Advice on repurpose of old PC as NAS

MrGore

Hi everyone,

im in need of help. I want to repurpose my dads old PC as NAS. It has a Q6600 and 4 GB of RAM (DDR2). It does not support onboard RAID but i want to make a RAID 5 with 4 HDDs á 2TB (WD Red).

I'd upgrade the RAM to 8GB

My questions are: is this a good plan and what controller should i use

Edit: Its for a media archive.

Best regards to all of you from Austria!

Forget about the RAID. Have 2 volumes one a backup of the other. RAID won't protect from accidental deletion, overwrite or file/filesystem corruption.  RAID is for minimizing downtime in the event of hardware failure. This is not really a concern in your use case.

4 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Forget about the RAID. Have 2 volumes one a backup of the other. RAID won't protect from accidental deletion, overwrite or file/filesystem corruption.  RAID is for minimizing downtime in the event of hardware failure. This is not really a concern in your use case.

So 2 HDDs and make weekly backups on one of them instead of RAID? I'd need to buy 2x 6TB WD Reds right?

You could do that. Or you could use FreeNas and build a nice little box with a small raid. While it wont protect you from accidental deletion, it has great integration with Plex for media things.

I run backup every 15min on my personal NAS. It only backs up changes and doesn't overwrite the old backup files so I have a history of all changes to a file(so long as they are at least 15min appart).  How many and what size drive you get is dependent on use case.  But WD reds are a great choice for NAS.

2 minutes ago, Kered124 said:

You could do that. Or you could use FreeNas and build a nice little box with a small raid. While it wont protect you from accidental deletion, it has great integration with Plex for media things.

Thats exactly what i wanted to do with this old PC

BUT HOW.

ive built PCs but no servers or NAS Systems yet

I own a 10TB external HDD so backup is no major isseue

20 hours ago, MrGore said:

BUT HOW.

If you mean using FreeNAS ( you don't know how to install it and install plex server) there are a lot of tutorials on internet. Installing FreeNAS I might say it is easier than installing windows I can say......... creating a volume is the same as the windows one but it have more options (encrypting and setting up how you want to be the layout RAID(Z2,Z3,Z5), stripped, mirrored, cached). I must to confess the fact that I've not installed the plex server because I wasn't home at the time and my brother did it, but it must be simple.

On 1/5/2018 at 3:48 PM, MrGore said:

BUT HOW.

FreeNas lives on a USB flash drive typically, so go buy an 8 or 16Gb flash drive. You will install the operating system to the flash drive instead of a hard drive. Plug in all of your hard drives over SATA and the setup built into FreeNas will walk you through creating storage space. There is a plugins section where you can install Plex with a couple of clicks. If you don't understand RAID configurations and what the pros/cons of each are, do a little research and make that decision yourself. Every person will give you a different answer as to which config is best and for what reasons. Try going through some of these steps and getting FreeNas installed, and post if you get stuck.