First time tube bending.....

I've already decided to purchase the saw, and tube inserts from EKWB, but I am unsure on what type of heatgun I should buy for the project, or what sort of "bending tool" I should use. What would you guys recommend and why? I don't want something pointlessly expensive, but I do not mind spending the money for something that's going to be useful.

2 hours ago, Doomerson said:

I've already decided to purchase the saw, and tube inserts from EKWB, but I am unsure on what type of heatgun I should buy for the project, or what sort of "bending tool" I should use. What would you guys recommend and why? I don't want something pointlessly expensive, but I do not mind spending the money for something that's going to be useful.

It doesn't need to be anything special but a general heat gun ideally with temperature control will work. You setting up the tubing and moving it around will affect the heating and bending of the tube more than the actual heat gun itself. 

I don't even think there's any real need to buy a heat gun with temperature control. The only criteria I see as important is having a flat back. I've always used a cheap one I bought locally. Stick with one temperature and learn what sort of distance you need between the tubing and heat gun to get the tube to a malleable temperature in a time frame that isn't too short or too long (20-30 seconds is ideal).

For bending tools, I use Barrow's mandrel kit. If you wanted you could buy a more expensive variant such as Monsoon's kit (which I believe comes with a heat gun also), however I get perfect bends using Barrow's kit, which is a fraction of the price.

Case Design | CAD | Custom Watercooling Parts | Loop Design | Cable Sleeving and Management 

Fittings Guide  |  Most recent completed build: Glass & Aluminium  |  Current build(s): Project Starscream

6 hours ago, Doomerson said:

AlphaCool Handtool for bending is all you need for bending unless you want some kind of unique bends. The tool is about 12 dollars & any Heatgun will do.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

6 hours ago, Doomerson said:

Any heat gun with a flat end is good.

I bend free hand, the only tool I use occasionally is the corner of my table.

I would recommend getting some aluminium tube cutter which is the only thing I was unhappy with the ekwb kit, the saw was a bit inefficient. Getting a metal tube cutter will ease minor adjustments

Also I would get a deburr tool.

2 minutes ago, Doomerson said:

Reamer will work just fine. 1500W heat gun is perfect. Got the same tube cutter which works well. Tends to leave a light mark on PETG tubing but that is typically hidden inside the fittings. I use these for quick cutting, but they're not really necessary if you have the adjustable one you linked above, and they can deform the tube slightly. Good to go

Case Design | CAD | Custom Watercooling Parts | Loop Design | Cable Sleeving and Management 

Fittings Guide  |  Most recent completed build: Glass & Aluminium  |  Current build(s): Project Starscream

13 hours ago, W-L said:

Those options look alright, just make sure it's PETG tubing as that tubing cutter will only work with that kind of material. 

Acrylic tubing appears to be to fragile for my preference anyways :P 

13 hours ago, AperumDesign said:

Reamer will work just fine. 1500W heat gun is perfect. Got the same tube cutter which works well. Tends to leave a light mark on PETG tubing but that is typically hidden inside the fittings. I use these for quick cutting, but they're not really necessary if you have the adjustable one you linked above, and they can deform the tube slightly. Good to go

Thank you! I'm pretty excited to get started. I need a bit more money, I actually plan on getting a laptop soon too, so whenever my main rig is down I still have something to work on. I'm a college student and need it for online classes.