building a work intensive pc

This will be my first PC build so any help is super appreciative.

I have a build here just to give you a general idea of what im looking for. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Rhsb4C

My budget is around 2500-3000 USD. The only things i dont want to compromise is the CPU performance and the amount of Ram.

My primary use for this PC is going to be game development, so ill be working in engines like Unity, and Game Maker. Other than that I work in Photoshop alot and on my current pc it tends to lag when my files get bigger. And i also work in FL studio which is a music program that also tends to lag on my current computer when the file sizes get bigger. Just for reference my current computer is a really weak $500 desktop i got on blackfriday.

im also big into gaming, so id like to be able to play games comfortably if possible.

Im sure there is a ton that can be optimized on my build that i linked, so any changes and suggestions are welcomed.

also im aware some things are probably way overkill, but id rather be safe than sorry. so have fun

THANK YOU

3 minutes ago, lineshark said:

I have a build here just to give you a general idea of what im looking for. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Rhsb4C

My budget is around 2500-3000 USD. The only things i dont want to compromise is the CPU performance and the amount of Ram.

My primary use for this PC is going to be game development, so ill be working in engines like Unity, and Game Maker. Other than that I work in Photoshop alot

and on my current pc it tends to lag when my files get bigger. And i also work in FL studio which is a music program that also tends to lag on my current computer

when the file sizes get bigger. Just for reference my current computer is a really weak $500 desktop i got on blackfriday.

im also big into gaming, so id like to be able to play games comfortably if possible.

Im sure there is a ton that can be optimized on my build that i linked, so any changes and suggestions are welcomed.

also im aware some things are probably way overkill, but id rather be safe than sorry. so have fun

THANK YOU

the build you have speced up is high end but deffo not top end, i would consider Ryzen instead of Intel. With your workload you will get way more bang for your buck!

Intel Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4Ghz  Sapphire R9 290 Vapor X 4GB  |  Vengeance® K70 & M65  W10 Pro

3 minutes ago, MrMarriarty said:

the build you have speced up is high end but deffo not top end, i would consider Ryzen instead of Intel. With your workload you will get way more bang for your buck!

Hmm, do you have any suggestions? Im not to familiar with the ryzen series. If not no worries, ill probably look into it. Thanks :) 

Just now, lineshark said:

Hmm, do you have any suggestions? Im not to familiar with the ryzen series. If not no worries, ill probably look into it. Thanks :) 

i dont think Threadripper would be worth the investment but deffo look at Ryzen 7... dont quote me on it but i believe the 1600x is the best buy?

Intel Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4Ghz  Sapphire R9 290 Vapor X 4GB  |  Vengeance® K70 & M65  W10 Pro

3 minutes ago, lineshark said:

R7 1700, motherboard whatever you like, as long as it has the X370 chipset it's fine.

1 minute ago, MrMarriarty said:

i dont think Threadripper would be worth the investment but deffo look at Ryzen 7... dont quote me on it but i believe the 1600x is the best buy?

Price/performance the R5 1600 is a very good one, 1600x is for people that want a 1600 but don't want to OC.

It's a good balance between raw performance and price for gaming. Thing is that workloads like FL studio, photoshop and whatever can use all 8 cores an R7 1700 for example has to offer. And with a bit of work it can have a nice overclock as well. Great value for money :P

And it doesn't need insane cooling either. The simple tower cooler that's already in the build will be enough.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

3 minutes ago, MrMarriarty said:

2 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

R7 1700, motherboard whatever you like, as long as it has the X370 chipset it's fine.

I would not condone Ryzen for this build. FL Studio appreciates cores and if he needs to multi-task at all with these heavy workloads then more cores is a good choice. For that reason, I recommend he stick with the i7 he has or something similar. Threadripper is going too far into the multi-tasking domain, so a hex-core is fine.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

Just now, LtStaffel said:

I would not condone Ryzen for this build. FL Studio appreciates cores and if he needs to multi-task at all with these heavy workloads then more cores is a good choice. For that reason, I recommend he stick with the i7 he has or something similar. Threadripper is going too far into the multi-tasking domain, so a hex-core is fine.

R7 1700, 8 cores/16 threads and with a bit of luck can be overclocked to 4Ghz. If it wants cores, why is that not good then?

The I7 has 6 cores/12 threads. As far as i know 8 is more than 6.

16 cores/32 threads is indeed a bit crazy and expensive but i don't see an issue with an 8-core...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, LtStaffel said:

I disagree one app that wont use all the cores does notmake up for the rest of his apps that will benefit from it. If you want to stick with team blue Xeon x**** / or worksation W chips

17 minutes ago, lineshark said:

My primary use for this PC is going to be game development, so ill be working in engines like Unity, and Game Maker. Other than that I work in Photoshop alot and on my current pc it tends to lag when my files get bigger. And i also work in FL studio which is a music program that also tends to lag on my current computer when the file sizes get bigger. Just for reference my current computer is a really weak $500 desktop i got on blackfriday.

THANK YOU

I think the build you spec-ed out is good. The only thing I have against it is your PSU, I would recommend this one instead. I say this because WHEN (not IF) you upgrade your GPU or add another, you will want more head room. Also, the CX series is not the best for this kind of machine. I don't know much about cooling, so I would get someone else's input on what they suggest (your cooler may be great, or just fine, or not at all, I don't know)

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

R7 1700, 8 cores/16 threads and with a bit of luck can be overclocked to 4Ghz. If it wants cores, why is that not good then?

16 cores/32 threads is indeed a bit crazy and expensive but i don't see an issue with an 8-core...

Ah I forgot the 1700 is 8 core and not 4, my bad :P@lineshark Look into Ryzen 7

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, MrMarriarty said:

For a $3000 rig? Get the top of the line Ryzen 7 chip.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

made some changes:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  ($388.89 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: Thermalright - Macho X2 Limited Edition CPU Cooler  ($55.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus - Prime Z370-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($154.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team - Vulcan 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($359.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($149.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Mini Video Card  ($549.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($108.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($52.98 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive: LG - WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($46.99 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($89.89 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: Lenovo - L24q 23.8" 2560x1440 60Hz Monitor  ($199.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2218.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-07 10:17 EST-0500

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

3 hours ago, samcool55 said:

unfortunately the 6 core i7 is a lot better in terms of ipc and clockspeed meaning that it actually beats out the 8 core in most applications.

2 hours ago, ImNotThere said:

unfortunately the 6 core i7 is a lot better in terms of ipc and clockspeed meaning that it actually beats out the 8 core in most applications.

In decent multi-threaded applications what's the case here they perform very similar, difference is that the 1700 is 300 bucks on newegg, a decent gap compared to 390 for an 8700k on newegg.

If you have an example from a decent source where an overclocked 8700k beats an overclocked 1700(x) or 1800x in a non-gaming multithreaded workload, let me know because i couldn't find one where there was a clear gap.

Wow thanks for all the help guys. Definitely feel more comfortable going into this now. ?