Help me build a lab server.

Gerr

I need to build a lab server on the cheap.  It doesn't need to be powerful, but I do need at least 8 cores and at least 32GB RAM as I will be doing a lot of virtualization with it, and would prefer 48-64 GB if possible.  It won't be turned on except when I need it, so only a single PSU is needed.  I have spare hdd's, so don't need those.  Would also like a system that doesn't sound like a turbine engine when turned on.  I would also prefer a tower system vs a rackmount system, but either would work.

My initial thoughts would be to get an old Xeon system from the Sandy or Ivy bridge generation and get a motherboard that uses registered DDR2/DDR3 RAM as it's cheap.  I would also like to keep the total cost at or under $500 if possible, but could go a little higher if required.

Any suggestion on parts or a used system?

4 minutes ago, Gerr said:

I need to build a lab server on the cheap.  It doesn't need to be powerful, but I do need at least 8 cores and at least 32GB RAM as I will be doing a lot of virtualization with it, and would prefer 48-64 GB if possible.  It won't be turned on except when I need it, so only a single PSU is needed.  I have spare hdd's, so don't need those.  Would also like a system that doesn't sound like a turbine engine when turned on.  I would also prefer a tower system vs a rackmount system, but either would work.

My initial thoughts would be to get an old Xeon system from the Sandy or Ivy bridge generation and get a motherboard that uses registered DDR2/DDR3 RAM as it's cheap.  I would also like to keep the total cost at or under $500 if possible, but could go a little higher if required.

Any suggestion on parts or a used system?

Er, Sandybridge is DDR3, so you'd DDR3 for that. I know there are some cheapish 8 core Sandybridge Xeons available now, have a look on ebay and see if there's any cheapish single socket LGA 2011 server boards. 

Yours faithfully

LGA2011 would be my recommended generation to aim for now days but might still be slightly expensive, LGA1366 is fine but really aging now.

23 hours ago, leadeater said:

LGA2011 would be my recommended generation to aim for now days but might still be slightly expensive, LGA1366 is fine but really aging now.

On 1/5/2018 at 8:08 PM, Lord Nicoll said:

Er, Sandybridge is DDR3, so you'd DDR3 for that. I know there are some cheapish 8 core Sandybridge Xeons available now, have a look on ebay and see if there's any cheapish single socket LGA 2011 server boards. 

I agree with them but I want to add something, right now you can find on eBay a lot of Xeon E5 .... v3 ES. They are cheap, yes but they shouldn't be for sale because they are engineering sample and might randomly die. I saw few of them at 100-250$ tho (100$ was 8 core and 250$ was something like 12 core).

10 minutes ago, KrYpToCiD said:

I agree with them but I want to add something, right now you can find on eBay a lot of Xeon E5 .... v3 ES. They are cheap, yes but they shouldn't be for sale because they are engineering sample and might randomly die. I saw few of them at 100-250$ tho (100$ was 8 core and 250$ was something like 12 core).

Problem with that isn't the CPU cost it's the cost of the rest of the system. You can get complete Dell servers for $200-$350 with ram and dual PSU etc.

Edit:

It's a good option if you're wanting to spend a bit more and get something with lower E5v3 CPUs and replace them, or no CPUs.

Just now, leadeater said:

Problem with that isn't the CPU cost it's the cost of the rest of the system. You can get complete Dell servers for $200-$350 with ram and dual PSU etc.

It was just an warning for those eBay xeons :) nothing more, nothing less, and yeah it will be better to use a complete server.

Check out my HCI build thread if you want an 'out of the box' (literally) take.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/836065-build-hci-developmenttest-stack/?tab=comments#comment-10445652

There are lots of well priced pre-builds out there for next to nothing, but older architecture.  '

Let me know if you end up needing DDR3 ECC memory, I have a good amount if 8GB sticks available.