help people of the future with the same issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello people if the internet and people with this issue and the kind people who have helped me,

The faulty part on my computer was the RAM!! it will be replaced and hopefully my computer will work shortly when i receive the parts. thanks to all that have given suggestions and all.

Just to make it easier:

the ram was brocken

cheers from Australia,

Lumi Digit