MSi Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon vs GIGABYTE AORUS Z370 ULTRA GAMING?

MSi Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon vs GIGABYTE AORUS Z370 ULTRA GAMING?

MSI.

I'm going to get flak for this but I don't care, Gigabyte are trash and have been since Z270 launched. Something changed at Gigabyte during the transition between Z170 & Z270, the issues started manifesting themselves on the lower end boards at first but in the last 6 to 9 months it seems like buying anything from them is a crapshoot.

Heat issues

power delivery issues

incompatibility issues

Instability issues

UEFI updates that break more than they fix

I wouldn't take a Gigabyte board if it was given to me.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

41 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

MSI.

I'm going to get flak for this but I don't care, Gigabyte are trash and have been since Z270 launched. Something changed at Gigabyte during the transition between Z170 & Z270, the issues started manifesting themselves on the lower end boards at first but in the last 6 to 9 months it seems like buying anything from them is a crapshoot.

Heat issues

power delivery issues

incompatibility issues

Instability issues

UEFI updates that break more than they fix

I wouldn't take a Gigabyte board if it was given to me.

Yup, the aorus sure has some VRM heat issues.

Do you think I will be able to hit 5ghz with my i7 8700K with MSi board?

On 2018. 01. 07. at 11:30 AM, Master Disaster said:

I can back this up. The latest bios version on my gigabyte z270 broke overclocking. The settings don't take effect, no matter what. I tried cold start, capacitor draining, numerous restarts, removing all dimms to "force it to reconfigure itself" I don't even know... Their software utility worked for a while, but now it just locks up the system. I rolled back to the earliest possible version, and I'm hoping overclocking will work with that.
This is a low end board (z270 hd3p), so I'm looking at midrange MSI and Asrock boards now (MSI Krait, pro carbon, m3, m5; Asrock extreme4; ASUS prime A). I just don't know how their VRMs are set up. I bet the 8+4 on the asrock extreme4 is doubled, but I don't know if the 6+4 phases on MSI boards are 6 real + 2 doubled, or 3+2 doubled.
Any suggestions, please?

My R2700XT build:  r7 2700 @4.1 Ghz max 65C - Sapphire Pulse rx 5700xt @1625Mhz 955mV 1300rpm fans, max 82C - Asrock B450 gaming k4 - Gskill Ripjaws 2x8GB @3200mhz CL16 - Be Quiet Straight Power E11 650w - Fractal Meshify C - EK-Kit S240 - NB eLoop 120mm PWM - Be Quiet Shadow Wings 140mm 1000rpm - Bitfenix Spectre LED PWM 120mm - Samsung 250GB 860 Evo - Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Peripherals:  Acer XF270HBbmiiprzx 144hz 1080p TN - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Coolermaster MK750 - CM Storm Reaper - Logitech G303 - Logitech G502 - Logitech G603

Audio:  Hyperx Cloud Stinger - Samson SR850 - Trust Screamer - Creative Gigaworks T20 II

Back when I had an MSI Godlike Gaming X99 board, there were loads of issues across their entire range of boards with high rates of failures. Mine failed and I got a DOA replacement with the same issue, and their forums were full of people having the same failures and error messages on the post LEDs. I dont know if they've fixed this yet, but I would honestly say neither and to go for either Asus or Asrock.

Linus is my fetish.