Answer in hints at Zhihu rumoured Surface Phone

GoldenLag

Original site: https://wap.ithome.com/html/342016.htm

For those who do not understand chinese: https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-china-says-cortana-will-work-better-surface-phone-android/

Long rumoured Surface device, it will be interesting if this materializes and how the Surface take on a Phone will be.

Depending on how different the Surface is to todays flagships it may open up for traditional pc manufacturers in on the smartphone market. It may open for a design change among the flagship market instead of the 10 or so rather similar snapdragon 835 devices that excist out there.

Surface has brought some nice designs in on the market. Lets see how this unfolds.

Edit: title included Quora. I simply entered wrong. Zhihu is similar to Quora which was mentioned in the english article

Edit: Quote: answer to 

First of all, Siri and Bixby, two intelligent assistants installed in the smartphones, and Cortana is a third-party application, permissions support may be embarrassing. Windows Phone users may know that Cortana in Windows Phone was better than the Cortana app, Windows Phone Cortana was a lot easier to use. Microsoft Cortana (Xiao Na) is a cross-platform smart assistant, available across all devices including PCs and smartphone, trying to do more like WeChat Noda. For the smart assistant, permissions is a good thing, looking forward to the perfect performance of the Surface Phone (although Hana do not know will not be a surface phone). Of course, as a smart assistant, the pace of development is still relatively slow, but Cortana team will be working hard to make the assistant better. Last year in 3rd-anniversary celebration, Cortana saw all new features and support, three years is not a long time, but the move on this road Hana never forget, Microsoft Cortana team must live up to expectations.

Didn't some higher up at Microsoft claim they completely ended their Surface phone project.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Didn't some higher up at Microsoft claim they completely ended their Surface phone project.

I belive ive heard that aswell. Though its most likely that there wont be another Win10 phone. We might see a modified android OS or a new OS by Microsoft. 

Dont quote me ln this though, im just speculating

The Surface Phone as idea haves potential but it shouldn't stay as just idea...

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

A Phone without good OS?

WindowsMobile - fail

WindowsPhone 7 - fail

WindowsPhone 8 - fail

WindowsPhone 8.1 - fail

WindowsPhone 10 - fail

at the moment I even refuse to buy a used $50 Nokia 930 (Win10) to replace the one I broke 

every time Microsoft have worked hard to make it fail, no Update for at the time new Lumia models, changes in the API (break old apps), license cost for OEM, ...

is there hope?

Windows 10 on ARM!  and the SurfacePhone is like the Motorola Atrix or Asus Padfone?

I used to love my 850 but the recent updates has caused it to crash if you do anything. Open camera, texts, even unlocking the phone. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

20 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

@vorticalbox might be due to 1GB of RAM, my LG P880 (1gb ram) suffer from similar problems

with 2GB everything runs fine except the bugs in apps for example in Edge how they handle multiple taps

The Lumia 850 has 3gb of ram. Still super annoying if you use their flash tool and released to a monster old version no issues at all. 

I have an s8 now so not really a problem but still I like things to work. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

5 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Don't know what MS could make as a defining feature of their phone. Cortana? Pfft

Windows S on a phone would be very cool. Maybe you could dock it and use as a pc? Cool concept tbh.

4 hours ago, Pangea2017 said:

A Phone without good OS?

WindowsMobile - fail

WindowsPhone 7 - fail

WindowsPhone 8 - fail

WindowsPhone 8.1 - fail

WindowsPhone 10 - fail

at the moment I even refuse to buy a used $50 Nokia 930 (Win10) to replace the one I broke 

every time Microsoft have worked hard to make it fail, no Update for at the time new Lumia models, changes in the API (break old apps), license cost for OEM, ...

is there hope?

Windows 10 on ARM!  and the SurfacePhone is like the Motorola Atrix or Asus Padfone?

Well the idea of Windows 10 on ARM, is just like 32-bit, 64-bit version of Windows. In other words, essentially, they Have the source code of Windows 10, pick ARM, and hit compile. So they don't need to support 2x OSs like Windows 10 Mobile was, or WinRT. It won't be a special OS. So even I'd market share is weak, it won't really costs more to support ARM version.

The issue now, is the interface, and based on leak info, MS is working on fixing that with an adaptable interface, called CShell, replacing the legacy Shell32. Meaning, on paper, the phone can be like Windows 10 Mobile when in "phone layout mode", and tablet mode or desktop mode when unfolded as a tablet.