Gaming + Video Editing

Hi all, I'm planning on building a PC for two major reasons: gaming (League of Legends), and Video Editing. I'm not fussed about the performance whilst gaming (have been playing on a $700 laptop the past 5 years), but I do want to be able to run Premiere Pro smoothly for editing. I edit high quality GoPro footage from travelling. 

I live in NZ and am looking to spend up to $1000 (NZD). Not including the monitor and other peripherals. I will start with a relatively cheap (~$400) 1920x1080 monitor, but want the compatibility to upgrade or have two monitors in the future. 

Thank you all for the amazing community here :) hope to hear from someone soon. 

8 minutes ago, CombatComedy said:

AMD or Intel

I would go amd they have the better budget productivity cpus 

1 minute ago, 42thgamer said:

I would go amd they have the better budget productivity cpus 

intel is a good professional chip, since he want to edit in HD I recommend an intel chip

7 minutes ago, CombatComedy said:

intel is a good professional chip, since he want to edit in HD I recommend an intel chip

Depends on the work flow. Ideally amd for the higher thread count and if they are doing cuda accelerated workload then gpu will cut down on alot of rendertimes

1K  NZ$ doesn't go very far when it comes to pc. I'm not sure you can achieve anywhere near decent 4K video editing with that budget.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 hour ago, LostKiwi said:

Hi all, I'm planning on building a PC for two major reasons: gaming (League of Legends), and Video Editing. I'm not fussed about the performance whilst gaming (have been playing on a $700 laptop the past 5 years), but I do want to be able to run Premiere Pro smoothly for editing. I edit high quality GoPro footage from travelling. 

I live in NZ and am looking to spend up to $1000 (NZD). Not including the monitor and other peripherals. I will start with a relatively cheap (~$400) 1920x1080 monitor, but want the compatibility to upgrade or have two monitors in the future. 

Thank you all for the amazing community here :) hope to hear from someone soon. 

Yeah I would recommend Intel as well. 

Former Bronze Contributor 

CPU: Intel i7-7700K 4.2 GHz / CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7  / Board: ASRock Z270 Taichi / GPU: Nvidia 1060 6gb EVGA SC / GPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken G12 with Thermaltake Water 3.0 120mm RAM: White Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2666 MHz SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo 250 and 3TB WD blue HDD / PSU: Corasir 550cx / Case: NZXT s340 Elite White 

Im a super Italian. Kapish.

5 minutes ago, brob said:

1K  NZ$ doesn't go very far when it comes to pc. I'm not sure you can achieve anywhere near decent 4K video editing with that budget.

1080p he said

1 hour ago, CombatComedy said:

1080p he said

Still not really feasible. A CX450 is over NZ$100! 

This is the closest I could get. Really should have an ssd and more, faster memory. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1400 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($255.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME A320M-A Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($127.00 @ Paradigm PCs) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($160.55 @ PC Force) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($74.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 2GB SC GAMING Video Card  ($229.95 @ Computer Lounge) 
Case: Silverstone - PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($53.52 @ Ascent Technology) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($102.34) 
Total: $1002.36
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-05 14:34 NZDT+1300

I'm unsure whether or not to choose AMD or Intel, I assume I will compare the recommendations online and read into it. 

I came up with the following list with a friend of mine whom recently built his own PC for the first time, feedback would be greatly appreciated! My main questions are: 

• how can I most effectively save a couple hundred dollars in this build? 
  • what case do you recommend?

p.s.

• the 2TB HDD will be purchased at a later date and is only on the list as an indication of my eventual requirements. 
  • the fully modular PSU seems to be the way to go as there isn't much in comparison at that price level when taking efficiency into account

PCPartPicker part list: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hHL8hq
Price breakdown by merchant: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hHL8hq/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7600 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($329.95 @ Computer Lounge) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B250M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($129.95 @ Computer Lounge) 
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($90.00 @ Paradigm PCs) 
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($90.00 @ Paradigm PCs) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($149.95 @ Computer Lounge) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($111.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB GAMING Video Card  ($379.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Power Supply: Silverstone - Strider Plus 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($118.91 @ Aquila Technology) 
Total: $1398.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-06 22:21 NZDT+1300

A four core i3-8100 is about half the price and around 90% the performance. If you can wait for motherboards using non-Z 3xx chipsets you should be able to save a fair bit. The six core i5-8400 is roughly the same price as the i5-7600 with much better performance. If you can, waiting for less expensive Coffee Lake motherboards would be a really good idea.

Buying single channel memory runs a small risk of it not being able to run as dual channel. G.Skill - Ripjaws 4 series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory is less expensive and has slightly better timings.

You might consider a less expensive ssd. Western Digital - Green 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

On 1/7/2018 at 4:54 AM, brob said:

A four core i3-8100 is about half the price and around 90% the performance. If you can wait for motherboards using non-Z 3xx chipsets you should be able to save a fair bit. The six core i5-8400 is roughly the same price as the i5-7600 with much better performance. If you can, waiting for less expensive Coffee Lake motherboards would be a really good idea.

Buying single channel memory runs a small risk of it not being able to run as dual channel. G.Skill - Ripjaws 4 series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory is less expensive and has slightly better timings.

You might consider a less expensive ssd. Western Digital - Green 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Thanks for the tips, all of this choice is starting to confuse me! But I'm enjoying the learning process. 

I found the intel i3-8100 for $190.00, and the AMD fx-8350 for the same price... the AMD seems the obvious choice, assuming there are no compatibility issues with the rest of the build. The AMD fx-8350 also compares much better to the i5-8400 in terms of value for money (is this the Coffee Lake CPU you suggested?). 

I cannot find the coffee lake motherboards you are referring to unfortunately. I guess that they're not available. 

Dual channel memory that you seggested also seems like an obvious choice now that you mention it, thanks! 

Also, I want a case with 1 front and 1 back fan, cheap suggestions? 

An i3-8100 has similar performance numbers to the FX-8350. However, it will have better gaming performance because Intel cores perform better and most games cannot make use of all available cores. Further, the i3-8100 runs on a more modern and better performing platform.

The FX-8350 is older technology. It uses slower DDR3 memory and has slower PCIe 2.0 lanes. Higher performance 990FX motherboards are difficult to find and quite expensive.

https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#sort=price&page=1 Less expensive motherboards tend to sell out rather quickly it seems. Intel is expected to announce new Coffee Lake chipsets this quarter, so supply may become more plentiful.

Corsair 270R is a good case. The other option is to get an additional fan with a 1 fan case.

Instead of an NVMe drive, why not get a 500GB SATA III ssd? The added fast storage space should improve video editing performance.

Or you can get a ryzen 5 or an i3

and aslong as you all do is editing ryzen 5 is the better it can also have the prefomance as an i5 or an i7 but few fps will drop like 5 or 10 but i would go for ryzen 5