Apple sheep switching to Android

So I'm currently looking for a new phone after kinda getting tired with Apple seeing as though I don't want to shell out $1000 or more for the best of the best when I can go get that somewhere else for quite a bit less. I currently have an iPhone 6s Plus and I want to upgrade. I love the look of the Razer phone and from the reviews it seems like a great phone but I also like the look of the bezel-less screens like the S8 and iPhone X (gd damn $1000). If bezel-less phones are the future I don't really want to be behind the curve on that beautiful evolution. Anyway, any recommendations? Also, any recommendations on Android watches? I have an Apple Watch Series 2 and it's changed the way I use my phone quite a lot and I hope Android watches can do a lot more. Thanks!

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

If you're not in any hurry, I would really advise waiting for the phones that come out this year. Thin bezels, curves and maybe even more 120Hz displays will be on more phones this year for sure. If they do it right, the S9 may be excellent this year based on leaks. 

11 minutes ago, Gamessys said:

So I'm currently looking for a new phone after kinda getting tired with Apple seeing as though I don't want to shell out $1000 or more for the best of the best when I can go get that somewhere else for quite a bit less. I currently have an iPhone 6s Plus and I want to upgrade. I love the look of the Razer phone and from the reviews it seems like a great phone but I also like the look of the bezel-less screens like the S8 and iPhone X (gd damn $1000). If bezel-less phones are the future I don't really want to be behind the curve on that beautiful evolution. Anyway, any recommendations? Also, any recommendations on Android watches? I have an Apple Watch Series 2 and it's changed the way I use my phone quite a lot and I hope Android watches can do a lot more. Thanks!

I would suggest that you take a look at the Pixel 2 XL, regardless of the burn-in controversy. You'll get a comparable experience to an iPhone, with new OS updates that arrive directly from Google. If you care about having a headphone jack and wireless charging, I'd suggest checking out the LG V30.

As for watches, I recently picked up the Ticwatch S, which is a fantastic Android Wear 2.0 smartwatch. The Tickwatch E is almost identical but doesn't have a GPS antenna.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

11 minutes ago, Gamessys said:

i would look at the pixel 2.  Probaaly the best android device on the market atm.  other wise s8 or s8+?  i personally have the note 8 but its quite expensive as compared to other phones.  as for the watch i really like the samsung gear s3.  Stylish and great design

Current Rig=  AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ultra, 32gb Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 3000hz White, EVGA 750 P2 PSU, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 500gb samsung 860 evo, 250GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 2TB seagate firecuda sshd,  LianLi PC 011 Dynamic XL ROG edition, Corsair h150i elite capelix

Since LTT released a lot of smartphone reviews lately, I would suggest watching them if you need a phone soon. If you want a cheaper phone with similar capabilities I would suggest maybe a OnePLus 5T, a Pixel 2 XL or a V30.

Just now, Fstern said:

Since LTT released a lot of smartphone reviews lately, I would suggest watching them if you need a phone soon. If you want a cheaper phone with similar capabilities I would suggest maybe a OnePLus 5T, a Pixel 2 XL or a V30.

Yeah I'm watching the Razer phone review right now as a starter

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

Personally I like a bit smaller of phones, so you might be different. But I can say I love my s8. Its not crazy expensive, great size, battery life, and beautiful display.

I still use my old pebble time round with it too. I only really use it for notifications and some quick emoji replies to texts, and Slim is my #1 factor for a watch so its about perfect, but again your personal preference is going to be totally different

Edit, whatever android you do decide getting, download a better keyboard like swiftkey (all android stock keyboards are trash imo) and a different launcher (Arrow launcher and Nova launcher are a couple of my favorites)

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

Something cheep - Oneplus 5t

Something amazing - Pixel 2/xl (the xl is an amazing phone, i bought it after upgrading from a iphone 7 plus, i havent had any of the issue that have been said about it (burn in, blue shift) but thats just my model, so snappy, amazing camera and the customisability just mmmmm yes. Stock andriod is just YESSSSS, amazing battery life, plus usb c all the thingsssss)

Something gorgeous - Samsung S8/S9 when they come out

Just now, Beckyisponymad said:

Something amazing - Pixel 2/xl (the xl is an amazing phone, i bought it after upgrading from a iphone 7 plus, i havent had any of the issue that have been said about it (burn in, blue shift) but thats just my model, so snappy, amazing camera and the customisability just mmmmm yes. Stock andriod is just YESSSSS, amazing battery life, plus usb c all the thingsssss)

Sounds like I might need to go check out the Pixel 2 XL in person, glad I'm going to the mall tomorrow lol. Thanks for your input!

Just now, Beckyisponymad said:

also on the watch side of things i have a misfit vapor, honestly great watch, love it to bits, andriod wear is amazing, i came from an apple watch series 2 and it is very different but worth it. Tic watches are good too or the samsung gears if youre into that aesthetic. the Misfit is like the applewatch in the sense its a fitness tracker too, waterproof and everything so if youre into that, it sgreat

Depends on what you plan on doing with it. If you have plans on maybe experimenting with custom roms after your warranty is up and could afford a new phone, pixel 2 is your best bet.

Rig: Thermaltake Urban S71 | MSI Z77 G45-Gaming Intel Core i5 3570K (4.4Ghz @ 1.4v) CM Hyper 212 EVO | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB | MSI GTX 660 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 3TB HDD | EVGA 850W B2

1 minute ago, Gamessys said:

Sounds like I might need to go check out the Pixel 2 XL in person, glad I'm going to the mall tomorrow lol. Thanks for your input!

any questions HMU, i was in your position a few months ago when i got away from apple finally!

On 1/5/2018 at 8:11 PM, Gamessys said:

I think you should get the Google pixel 2

Pixel 2 XL, LG V30, Mi Mix 2 isn't as premium but the successor to the original bezel-less phone, Sony Xperia xz premium (decent battery life, amazing 4k display, front facing speakers), one plus 5t.

All good picks, from different price points to different selling points.

PS a bonus recommendation, the essential phone, not as well regarded by most, but a solid build and bezel-less.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240